• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Output format bitrates

Lavabomb

Question

Bottom line: Can the output bitrates be editted in disc copier?

I have tried many other free/open source (meGUI, Videora) products to convert various files to MPEG 4 for my iPod, but they all seem to have audio syncing problems for larger files (home movies). They have given options for both resolution AND bitrate for MPEG 4 encoding. I was curious as to what the default bitrate for MPEG 4 is (for both 320x240 on iPod settings and 640x480 on H.264/AVC settings). Also is there anyway to change this from the default?

Thanks in advance for your help

4 answers to this question

EDITTED for clearity:

These are my goal specs straight from apple.com, if possible I would like to encode at the 640x480 resolution:

H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Low-Complexity Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats;

H.264 video, up to 768 Kbps, 320 by 240 pixels, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats;

MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

I found that the Media Manager in Roxio's suite will display the bitrates:

n63200076_30834162_5231.jpg

That was the default "H.264/AVC" in Disc Copy. I also tried your video wave suggestion, the "AVC good" quality gives a 1080 kbps rate, and (just for kicks) the PSP 30 FPS, HQ gives a 856 kbps. None of these files were compatable with the iPod. I could also be naive in thinking that bitrates and codecs are the only factors making these files incompatable. The same video rendered with the iPod setting has a 768 kbps bitrate and does work on my iPod (I think this is possibly the middle spec listed above).

At this point I would be happy to simply get 640x480 with a 768 kbps if it worked on my iPod

If this is impossible with the current software, is there any "feature request" forum I could post a suggestion in?

From what it sounds like, I won't be able to get the level of control I want. My main goal is to have a 640x480 MPEG4 in an iPod compatable format (.mp4 or m4v I believe) that also has decent quality for computer playback. It looks like I can only change the bitrate in VideoWave if I output to AVI or the 3GPP format that you suggested. To my knowledge, neither of these are compatable with the iPod. I don't really want to waste time re-encoding a video in 2 resolutions (1 for PC, 1 for iPod) or even daisy chaining converters (like the iTunes "convert to iPod" option) to get the desired result.

I think I'm going to have to settle for whatever the default is for Disc Copy because I want the 640x480, I would just prefer it in a smaller file size.

Not sure what the default bitrates are in Disc Copier, but here is what is listed for 'output to file' in Videowave 9. You also can create a custom output. Unfortunately, I only saw the Microsoft MPEG 4 codec listed under AVI, but the user had totaly control over bitrate and resolution.

post-49-1165559203.jpg

Archived