Want to use WXP Explorer, but EMC9 won't let me!

Terri

Question

I just installed EMC9 a few days ago. No problem with that.

Now today, I want to click & drag a few files to my CD burning drive, and Roxio Drag-to-Disk kicks in, uninvited.

PLUS, the link to my CD burning drive no longer shows up in my Send To menu (when I right-click the selected files).

PLUS, when I turn on the Task Pane in WXP Explorer, the "Burn these files to disk" link is gone!

Therefore, I can't use Windows to burn to disk. I feel HIGHJACKED!!!

Roxio says it wants to format the disk (which I've already used, and erased), and that that's going to take 20-40 minutes!!

What the hell is going on here? I've never used a Roxio product before, and am beginning to regret my purchase.

Please help!! Their stupid "Ask Roxanne" online help system does nothing for me!

Thanks in advance....

Unhappy in Michigan :)

8 answers to this question

I just installed EMC9 a few days ago. No problem with that.

Now today, I want to click & drag a few files to my CD burning drive, and Roxio Drag-to-Disk kicks in, uninvited.

PLUS, the link to my CD burning drive no longer shows up in my Send To menu (when I right-click the selected files).

PLUS, when I turn on the Task Pane in WXP Explorer, the "Burn these files to disk" link is gone!

Therefore, I can't use Windows to burn to disk. I feel HIGHJACKED!!!

Roxio says it wants to format the disk (which I've already used, and erased), and that that's going to take 20-40 minutes!!

What the hell is going on here? I've never used a Roxio product before, and am beginning to regret my purchase.

Please help!! Their stupid "Ask Roxanne" online help system does nothing for me!

Thanks in advance....

Unhappy in Michigan :)

First, disable Drag to Disc in your desktop tray (taskbar). Then, click on Start/Run, and type in msconfig in the text box, and click ok. When the next screen comes up, click on the Startup tab, and uncheck the box by Drag to Disc. Click on Apply, then ok, and reboot.

When your computer boots up, put a check in the box in the lower left corner of the popup, so you won't get that popup every time you boot up.

Now, you should be able to use the Windows CD burning program, but I would use the Creator Classic program that came with EMC 9.

Thanks, Bruce! By the way, I see you're a veteran; thank you for your service!! I just ordered a few care packages via treatanysoldier.com; Merry Christmas to you & any other vets who use this forum.

First, disable Drag to Disc in your desktop tray (taskbar). Then, click on Start/Run, and type in msconfig in the text box, and click ok. When the next screen comes up, click on the Startup tab, and uncheck the box by Drag to Disc. Click on Apply, then ok, and reboot.

When your computer boots up, put a check in the box in the lower left corner of the popup, so you won't get that popup every time you boot up.

Now, you should be able to use the Windows CD burning program, but I would use the Creator Classic program that came with EMC 9.

Holy smokes, DG, I feel like an idiot--didn't even check there, I was so steamed!

You can easily uninstall Drag to Disc. It is listed separately in the Control Panel - Add/Remove Apps

Even with drag to disc set not to load on startup, I found that I had to right click on my burner drive, click 'disable drag to disk for this drive' to be able to burn audio CDs in WMP 11. Annoyingly it resets itself on every system startup. So even with Drag to Disc not started it does seem to hijack the burner for some functions. Don't know if this affects the XP method of copying to a CD, as I don't use that.

Thanks, Bruce! By the way, I see you're a veteran; thank you for your service!! I just ordered a few care packages via treatanysoldier.com; Merry Christmas to you & any other vets who use this forum.

Holy smokes, DG, I feel like an idiot--didn't even check there, I was so steamed!

Thank you, Terri. Merry Christmas to you, too.

Did you get your problem solved?

Even with drag to disc set not to load on startup, I found that I had to right click on my burner drive, click 'disable drag to disk for this drive' to be able to burn audio CDs in WMP 11. Annoyingly it resets itself on every system startup. So even with Drag to Disc not started it does seem to hijack the burner for some functions. Don't know if this affects the XP method of copying to a CD, as I don't use that.

I actually uninstalled it completely. I never use it anyway.

Archived