• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Installation Issue.

dcahill110

Question

I have a new ( purchased in August ) Dell XPS system specs are:

Windows XP Media Center Professional Edition

DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 1G, 533M, 128X64, 8, 240, 2RX8, for 2 GB Memory

PROCESSOR, PENTIUM D PRESLER, 940, 3.2G, 2X2M, C1

ASSEMBLY, DVD+/-RW, 16X, IDE HITACHI LG DATA STORAGE, CHASSIS 2005

HARD DRIVE, 250GB, S2, 7.2K, 8MG, LEAD FREE, SAMSUNG

GeFORCE 6600 OC, 512MB DDR ram on card, in the PCIExpress slot.

All my drivers, service packs and software versions are the most current available and updated 3 times a week.

This system was working absolutely perfectly....before I installed ECM9. Now it hangs at the "Starting Windows " Screen for hours. In fact, I left the macine running on this screen overnight ( monitor off ) and 8 hours later, no change.

Right now I am doing a complete reinstall of the OS, but it sure baffles the heck out of me that this is what seems to be the recommended solution to even get ECM9 to run. For the $100 I spent on this software, the 8 hours I have tried to get this running, and the grief of having to re-install the OS, oh yeah, I lost everything on that HDD because the system locked up so tight it would not even boot in safe mode, all this makes ECM9 seem to be a huge waste of my time and money.

I will give this one more shot, trying some of the things I have read here like the windows installation download, but I am as of right now a VERY unhappy customer seriously considering doing everything in my power to get a refund.

12 answers to this question

I have a new ( purchased in August ) Dell XPS system specs are:

Windows XP Media Center Professional Edition

DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 1G, 533M, 128X64, 8, 240, 2RX8, for 2 GB Memory

PROCESSOR, PENTIUM D PRESLER, 940, 3.2G, 2X2M, C1

ASSEMBLY, DVD+/-RW, 16X, IDE HITACHI LG DATA STORAGE, CHASSIS 2005

HARD DRIVE, 250GB, S2, 7.2K, 8MG, LEAD FREE, SAMSUNG

GeFORCE 6600 OC, 512MB DDR ram on card, in the PCIExpress slot.

All my drivers, service packs and software versions are the most current available and updated 3 times a week.

This system was working absolutely perfectly....before I installed ECM9. Now it hangs at the "Starting Windows " Screen for hours. In fact, I left the macine running on this screen overnight ( monitor off ) and 8 hours later, no change.

Right now I am doing a complete reinstall of the OS, but it sure baffles the heck out of me that this is what seems to be the recommended solution to even get ECM9 to run. For the $100 I spent on this software, the 8 hours I have tried to get this running, and the grief of having to re-install the OS, oh yeah, I lost everything on that HDD because the system locked up so tight it would not even boot in safe mode, all this makes ECM9 seem to be a huge waste of my time and money.

I will give this one more shot, trying some of the things I have read here like the windows installation download, but I am as of right now a VERY unhappy customer seriously considering doing everything in my power to get a refund.

Very likely could be a conflict with some preinstalled software on your Dell such as Sonic or Nero. Drag to Disc and Sonic DLA or Nero InCD conflict and only 1 can be installed at one time on a system.

This is not the Roxio site, its just a users forum where users try to help each other. You will have to contact Roxio about the refund.

Since we don't know what your problems are,we cannot help. You also have not given your system specs, "exceeds minimum requirements" does not mean very much.

I have several video software packages and not a single one runs without problems whether installing or during use.

Thanks Walt, I copied the first part of my post that I did send directly to Roxio, and Yes I realize that this is a user forum, I have visited many times before to work out bugs in EMC 7.5. as I found Roxanne a waste of my time. I am glad the forum is here because the Roxio support is much weaker! I did not post my specs, I found others in the forum with the same problems as mine similar hardware,so I am following any useful info they receive short of reformatting my hard drive and manually editing the registry, that is above my pay grade, I would mess it up if you know what I mean. I have had to uninstall EMC because it as made XP on my machine unstable. I am running it on another hard drive in this machine, "clean," with XP and still having problems as I try to fix them. I am ready to throw in the towel and maybe try Adobe and pay big bucks. I am moving in that direction anyhow with what I am asking the program to do.

Have a Merry Christmas.

Lisa Ross

ps. Yes I do have two hard drives on my machine, keeps the kids downloads off my drive to fend off viruses spyware and etc that we do not catch with firewall, software fixes etc...learned the hard way tow years ago.

