• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Very Poor Dvd Quality...ggrrrrrrrr

ckopkau@tampabay.rr.com

Question

5 answers to this question

I spent forever working on a Christmas DVD movie for my kids and I finally go to burn it and play it in the dvd recorder and the quality SUCKS!!!! wHY????

Unfortunately... it seems poor quality is a feature of the Roxio burner...

Roxio drops quality to poor VHS standard when taken from AVI files....

I've been asking about this on the forums for a while and haven't received anything to let me know that it is anything to do with the nature of the input file.

Roxio themselves won't help you, so it's peer to peer support from the community who have all paid £59.99 to buy the software.

I've done burns with Intervideo WinDVD creator and they produce better quality burns but you are stuck with their menu screens.

Quality is very subjective. First of all, we can only get ONE HOUR of the highest quality. That goes for ANY DVD authoring application. Not just EMC8. I have done an exhaustive test using the following programs:

Videowave/MyDVD 8

Videowave/MyDVDBuilder 7

Ulead VideoStudio 8

Adobe Premiere Elements 2

Sony Vegas Studio 6

I used the exact same DV AVI file in each program. I viewed the final DVD on the same TV and DVD player. The Judge - my 80 year old mother.

Render time was fairly close and within 20min. from the slowest to the fastest. On my desktop listed below, the average time was 3hours for a one hour video. As for quality, only Adobe seemed to 'be better'. EMC8, Ulead and Sony were second with EMC7 being the poorest.

Again, this is very subjective and I'm starting to think could be related to codecs installed because I've seen others post that EMC7 results ON THEIR MACHINE were much better than V8. Not true on mine.

PS - If you are using DivX AVI, yes quality can suffer. You're taking a HIGHLY compressed file - uncompressing it and then REcompressing to MPEG2. How much quality you lose would depend on the length of the video. anything more than an hour will definitely lose more quality.

I spent forever working on a Christmas DVD movie for my kids and I finally go to burn it and play it in the dvd recorder and the quality SUCKS!!!! wHY????

You have not given any information on how you created the video. Without that nobody can offer any suggestions. Where did the video come from? What format is it? What settings did you use to capture, encode and burn?

Archived