WMV files and myDVD 8

Bunbury

Question

Apologies if this is already mentioned and I haven't read it. I just installed myDVD 8 and want to compile a DVD with a wmv file I created in MS Photo Story and one I created in Movie Maker. The problem seems to be that myDVD or CinMagic, for that matter, (I guess it's shared,) cannot read any of my wmv files. There seems to be no problem with my mpeg files. I tried to convert the wmv using DIVX Converter but I got an error. Perhaps there is a common reason here. Excuse my ignorance here but is this a codec issue? I've got WMP11 do I'm assuming the codecs are there. My experience if this is limited, so apologies.

thanks in advance

Richard

7 answers to this question

Yes, MyDVD does except WMV files. I've updated one system to WMP11 and Movie Maker works fine. Maybe you can give Videowave a shot and see if you can export to an avi successfully. Import your wmv file and go to File/Output Production to and select avi.

Whenever I use any of these myDVD applications (I just looked at Videowave) and try to 'Add Video/Photo' and the common dilog apears that allows one to look at the My Media, My Albums or Folders, each WMV file has a red circle with the red line through it indicating its inability to read it. In fact, it doesn't even list them under My Media as it clearly doesn't understand the format.

Whenever I use any of these myDVD applications (I just looked at Videowave) and try to 'Add Video/Photo' and the common dilog apears that allows one to look at the My Media, My Albums or Folders, each WMV file has a red circle with the red line through it indicating its inability to read it. In fact, it doesn't even list them under My Media as it clearly doesn't understand the format.

Another interesting test. I've just created a new VideoWave Production and have loaded an example mpeg into it. If I then try to Output As... any of the WMV options (there are about five) I get "Error. Unable to Build the Render Graph". All other formats seem fine.

Another interesting test. I've just created a new VideoWave Production and have loaded an example mpeg into it. If I then try to Output As... any of the WMV options (there are about five) I get "Error. Unable to Build the Render Graph". All other formats seem fine.

OK! Cracked it. I just downloaded the installation .exe for WMP11 (I'd previously upgraded to WMP11 via the automatic update). I ran the installation again from the .exe file and this time everything works. Movie Maker works and Media Manager now reads WMV files. I think it maybe to do with the Windows Media Pack install bit. Just guessing, though.

OK! Cracked it. I just downloaded the installation .exe for WMP11 (I'd previously upgraded to WMP11 via the automatic update). I ran the installation again from the .exe file and this time everything works. Movie Maker works and Media Manager now reads WMV files. I think it maybe to do with the Windows Media Pack install bit. Just guessing, though.

It sounds like you've found the culprit. Maybe it has something to do with MS's wonderful DRM scheme. Glad you figured it out.

Apologies if this is already mentioned and I haven't read it. I just installed myDVD 8 and want to compile a DVD with a wmv file I created in MS Photo Story and one I created in Movie Maker. The problem seems to be that myDVD or CinMagic, for that matter, (I guess it's shared,) cannot read any of my wmv files. There seems to be no problem with my mpeg files. I tried to convert the wmv using DIVX Converter but I got an error. Perhaps there is a common reason here. Excuse my ignorance here but is this a codec issue? I've got WMP11 do I'm assuming the codecs are there. My experience if this is limited, so apologies.

thanks in advance

Richard

Try using Movie Maker and export to an avi file and see if that works.

Try using Movie Maker and export to an avi file and see if that works.

I can try that. Does myDVD 8 not read wmv files, or am I missing something?

Just been trying to re-export my move but having updated to WMP11, it now seems to be crashing every time I use Movie Maker. This goes from bad to worse.

I can try that. Does myDVD 8 not read wmv files, or am I missing something?

Just been trying to re-export my move but having updated to WMP11, it now seems to be crashing every time I use Movie Maker. This goes from bad to worse.

Yes, MyDVD does except WMV files. I've updated one system to WMP11 and Movie Maker works fine. Maybe you can give Videowave a shot and see if you can export to an avi successfully. Import your wmv file and go to File/Output Production to and select avi.

Archived