Very likely could be a conflict with some preinstalled software on your Dell such as Sonic or Nero. Drag to Disc and Sonic DLA or Nero InCD conflict and only 1 can be installed at one time on a system.

Well, I just finished completely reinstalling the OS and am going to try EMC9 one more time. I hope this works because the $100 bucks I spent is just too much to loose.

If I was a betting man, I would bet that there was some type of conflict during the first install. I remember being asked if it was ok to remove a couple of programs. Some type of pre-loaded cr-burning program and CinePlayer.

I did not reinstall either of these and the install of EMC9 has not asked to remove anything yet.

Ok, the moment of truth....

Finished the reinstall...rebooting now.....

and....

and.....

Windows XP Screen.....

Starting up screen....

Welcome screen....

YAY ! ! ! !

I see the desktop !!

Looks like It is installed.

One HUGE favor I need to ask of you folks here that know a LOT more than me.

Would somebody please link the post or posts that detail how to optimize EMC9 ( ie what to turn off in the startup menu and so on. ) I have stumbled upon that info here in the past day or so, but a quick link would be greatly appreciated.

I have nearly the same Dell configuration and the same problem. I was able to get the OS back by booting into safemode and running a scandisk. Then and only then would XP boot all the way to the login screen. Dell 32 bit diagnostics all ran fine and indicated that the drivers, RAID devices and SCSI devices were all happy.

BTW - after installing EMC9 - I made it through the first reboot, I started using the program, burned one CDR and then I rebooted and I got the "starting windows" screen. wham!

I have since uninstalled EMC9. What specifically did you need to uninstall to get yours to work? Dell and MSFT are not helpful.

many thanks,

GT

I have a several-year-old Dell and am currently looking at the "Windows is Starting Up..." screen. Here's how I got there:

1. I had previously installed EMC 8, which runs reasonably well on my desktop.

2. I purchased and downloaded EMC9 and the content CD to my desktop. I also have it available on the laptop currently being used to write this.

3. I uninstalled EMC 8 and the content CD, and power-cycled my PC.

4. I installed EMC 9 with no problems. I did select a custom install to see whether I could deselect Drag-to-Disc, but I ultimately accepted all of the defaults. I saw no error messages and made no choices except to allow access to the web for one component.

5. I did let Norton Internet Security 2007 run in the background while I did the install. Hopefully this wasn't the cause...

6. I power-cycled my PC, which only gets to the "Windows is Starting Up..." screen.

7. Finally, I'll note that I haven't installed the content CD yet.

Any suggestions??

Disable the Norton while installing - that's standard advice on any installation really

Also - check on the MAKER's site for updated graphics drivers - NOT the Dell ones (they tend to be a bit behind) and certainly never the Microsoft ones

Install DirectX 9.0c from MS

post-2743-1166927771.jpg

I have nearly the same Dell configuration and the same problem. I was able to get the OS back by booting into safemode and running a scandisk. Then and only then would XP boot all the way to the login screen. Dell 32 bit diagnostics all ran fine and indicated that the drivers, RAID devices and SCSI devices were all happy.

BTW - after installing EMC9 - I made it through the first reboot, I started using the program, burned one CDR and then I rebooted and I got the "starting windows" screen. wham!

I have since uninstalled EMC9. What specifically did you need to uninstall to get yours to work? Dell and MSFT are not helpful.

many thanks,

GT

Back to the topic at hand...

I have successfully passed the "starting Windows screen" and have successfully installation EMC9 on my Dell windows xp machine.

Here is what I did:

If your stuck in the "starting windows screen" just before the login screen, get your self into safe mode, run scan disk, it will do it on a reboot and allow you to pass to the login screen

Once you back into windows UNINSTALL ROXIO 9 Suite and Drag to disk. The are seperate so do Roxio 9 first and then Drag to disk

Now, you should be able back to normal.

Create a restore point

Uninstall ALL software including Dell preinstalled NERO, SONIC (I have a Hitachi DVD camera that I had to uninstall software. that I uninstalled anyway). Any sofware the creates DVD's or burns files to your DVD drive. I did not do anything inside of XP to disable the drives.

Create a new restore point. Shutdown your antivirus sofware. Install Roxio 9.

Then - UNINSTALL Drag to Disk - ( This feature is way too buggy and conflicts with too much). Update your video driver as inststructed by the program.

I am going to reinstall some of the software I removed so I can isolate the specific conflict. I will post if I find anything.

No need for litigation...

