• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Capture woes

ARSJ

Question

I have some home movies I put on DVD with a DVD recorder (not the computer) and when I try to capture in Video wave 7, I get an error that the file may be currupted and capture had to be stopped. They play fine, but I get the same errror wth several I have spot checked. Anybody know how to fix or get around this?

22 answers to this question

The presence of the VIDEO_RM folder is the key. This indicates that the media was formatted as a DVD+VR project and is not finalized.

Pop it back in the Recorder and finalize it. Then it will act as 'normal' DVD Movie.

Hi James, Double checked, the Disc is finilazed, but it does still show free space, even though you can not access it. I wonder if that is a problem with the DVR I used, Cyberhome 1200?

Thanks for the suggetion, any help will be appreciated.

Thanks, :-)

You may have to use another program to "decrypt" the structuring that has been placed by your VHS to DVD recorder. However, have you tried to just copy the Video_TS file to your Hard-Drive and then working with it? Have you tried DVD Shrink or DVD Decrypt. DVD Shrink is good for compressing DVD's and DVD Decrypt can create ISO images for burning multiple copies of your home movies on DVD's.

I know that the DVD Creator wants to convert VOB files to MPEG, at least mine wouldn't work with VOB's until they were recaptured. Then I didn't have a problem working with the MPEGs, however; it is annoying to not be able to just work with the VOB files and create menus and bookmarks without the conversion.

Hi DeejMaster,

Thanks for the help, it's a little above my head, what will the the decrypting do? Does it make it where I can capture it or is there something else I will do after I "decrypt" it?

I did try to copy the Video_TS file then capture it, but I am not sure I tried to do that right, the capture in Video Wave di not see it as a "title" or video, if I am using the right terminology?

When you say re-capture, do you mean, to hook up the camera and capture again in EMC?

Thanks for your help, any suggestions I will appreciate.

:-)

Hi James, Double checked, the Disc is finilazed, but it does still show free space, even though you can not access it. I wonder if that is a problem with the DVR I used, Cyberhome 1200?

Thanks for the suggetion, any help will be appreciated.

Thanks, :-)

Hi DeejMaster,

Thanks for the help, it's a little above my head, what will the the decrypting do? Does it make it where I can capture it or is there something else I will do after I "decrypt" it?

I did try to copy the Video_TS file then capture it, but I am not sure I tried to do that right, the capture in Video Wave di not see it as a "title" or video, if I am using the right terminology?

When you say re-capture, do you mean, to hook up the camera and capture again in EMC?

Thanks for your help, any suggestions I will appreciate.

:-)

Is that listing of the files in the Video_TS folder complete? IF yes then that is where a problem might be since there should also be at least 2 IFO files in that folder.

ARSJ,

Try this,

you want to rename only the vob files. Make a new folder somewhere on the hard drive. Save the Video_TS folder to the new folder.

When using windows xp.

Make sure the extensions of known files are shown.

In tools, folder options, view (tab), uncheck hide extensions for known file types.

Now right click rename VTS_01_1.VOB, ( 1.mpg ) click to a empty spot in the folder and see if it changes to 1.mpg Movie file (mpeg). Then open

Video wave 7 and first try to add the video not capture.

cd

Hi CD,

OK, I changed the name of the file and it shows as MPEG. When I went to the file in Video Wave to add it shows a hour glass then changes to a circle with a slash and I am not able to do anything with it. But just for curosity, when I double click on it, in the actual file, WMP opens it right up and plays it. I am going try the DVD decrypt, although when I searched for it the first time, I could not find it, everything I found said it was no longer available. I will look for the DVD shrink and see what comes up. Thanks for all your help, any other suggestions, please let me know. :-)

Is that listing of the files in the Video_TS folder complete? IF yes then that is where a problem might be since there should also be at least 2 IFO files in that folder.

The Video_TS and VTS_01_0 from the list are both listed as IFO type files.

