andreyk

Burned DVD isn't recognized by WinXP until PC rebooted

Question

I'm having the following problem:

1. After PC was rebooted I can view/read any CDs/DVDs in my DVD drive. Win XP recognizes everything just fine.

2. After using EMC9 "Data Disk" to burn DVD-R (project completing successfully) in that drive, Win XP couldn't recognize anything in this drive anymore, until PC is rebooted. I can burn another EMC9 "Data Disk" DVDs though.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

andreyk

7 answers to this question

I'm having the following problem:

1. After PC was rebooted I can view/read any CDs/DVDs in my DVD drive. Win XP recognizes everything just fine.

2. After using EMC9 "Data Disk" to burn DVD-R (project completing successfully) in that drive, Win XP couldn't recognize anything in this drive anymore, until PC is rebooted. I can burn another EMC9 "Data Disk" DVDs though.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

andreyk

Do you have updated drivers? Any other software on your system that may be trying to access control of this drive?

Do you have updated drivers? Any other software on your system that may be trying to access control of this drive?

All drivers and firmware are updated. I also disabled DVDLauncher that came with CyberLink's PowerDVD and "CD Detector" from Creative. It didn't help.

Just keep in mind, all problems are starting right after burning with EMC 9

andreyk

The symptoms indicate that the drive is not refreshing. Firmware update for the drive has always fixed this type of problem in the past. – I did read that you said you have updated the firmware but it would be prudent to check again. The Disc and Device utility will report your current firmware version. Make sure it is the most up to date one for your drive.

Sometimes throwing another CD or DVD into the drive then the one you wrote will be a bandaid fix until the firmware update…

The Disc and Device utility will report your current firmware version. Make sure it is the most up to date one for your drive.

James, could this be something that isn't included in the 9 trial version?

I see no Disc and Device utility listed under utilities, applications, or tools! Under tools I see disc information that will show the drive and the drives firmware.

cdanteek

A bit of a long shot here but try opening the case, remove the ribbon cable from the drive and reconnect it again

I had a similar problem years back on a floppy drive (when you inserted a new disk it listed the contents of the last one). The culprit in the end was some 'tarnish' on the connector block and simply reseating the ribbon cleaned it and everything worked fine.

James, could this be something that isn't included in the 9 trial version?

I see no Disc and Device utility listed under utilities, applications, or tools! Under tools I see disc information that will show the drive and the drives firmware.

cdanteek

The OP does not have the Trial Version…

I have no idea what has been left out of the Trial but if it isn't there, then it was left out as it have been present since V7.5 and is called "Disc and Device Utility"

I have the same problem from time to time. It is random.

I know it is a pain but it is good practice to reboot after a burn as it is to boot prior to burning a disk.

There are several disk copying and authoring utilities that have the option of shutting down / rebooting after a successful disk write. Some take ownership (sort of) of the drive for burning. Probably a better description is "locking" the drive.

Have you turned off "autoplay" and disabled "drag to disk"? That might help but I am guessing.