Can't use EMC9 Drag to Disc

JMF

Question

I was using EMC7 Drag to Disc without any problem.

Recently I upgraded to EMC9. But, when I tried to use the Drag to Disc feature I was only able to see the files on my DVD or CD but not to copy files to the disc. There was a message about the disc being full or read-only -both assertions being untrue-. If I right clicked it under Properties the discs appeared as fully used.

I was using exactly the same DVD-RW or DVD+RW or CD media that I have been using flawlessly with EMC7. Besides I've two burners and both had the same problem.

I even tried to format the discs but the format always failed and I received a message about an "unspecified error".

I tried to uninstal EMC9 and reinstall it again, but it was to no avail.

Finally I uninstalled the newer version and installed again the older version. And then, at least, I recovered Drag to Disc full functionality -using exactly the same media that EMC9 had failed to write or to format-.

Just in case it helps I'd like to add that all my discs are created with the "use the disc on other computers" option.

Of course I'm not exactly happy with this situation. I'm thinking about installing again EMC9 without the Drag to disc feature. This way, I hope, EMC9 will be installed but the EMC7 Drag to Disc will continue working. And, I cross my fingers, nothing in EMC9 will affect the EMC7 Drag tio Disc functionality.

Now again, the best solution would be that the software I paid for, worked flawlessly, Drag to Disc newer version included.

Any help will be appreciated.

7 answers to this question

I can't figure out why none of the others, who frequent these forums, havne't spoken up on this issue. If you are using any packet writing software to backup any important data, you are playing Russian Roulette. Use Creator Classic to backup that data.

That's something I don't understand either. When I had this problem I checked the posts here and I was very surprised there was no mention to this problem.

Regarding the backups I'm reasonable safe because in addition to copying all documents, photos and music to DVD's, I synchronize their folders with my notebook.

You can then do a custom install with your old EMC and choose only Drag to Disk. /quote]

I didn't notice a single entry for Drag to Disc in EMC7. I had to choose Tools, and there it came Drag to Disc along with Label Creator, Media Manager, Capture and Roxio Player.

That's really strange and I can't figure what is happening.

Those were the my steps:

1. After EMC9 Drag to Disc failed I uninstalled it and installed EMC7 Drag to Disc. It worked as flawlessly as it has worked before I upgraded to EMC9.

2. I installed again EMC9 rejecting the installation offer to uninstall the previous version. I chose to install EMC9 in its own, separate folder. Anyway, at some point the installation routine advised me to shut down Drag to Disc because some files needed to be upgraded.

3. Once finished I had both Drag to Disc versions installed on my computer. I tried both of them on my two burners, with DVD-RW and DVD+RW media. Both failed but EMC7 worked once when I tried a new disc. But it failed too on the olders discs (that had been formatted with EMC7).

4. Finally I uninstalled EMC9 Drag to Disc and everything is rigth again. EMC7 Drag to Disc is working without problems. In spite the EMC9 installation warning about Drag to Disc files being upgraded I didn't need to install again EMC7 Drag to Disc.

5. Later I'try to create a music disc using Music Disc Creator just to verify if I can burn a disc without the same kind of problems I experienced with Drag to Disc.

6. I don't know if I'm losing something with this solution -EMC9 with EMC7 Drag to Disc-. But honestly I'm fed up with Drag to disc issues -some time ago I had to give up Nero IN CD because in spite of working fine it had the hateful mania to change de date stamp of the files being moved or copied-. I hope Vista includes the ability to drag to disc into the operating system and avoid users all this hassle.

It's probably just a matter of the newer version not writing to discs formatted with the older version.Have you tried just making a new disc with V9?It should work just fine.

As far as having V7/7.5 and V9 on the machine at the same time,that should work ok.

Well, I've tried to format an older disc, and it failed (unspecified error). I can understand the newer version not wrtiing to discs formated with the older version. But it should be able to reformat those discs. Otherwise I'll have a nice coasters collection.

I've read a post at this Forum about installing both versions and learned that there's no problem as long as I use separate folders. But I thought that both Drag to Disc versions would be uncompatible. I'll give it a try.

I have dabbled with V9 D2D a little and have had no serious problem with it.

As you mentioned, old discs are not writable by V9 but I have had no problem reformatting them.

Once formatted by V9 D2D, they are writable in older versions back to V6 (only one I tried).

Wish I had something more to offer you but I do not…

Well, I've tried to format an older disc, and it failed (unspecified error). I can understand the newer version not wrtiing to discs formated with the older version. But it should be able to reformat those discs. Otherwise I'll have a nice coasters collection.

I've read a post at this Forum about installing both versions and learned that there's no problem as long as I use separate folders. But I thought that both Drag to Disc versions would be uncompatible. I'll give it a try.

I can't figure out why none of the others, who frequent these forums, havne't spoken up on this issue. If you are using any packet writing software to backup any important data, you are playing Russian Roulette. Use Creator Classic to backup that data.

After doing a fresh install of EMC9 you can go to Control Panel, Add/Remove programs and you will see a seperate listing for Drag to Disk. Remove. You can then do a custom install with your old EMC and choose only Drag to Disk. This will install only the older Drag to Disk and you will have EMC9 functionality except for DTD9. Hope this helps.

It's probably just a matter of the newer version not writing to discs formatted with the older version.Have you tried just making a new disc with V9?It should work just fine.

As far as having V7/7.5 and V9 on the machine at the same time,that should work ok.

Archived