IE 7 vs EMC9

ww4u

Question

I recently installed EMC9 after removing all my previous Sonic Software as recommended by Roxio's website. I am experiencing many IE7 errors and see error reporting being sent on each of the errors IE7 describes while using EMC9. As I continue building MYDVD project with photos EMC9 says it has encountered an error and shuts down. Sometimes I must use Windows Task Manager to close EMC9 when these unfriendly errors occur.

I finally saved my project several times after adding 5-10 photos to the project. It seems when I add photos and EMC9 opens the folders for the search of those photos, IE7 has errors, after adding photos to my EMC9 project, EMC9 will error and close or lock up with program not responding.

I have installed the current video driver and I have a

Dell

Dimension 8250

Processor Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.40GHz

Processor Speed 2.33 GHz

Memory (RAM) 1024 MB

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Operating System Version 5.1.2600

I can't understand why I am experiencing so many IE7 errors and EMC9 abnormal endings. Any ideas?

Thanks

17 answers to this question

I suggest that you download and save to your hard drive (any convenient folder will do) the latest drivers from ATI/AMD:

http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

Note that the driver software now comes with catalyst control center (CCC) instead of the control panel of old. The CCC requires .NET framework 1.1 or 2 to be installed, so if you don't have that install it first.

If in add/remove there are entries for the ATI control panel and drivers, uninstall them restart. Windows will detect new hardware and will want to install drivers: cancel those installs (you will get a message that the new hardware may not function properly, ignore that). Install from the downloaded file.

If Windows did not put the ATI items in add/remove, install from the downloaded file on top of existing, it may update OK, which you can test after a restart by checking the file versions in device manager. If not, the driver install also installs an ATI software uninstall utility that appears as such in add/remove. Use that it will uninstall the drivers and software. Restart, Again cancel Windows attempt to install drivers and install from the downloaded file. Restart.

Alternatively, follow the instructions given here for manual removal of old software:

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default...uestionID=20870

I recently installed EMC9 after removing all my previous Sonic Software as recommended by Roxio's website. I am experiencing many IE7 errors and see error reporting being sent on each of the errors IE7 describes while using EMC9. As I continue building MYDVD project with photos EMC9 says it has encountered an error and shuts down. Sometimes I must use Windows Task Manager to close EMC9 when these unfriendly errors occur.

I finally saved my project several times after adding 5-10 photos to the project. It seems when I add photos and EMC9 opens the folders for the search of those photos, IE7 has errors, after adding photos to my EMC9 project, EMC9 will error and close or lock up with program not responding.

Dell

Dimension 8250

Processor Speed 2.33 GHz

Memory (RAM) 1024 MB

I can't understand why I am experiencing so many IE7 errors and EMC9 abnormal endings. Any ideas?

Thanks

Do you have the final version of IE7 installed?

Yes I have the final version of IE7 but since I installed it I have seen a slow down in boot ups and general web browsing. Plus other IE7 errors that send reports of the problems it is encountering.

Not to be a smart but why don't you simply uinstall IE7 ? It offers noting that you can't get with Firefox.

I am tempted to uninstall IE7 and I do use Firefox 2.0 as my primary browser. I read that Firefox uses more memory than IE7. But I did not have the problems I do now with IE7 installed.

Do you have IE6 installed and use EMC9 successfully. I can get EMC9 to run successfully but not without a bumpy road with multiple errors to create just one project.

I didn't have any of the problems discussed here in the same way but there are some serious issues with IE 7, ATI drivers, Net framework and Roxio 9. I had a lot problems wtih Roxio 9 after installing IE7 also, not to mention other problems with IE7. But I got tired of trying to find solutions to my problems and just decided to reinstall WinXP. Knowing that you need at least Net framework 2 to work with my ATI radeon 9200 video card, I thought that I would install Netframework 3. Bad idea. It caused Roxio 9 to not work right at all. Even though I uninstalled Netframework 3, Roxio 9 still would not work right. Since I installed Roxio 9 right after the install, I decided to reinstall WinXP again. Good thing I'm pretty organized because I've reinstalled WinXP more than once lately. Not mention my other computer where IE 7 caused Roxio 7.5 to not work properly. I reinstalled that as well. I don't think I will install IE 7 for a long time, not to mention Netframework 3. There was a period where hardly anything ever went wrong with WinXP. Now it's one problem after the next. Personally, I find Netframework annoying; it makes you login because it creates some mysterious user.