I sometimes get a file corruption error on disks that I have dubbed from VHS to DVD. I haven't found a way around it except to recapture. That's probably not what you wanted to hear. Maybe someone else will have a real solution for you.

Yeah your right not exactly want I wanted to hear, but did you mean that you had to "re-dubb" them? I have tried to capture them several times and still the same error and with different disc, also.

ARSJ,

Try this,

you want to rename only the vob files. Make a new folder somewhere on the hard drive. Save the Video_TS folder to the new folder.

When using windows xp.

In tools, folder options, view (tab), uncheck hide extensions for known file types.

Now right click rename VTS_01_1.VOB, ( 1.mpg ) click to a empty spot in the folder and see if it changes to 1.mpg Movie file (mpeg). Then open

cd

ARSJ,

Try this,

When using windows xp.

cd

I think he tried that and it didn't work for him. As this is a VR disc the vob files are probably not contiguous resulting in problems.

I never used VR on my Recorder once I saw all of the problems it creates when trying to deal with the files.

If he can't Finalize the disc in the Recorder, he may have to capture again using the Video format for the media. – Played with one this morning in my Recorder and it would not offer the Finalize option for a DVD-RW disc formatted in VR mode.

Post the disc structure, I want every ifo, bup, and vob just like they appear on the DVD!

cdanteek

There are two files one is Video_RM and Video_TS,

within the RM file there is:

DVD_REC,

PVR_Temp,

Video_RM,

Video_RM (different icon),

VIDEO_RM.BUP.

In the Video_TS file there is Video_TS,

VIDEO_TS.BUP,

VIDEO_TS.VOB,

VTS_01_0,

VTS_01_0.BUP,

VTS_01_1.VOB,

VTS_01_2.VOB,

VTS_01_3.VOB,

VTS_01_4.VOB.

I hope this is what you were looking for. I appreciate any advise on this.

Thanks,

Yeah your right not exactly want I wanted to hear, but did you mean that you had to "re-dubb" them? I have tried to capture them several times and still the same error and with different disc, also.
When I re-dubbed the error would go away. I've never had a persistent error I couldn't work around.

Post the disc structure, I want every ifo, bup, and vob just like they appear on the DVD!

cdanteek

Hmm . . . are you thinking like me that FixVTS might clear things up??

I think he tried that and it didn't work for him. As this is a VR disc the vob files are probably not contiguous resulting in problems.

I never used VR on my Recorder once I saw all of the problems it creates when trying to deal with the files.

If he can't Finalize the disc in the Recorder, he may have to capture again using the Video format for the media. – Played with one this morning in my Recorder and it would not offer the Finalize option for a DVD-RW disc formatted in VR mode.

I don't own one of these to play with! What I have read I wouldn't buy one!

The video mode seems the way to go but everything I read says you can close the disc on -RW +RW

disc's in VR mode.

I also read the decrypting all the vobs to one mpeg. Seems the options are out there for the op

he just has to Google and read for them. No hands on when one doesn't have the files to play with.

The DVD wrote in the +R/RW VR mode, what I have read uses a invalid DVD disc structure. The video

only plays back on the recorder that wrote it, correct?

cd

I don't own one of these to play with! What I have read I wouldn't buy one!

The video mode seems the way to go but everything I read says you can close the disc on -RW +RW

disc's in VR mode.

I also read the decrypting all the vobs to one mpeg. Seems the options are out there for the op

he just has to Google and read for them. No hands on when one doesn't have the files to play with.

The DVD wrote in the +R/RW VR mode, what I have read uses a invalid DVD disc structure. The video

only plays back on the recorder that wrote it, correct?

cd

I don't have my head completely around these things…

My Recorder (Sony RDR-GX7) produces VR discs that only it can read. My newer player, also Sony, can't read the Recorders VR discs!