Disable the Norton while installing - that's standard advice on any installation really

Also - check on the MAKER's site for updated graphics drivers - NOT the Dell ones (they tend to be a bit behind) and certainly never the Microsoft ones

Install DirectX 9.0c from MS

post-2743-1166927771.jpg

Thanks for the quick response. I'm still in the same boat but have new steps in the process to report.

1. I was able to uninstall EMC 9 by booting to Last Known Good, and I followed the instructions elsewhere in the forum for completing a clean uninstall to include cleaning the registry.

2. I used MSConfig to disable all programs in the Startup tab, including Norton.

3. I power-cycled and came up clean, and then updated my video drivers to the latest (in my signature).

4. I already had DirectX 9.0c installed, and power-cycled once more.

5. The second install of EMC 9 went smoothly through to the reboot. I accepted all of the defaults.

6. Finally, I'm back at the "Windows is starting up..." screen waiting.

Who out there besides us three Dell users is experiencing this problem??

:angry:I would like to get a refund on the Easy Media Creator 9 software I recently purchased. I bought it at Best Buy and cannot return it because it is opened.

I installed it on my computer, which exceeds minimum requirements or EMC9 I am running Windows XP and have had nothing but error messages, I cannot use the program, I also cannot spend hour upon hour seeking support for this software, searching discussions for fixes etc, etc. I own EMC 7.5, had some intitial problems with it but now it is working fine with a new Sony burner. I had hoped this new version would be a pleasure to use, it has been nothing but trouble.

When I had problems with EMC 7.5, I found that " Grandpa Bruce" on the discussion boards to post very helpful fixes. You should have him on staff.

I will be seeking a different company for future media suite software, I wish Roxio could release software without so many bugs. People should not have to resort to formatting hard drives, uninstalling all other media software or doing clean installs to get your software to work. Do not tell me this is a windows issue, you are passing blame, you have to develop for windows, so learn how to do it correctly, Microsoft has enough issues with out you sending us there for a fix! It won't be coming! I am willing to join litigation to resolve this problem if that is necessary.

Please respond ASAP regarding the refund proceedure I need to follow.

Respectfully,

Lisa Ross

Granpa Bruce, I want to thank you for all of your help in the past...Unfortunately, I need to move on from this software, I do have a life outside of becoming a computer techie and when I buy a product I need it to work out of the box without too many issues so I can live my life and not spend my days in tech support or on the discussion areas for fixes. EMC 7.5 is working fine for me but I am ready to get more features, I will have to move to another media software provider to find what I want, I do a lot of DVD burning movie slideshow creation and need widescreen and HD capability in the software....any suggestions would be helpful... evne if it involves big bucks.... thanks again.

Lisa Ross

:) I would like to get a refund on the Easy Media Creator 9 software I recently purchased. I bought it at Best Buy and cannot return it because it is opened.

I installed it on my computer, which exceeds minimum requirements or EMC9 I am running Windows XP and have had nothing but error messages, I cannot use the program, I also cannot spend hour upon hour seeking support for this software, searching discussions for fixes etc, etc. I own EMC 7.5, had some intitial problems with it but now it is working fine with a new Sony burner. I had hoped this new version would be a pleasure to use, it has been nothing but trouble.

When I had problems with EMC 7.5, I found that " Grandpa Bruce" on the discussion boards to post very helpful fixes. You should have him on staff.

I will be seeking a different company for future media suite software, I wish Roxio could release software without so many bugs. People should not have to resort to formatting hard drives, uninstalling all other media software or doing clean installs to get your software to work. Do not tell me this is a windows issue, you are passing blame, you have to develop for windows, so learn how to do it correctly, Microsoft has enough issues with out you sending us there for a fix! It won't be coming! I am willing to join litigation to resolve this problem if that is necessary.

Please respond ASAP regarding the refund proceedure I need to follow.

Respectfully,

Lisa Ross

Granpa Bruce, I want to thank you for all of your help in the past...Unfortunately, I need to move on from this software, I do have a life outside of becoming a computer techie and when I buy a product I need it to work out of the box without too many issues so I can live my life and not spend my days in tech support or on the discussion areas for fixes. EMC 7.5 is working fine for me but I am ready to get more features, I will have to move to another media software provider to find what I want, I do a lot of DVD burning movie slideshow creation and need widescreen and HD capability in the software....any suggestions would be helpful... evne if it involves big bucks.... thanks again.

Lisa Ross

This is not the Roxio site, its just a users forum where users try to help each other. You will have to contact Roxio about the refund.

Since we don't know what your problems are,we cannot help. You also have not given your system specs, "exceeds minimum requirements" does not mean very much.

I have several video software packages and not a single one runs without problems whether installing or during use.

Archived