• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Drag to Disc - Blue Screen

dQuixot

Question

Drag to Disc in version 9

There seems to be two problems with this program

1) At random times I get the BSOD while copying files to CD or DVD this only occurs while using Drag to Disc, It would seem to be a driver conflict. I have no other burning program installed and never have had prior to Roxio 9. I uninstalled all Roxio 9 except Drag to Disc and the problem remained. (Report sent to Microsoft)

2) The folder date is copied as per Microsoft and is as per the date/time of the copy however it is not possible to alter this date to the original date after making the copy (I have tried many programs to do this and all fail) this was possible with earlier versions of Drag to Disc.

I note others with a similar problem to item 1) on this site and other discussion groups.

The above is for anyone who may be interested and to let them know they are not alone, I am sure Roxio are aware of the problem and hopefully will supply a patch in the not too distant future.

Yes, I did remove all Sonic programs as supplied by Dell before installing Roxio.

Yes, all firmware etc is the latest.

Dell XPS 700

Windows XP Home SP2

Pentium D Processor 930 Dual Core 3.00GHz

nVidia GeForce Dual 512MB 7900 GTX

Memory 2GB DDR2 SDRAM

10 answers to this question

Reference the BSOD with D2D9 I am experiencing the same problem. I have installed and deinstalled EMC9 twice. It is always using D2D that causes a crash and reboot but not on every occasion it is used. The remainder of the suite does not appear to cause any BSOD although I have experienced the DVD locking up and locking up the computer so the only way out is to hit the restart button. I notice an earlier comment that this BSOD happens with Pentiums but not AMD's but I am using an AMD at 2gHz. I thought to start with it was the amount of data being dragged and dropped but have since disproved that theory.

For information following a previous question I am running McAfee AV and firewall with pob-up blocker enabled.

There was a problem with the Corporate Edition of Norton but I believe it was confined to the 2005 edition and was fixed in one of their updates.

The PC I run V9 on has never had any AV program installed on it. Still, that is not definitive since I have only seen a BSOD once.

I rarely use D2D anymore so I am just going to have to knuckle down and set up a testing schedule and stick to it!

Finally I'm back to this thread...

I have (actually, had) Norton AntiVirus installed on both computers on which I had a Blue Screen while working with D2D. Auto-Protect was enabled too. It looks like uninstalling NAV or even simply disabling Auto-Protect greatly reduces chances of getting a Blue Screen. Even copying large amout of data at once to a newly formatted disc went flawlessly on a computer on which I uninstalled NAV completely. But I cannot tell you for sure that this fixes all problems completely. First, I don't think I have been working with it enough to call this new experience statistically correct. Second, I did have a blue screen once during the eject even with Auto-Protect disabled. But definitely D2D works much better without an AntiVirus.

I just thought the problem is caused only by Norton, but since systems with McAfee and ZoneAlarm also experience a Blue Screen, this does not seem to be the case.

I don't use D2D much but have not experienced any BSOD with it to date… But I will see what I can find out.

I do not understand how you can change a Folder/File date? This has never been an option of D2D. It is in Classic but not D2D.

The date is a function of the copy process of the Operating System. It does not matter if you are copying to a D2D disc or to other magnetic media, Windows retains the file date when copied but Folders are always changed to the current date.

But this is a function of Windows, not D2D.

Edit: I did get a BSOD on eject and copying several files and folders to duplicate your date results… As I said, I'll see what I can find out.

I don't use D2D much but have not experienced any BSOD with it to date… But I will see what I can find out.

I do not understand how you can change a Folder/File date? This has never been an option of D2D. It is in Classic but not D2D.

The date is a function of the copy process of the Operating System. It does not matter if you are copying to a D2D disc or to other magnetic media, Windows retains the file date when copied but Folders are always changed to the current date.

But this is a function of Windows, not D2D.

Edit: I did get a BSOD on eject and copying several files and folders to duplicate your date results… As I said, I'll see what I can find out.

Re dates on folders:

If I copy a file from hard drive to DVD then the date stamped is that of the copy date & time.

However if you use Total Commander there is an option to keep the original folder date and time.

The TC option works perfectly when using DLA, InCD & older versions of D2D but not with the latest version of D2D.

Howard Kaikow wrote a program for just such purposes which see at http://www.standards.com/ his program also works perfectly with all packet programs except the latest D2D.

Try it yourself James and you will see what I mean.

The reason I want the folder times to be as the original is for synchronization purposes used in programs which I write and use for my work.

The BSOD is a very unfortunate and will be extremely difficult to pin point, I am a programmer by profession and so far can only guess at the driver error and live with it. One interesting thing is that D2D works perfectly without BSOD on AMD machines but always crashes on Pentium ones.

I am not looking for an answer on this forum as I expect it will just be fixed on the next update but thanks anyway James.

Hi some1,

Do you have any antivirus installed on your computer? Which one? Do you have 'Real-Time Scan' enabled? If yes, try to disable it temporarily and repeat what you did what caused a blue screen. Try to copy large amount of data to disc at once.

Same question to James, who says he haven't seen a blue screen while working with D2D 9 so far.

The reason I'm asking this is because after my latest experiments antivirus became the primary suspect for D2D 9 blue screen. I will tell you which one after you both answer my question.

As to dates, I only copy files to D2D formatted discs from Windows Explorer. I'm happy that file dates are all preserved. As to folder dates, my understanding is that it is default Microsoft's behavior to create folders with current dates, so I don't worry about it that much.

Dates: As I suspected you are working with a 3rd party program… I don't pretend to know if the update would be the responsibility of program developer or Roxio. If Roxio is still in compliance with Packet Writing Standards, then it would not be up to them to make the program conform to anything beyond Windows requirements.

I do understand what you are saying and will make sure that question is asked, but I have no special powers, I am a user just like you.

We did have some interesting dialogue with Howard Kaikow, here, about D2D. The BSOD issue was mentioned but as far as I know, John's (Moderator) offer was never acted on.

Hi some1,

Do you have any antivirus installed on your computer? Which one? Do you have 'Real-Time Scan' enabled? If yes, try to disable it temporarily and repeat what you did what caused a blue screen. Try to copy large amount of data to disc at once.

Same question to James, who says he haven't seen a blue screen while working with D2D 9 so far.

The reason I'm asking this is because after my latest experiments antivirus became the primary suspect for D2D 9 blue screen. I will tell you which one after you both answer my question.

As to dates, I only copy files to D2D formatted discs from Windows Explorer. I'm happy that file dates are all preserved. As to folder dates, my understanding is that it is default Microsoft's behavior to create folders with current dates, so I don't worry about it that much.

I am using ZoneAlarm Security Suite 6.5.737

If you read the reply from James you will see that he did have a blue screen, see his edited post.

Will try as you suggest but the BSOD happens at very random intervals.

Yah, I think you 2 put a Hex on me and I have an appointment with a local Witch Doctor this afternoon!

The PC that had the BSOD on eject doesn't even have AV software installed nor firewalls popup blockers or all that stuff that is suppose to make you 'safe'. It just sits there running 24/7 going on 3 years now…

But my BSOD could have been a fluke rather than a symptom. I had been running several simulations to reproduce other user problems here and don't recall the last time it was rebooted.

Archived