The Recorder manual says you may have to Finalize VR discs for other devices to use them. But when I tried, 'Finalize' was grayed out…

(Manual also says if Format Setup is set to Choose, you will be offered VR or Video options when you format. – Mine was setup that way but only offered OK or Cancel! – this will probably be the last Sony product I buy…)

Discs Recorded in Video format work like this. 'Dash' RW discs must be Finalized to be usable elsewhere, but 'plus' RW discs do not and Finalize is grayed out. Never used an R disc in it.

I started out with some –RW discs when I got it, but once I found out that +RW could go from Recorder to PC without any fuss, that is all I use in it now.

Actually these Recorders are very handy for someone who does not have an A/D converting device. You can hook up any device that has RCA jack output to the Recorder and it will record. (they will not record copyrighted material of course)

Then, assuming you have the VR issue under control, you can move the disc to your PC and use Roxio to edit & burn with.

One other item – with VR format once you start erasing programs the Recorder uses that open space then jumps to a new location on the disc if more space is needed. That is why I mentioned that vobs would not be contiguous and a computer would not understand that jump during copy.

James, thanks for the run down. The one I read about most, was a JVC

and alot of folks were not happy with the compatibility issues. Your talk about erasing and jumping all over the disc, does follow the invalid disc structure I read about.

cd

You may have to use another program to "decrypt" the structuring that has been placed by your VHS to DVD recorder. However, have you tried to just copy the Video_TS file to your Hard-Drive and then working with it? Have you tried DVD Shrink or DVD Decrypt. DVD Shrink is good for compressing DVD's and DVD Decrypt can create ISO images for burning multiple copies of your home movies on DVD's.

I know that the DVD Creator wants to convert VOB files to MPEG, at least mine wouldn't work with VOB's until they were recaptured. Then I didn't have a problem working with the MPEGs, however; it is annoying to not be able to just work with the VOB files and create menus and bookmarks without the conversion.

There are two files one is Video_RM and Video_TS,

within the RM file there is:

DVD_REC,

PVR_Temp,

Video_RM,

Video_RM (different icon),

VIDEO_RM.BUP.

In the Video_TS file there is Video_TS,

VIDEO_TS.BUP,

VIDEO_TS.VOB,

VTS_01_0,

VTS_01_0.BUP,

VTS_01_1.VOB,

VTS_01_2.VOB,

VTS_01_3.VOB,

VTS_01_4.VOB.

I hope this is what you were looking for. I appreciate any advise on this.

Thanks,

The presence of the VIDEO_RM folder is the key. This indicates that the media was formatted as a DVD+VR project and is not finalized.

Pop it back in the Recorder and finalize it. Then it will act as 'normal' DVD Movie.

Tried the FixVTS and still get the ame error. Also, now when I go to the Video TS file in Capture it now shows four titles, two of which it shows has errors, I have tried to capture the othe two togother and individually and still nothing. If I had of known the issues that would have come up after using the Cyber home DVR I would not have used it, but it was easy to use. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

I found DVDShrink and using the "backup" to my hard drive and then trying to capture and I still recieved the same message, ran FixVTS, still got the same error message from cpature in VW7, Disc error. Then I tried the Re-Aurthor and I am not sure what I am looking at but in the Main Movie section it shows two titles and when I click on them in the preview, they are the same movie, which is the Home Movie I recorded on the Cyber home DVR 1200. Does anybody know why it is showing two titles? So I rearthored with DVD Shrink using one tiltle and it (EMC7 Capture would not even read it all then. Is there something I need to do, I have been reading around and thoght maybe the IFO needs to be fixed?

Any help on this would be appreciated, even an upgrade to EMC 9 would be OK if I knew it woudl work,

:)

Actually, FixVTS should be able to clean up the funky VOB files if you have the folder copied to disk.

Tried the FixVTS and still get the ame error. Also, now when I go to the Video TS file in Capture it now shows four titles, two of which it shows has errors, I have tried to capture the othe two togother and individually and still nothing. If I had of known the issues that would have come up after using the Cyber home DVR I would not have used it, but it was easy to use. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Archived