All the dotNet installations created a 'net user' - all you need do is go to control panel, user accounts and delete it there.

It's a fallacy btw that dotNet 3 is an 'update' to dotNet 1 or 2 - in fact, for some things I need to have BOTH dotNet 1 AND dotNet 2 installed here. They install separately and operate separately so if you have programs installed that need dotNet 1, 2 or 3, you need to install ALL of them

Just on a side note - a friend of mine who is a professional web designer told me some time back that all his contacts were considering charging extra to make websites IE7 compatible :)

Seriously, I use Firefox all the time and never run up IE except for Windows Updates (although I believe that MS now have a patch to allow FF to do it). I would never even consider IE7 - the initial rerports showed it to be seriously flawed as far as security went.

I suggest that you download and save to your hard drive (any convenient folder will do) the latest drivers from ATI/AMD:

http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

Note that the driver software now comes with catalyst control center (CCC) instead of the control panel of old. The CCC requires .NET framework 1.1 or 2 to be installed, so if you don't have that install it first.

If in add/remove there are entries for the ATI control panel and drivers, uninstall them restart. Windows will detect new hardware and will want to install drivers: cancel those installs (you will get a message that the new hardware may not function properly, ignore that). Install from the downloaded file.

If Windows did not put the ATI items in add/remove, install from the downloaded file on top of existing, it may update OK, which you can test after a restart by checking the file versions in device manager. If not, the driver install also installs an ATI software uninstall utility that appears as such in add/remove. Use that it will uninstall the drivers and software. Restart, Again cancel Windows attempt to install drivers and install from the downloaded file. Restart.

Alternatively, follow the instructions given here for manual removal of old software:

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default...uestionID=20870

I tried to do what you suggested but the computer would install the same old drivers and not allow me to stop the install of such drivers - no matter what I did. So I finally went to Microsoft Updates and let it update the driver since it showed one available on their site. Anyway it did update to a driver date 8/2004 but I do not believe that is the most current driver from ATI/AMD. I do not understand why I could not control the installs like you suggested. Now I fear trying to change the driver again for it would not allow me to do it your way. Why did it fight me on a simple driver update install?

Thanks

I tried to do what you suggested but the computer would install the same old drivers and not allow me to stop the install of such drivers - no matter what I did. So I finally went to Microsoft Updates and let it update the driver since it showed one available on their site. Anyway it did update to a driver date 8/2004 but I do not believe that is the most current driver from ATI/AMD. I do not understand why I could not control the installs like you suggested. Now I fear trying to change the driver again for it would not allow me to do it your way. Why did it fight me on a simple driver update install?

Thanks

I discovered the problem for the driver install to be my anti-virus program [McAfee] was stopping my attempts to install the driver from ATI website. Microsoft could work around the anti-virus but you must disable McAfee to install the current driver from ATI. So those of you who must install an driver update please beware of any anti-virus active when you do so.

I failed to disable the anti-virus and the update would not work. ATI instructs you to disable the anti-virus and I did not see those instructions soon enough. Lots of time wasted on my part because I did not read all the instructions more carefully.

Thanks ~ ww4u

#1 - .NET is usually necessary for the ATI driver installation. Whether it's necessary after the installation is best left to ATI but as you'll note from my .sig I have an ATI X600 card plugged into an MSI K9A motherboard which has an ATI/AMD chipset. Believe me, it's impossible to install the drivers without .NET.

#2 - Orignally you posted that you have a Dell system. Have you tried their drivers ? OEM hardware is often modified and the difficulties you're having could be related to the use of non-OEM drivers.

#3 - Have you updated the Direct-X version installed on your system ? Normally I wouldn't expect much of a change but you are running a program that is significantly newer than your system. FYI, I always download and run the full "redist" package which is made for networks with a diverse computer make-up. You can download the "directx_feb2007_redist.exe" at :

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

JD

Many problems with IE 7 reporting errors are due to addons that were OK in IE6 but are not compatible with,or need updating, to fundtion with IE 7. Things like Google or Yahoo toolbar. You can try to see if IE 7 is more stable with addons disabled, if so turn them back on one by one test between each change, until you find the one causing the problem. IE 7 install provides an IE 7 (no addons) icon in system tools; or with no IE 7 windows open, go start, run, type iexplore.exe -extoff press enter, which should open IE 7 without addons.

