• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 47 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

andyloc

2 Divx Files To 1 Dvd-r, How Long?

Question

I am trying to make 2 DivX files to go onto one DVD-R with a menu to make playable on a normal set-top DVD player.

I went through the process, which is easy to do, excellent interface, clicked go..

it taking ages though, I used dvdSanta before and it wizzs through it, why id DivX-to-DVD taking this long?

It says its on phase 1 of 3? what are these phases? how long should it take?

Looks a great tool, but does it always take this long?

cheers

21 answers to this question

I am trying to make 2 DivX files to go onto one DVD-R with a menu to make playable on a normal set-top DVD player.

I went through the process, which is easy to do, excellent interface, clicked go..

it taking ages though, I used dvdSanta before and it wizzs through it, why id DivX-to-DVD taking this long?

It says its on phase 1 of 3? what are these phases? how long should it take?

Looks a great tool, but does it always take this long?

cheers

It's re-encoding the 2 files to dvd standard mpeg2 for burning. Depending on the length of the files, in time, and your pc's system specs determines how long that process will take. 1 of 3, 1 and 2 are the 2 files, 3 is the Menu.

ok understand, is it done in real time then? e the movies are both 1hr 30mins ljong, so it will at least be 3 hours?

dvdSanta used to be quick not sure exactly how quick though.

It was on phase 1 for about 1hr and it had only done 12% though, I have a 3.06GHz Pent4, 512Mb RAM?

any ideas?

ok understand, is it done in real time then? e the movies are both 1hr 30mins ljong, so it will at least be 3 hours?

dvdSanta used to be quick not sure exactly how quick though.

It was on phase 1 for about 1hr and it had only done 12% though, I have a 3.06GHz Pent4, 512Mb RAM?

any ideas?

I don't know what dvdSanta does in it's process as I have never used it myself. I can only guess that it is doing some other type of rendering process, like maybe a simple single pass process.

EMC 8 I believe is doing a more in-depth process for it's encoding.

It's usually going to be longer than 'real time' (1:1), but how much longer depends on many factors. In this instance you are trying to put 3 hours on a single disc, so it's not only re-encoding but compressing also to get it to fit. That process will be longer than if it was say only 1 hour long total. Also, what other things are running in the background can have an effect on it. Like TSR's that are checking every file for viruses, spyware, etc. The more background things you can turn off the better as it will free up resources that it can use.

Your specs listed look ok, altho I would suggest looking into bumping your ram up to 1gb. That would help. The one thing not listed that also can have an effect is your video card and how much memory it has. The encoding is also heavily dependent on that hardware and it's directX capabilities.

sorry I have a gforce 6200 turbocache supporting 256Mb RAM.

Is there a best way to bbot up to end tasks, background stuff? ie a hardware profile or something?

so if I know I want to DivX to DVD then I can choose this? or is there a better/easier way.

Also can DivX-to-DVD shut down the computer after it has completed the task?

cheers

Isn't DivX to DVD in version 7? Or are you using video compilation in Disc Copier in Version8?

Pretty sure it wasn't out until 7.5.

Pretty sure it wasn't out until 7.5.

I still have v7 on one computer and it isn't there.

its is in version 8, or is it in mine anyway.

DivX-to-DVD, if you goto the "home" page, then click on DVD there it is

That's not the same thing. The 'DivX-to-DVD' that was in v7.5 was an 'add-on' program. The 'DivX DVD' that is in v8, that you pointed to on the Home screen, uses the new version of Disc Copier that now has a video compilation feature. This new feature can use divx files, so that's probably why the one from 7.5 was not included in v8.

So, you are using v8 and that function, correct?

Edited by lbissonette

That's not the same thing. The 'DivX-to-DVD' that was in v7.5 was an 'add-on' program. The 'DivX DVD' that is in v8, that you pointed to on the Home screen, uses the new version of Disc Copier that now has a video compilation feature. This new feature can use divx files, so that's probably why the one from 7.5 was not included in v8.

So, you are using v8 and that function, correct?

Funny, I never even realized it was titled differently and just thought it was an 'energized' version of Divx to DVD until Larry pointed it out. But, can't say I use it so I never even paid it much attention.

I don't use the HOME application at all. Also note that in V8 on HOME, it's just labelled 'Divx DVD'. It does not say Divx TO DVD. LOL

errmm no its not, it labelled up as DivX-to-DVD in Home on EMC 8

Not on mine....it's definitely not the same thing as in v7.5.

post-79-1138286529.jpg

errmm no its not, it labelled up as DivX-to-DVD in Home on EMC 8

Not on mine either. And it opens Disc Copier. Different than the program in 7.5

post-71-1138289552.jpg

Not on mine either. And it opens Disc Copier. Different than the program in 7.5

post-71-1138289552.jpg

Hi

Must be one of the differences in the european to U.S. versions.DivX-to-DVD.jpg

Hi

Must be one of the differences in the european to U.S. versions.DivX-to-DVD.jpg

That's interesting. :)

Does yours open up Disc Copier like mine, as shown in my screenshot?

That's interesting. :)

Does yours open up Disc Copier like mine, as shown in my screenshot?

Yes it opens disc copier the same.

Hmmm... interesting. Thanks for point that out.

I wonder if both versions are based on VSO's version??? I would think that if it's titled 'Divx to DVD', it most likely is.