Thanks

Thanks for posting what your solution. It just might help others who have the same problem.

Never install a hardware driver that Microsoft furnishes, unless there is no other driver available. Now that you found out what McAfee does to your system, get the latest ATI drivers, shut off McAffe, uninstall the ATI drivers you have now, reboot, install the ATI drivers that you downloaded.

All the dotNet installations created a 'net user' - all you need do is go to control panel, user accounts and delete it there.

It's a fallacy btw that dotNet 3 is an 'update' to dotNet 1 or 2 - in fact, for some things I need to have BOTH dotNet 1 AND dotNet 2 installed here. They install separately and operate separately so if you have programs installed that need dotNet 1, 2 or 3, you need to install ALL of them

I don't really know much about net framework but I did notice that when I installed net framework 3 separately, Net framework 1.1, 2 and 3 got installed automatically when I looked in my Add/remove panel. So you wonder why they get installed. As far as deleting it, I had inquired about this issue before in a forum and it was advised to not delete the net user. So I don't know. Although, I did, at that point, delete it because someone before had said you can delete it but I didn't have anything at that time that required net framework. I'm not sure even how it got installed. Whereas, now my ATI driver requires it. I have tried to read up on Net framework but don't seem to understand it much.

dotNet 1.1, 2 and 3 are all different programs - none of them is an update to the other.

As I said, I have both 1.1 and two here because some apps I use need them - some need 1.1, others need 2. I don't have anything that needs 3 so I didn't bother with that.

Removing the net account tho is a different thing - that doesn't remove the framework - just the extra account that makes you have to go through the log-in procedure

Yes, I did have the final version of IE7 and I decided to uninstall IE7 to see if the multiple DEP errors would cease. They did not and after going back to IE6, I received more Data Exception Prevention errors on Explorer Exec. because of the Grabmi Filer Sys installed by Microsoft and eventually received a BLUE SCREEN that said my video driver Ati2dvag.dll was corrupt or wrong and could cause serious damage to my computer.

Wow! I have never received that message before or a blue screen on this computer. I immediately tried to uninstall the ATI drivers and ATI software through "Add and Remove" to avoid another blue screen warning.

When I went to ATI website for the latest driver it said I must first uninstall the driver I have to install the new one. But the computer automatically detects the Video Card and installs a driver on its own. I checked the driver details and it does not show the new driver installed = the Device Manager now shows the driver date as being 9/24/2002. I am not getting any blue screens about this driver but I do not understand why it is not the current one if the system installed it.

This problem with the ATI driver all started when I first tried to install EMC9. At that install EMC9 said I did not have the current driver and should go to ATI website to get the current driver. I did do that and I did uninstall all previous ATI software and drivers before installing the new ATI driver. It seemed to be working and then I started getting the DEP messages from IE and finally the BLUE SCREEN.

Any ideas? At this point - my system seems to be running okay. I have not had a DEP since I ran CCleaner

and let it clean all issues and registries. I backed up all my files onto a remote HDD in case I lose everything due to another BLUE SCREEN.

At this time I am unsure of what caused my computer to go so crazy with DEP's and BLUE SCREEN's. I try to be cautious before upgrading or updating anything that is running smoothly. My experience with EMC9 was not the best. First it would not install because I had the older SONIC programs installed and EMC9 requested that I uninstall them. After doing so I was able to run EMC9 with the updated ATI driver. During that process I also allowed Microsoft to convince me to update to the final IE7 since it became a critical update on their website.

Then I started getting the DEP's. The BLUE SCREEN did not happen until I uninstalled IE7 and went back to IE6. I assume that something happened to my video driver with the uninstall of IE7 and allowing Microsoft to restore my computer to the previous IE6. (not sure about this but MS warned me that the installs after IE7 was installed may get harmed if they needed IE7 to operate).

All is complicated in UPDATES sometimes.

Thanks ~ ww4u

Dell

Dimension 8250

Processor Speed 2.33 GHz

Memory (RAM) 1024 MB

Thanks

Not to be a smart but why don't you simply uinstall IE7 ? It offers noting that you can't get with Firefox.

Archived