• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Extracting Audio from a video clip

fhendo

Question

Thought this would be easy. I am trying to extract the audio from one of my video clips(not right protected). According to the directions I need to select the clip in the Media Selector, right click it and click on "extract audio" from the drop down menu. Then I am supposed to get a "Save File" dialogue which asks about where I want to save the new wav audio file. Sounds easy accept that when the save file dialogue box opens I get the following message:

" There are no media files in this folder that match the filter settings. To change filter settings click the Filter for Media Types button. "

I have no idea what the "Filter for Media Types" button is. This happens with any and every video clip on my computer. What am I missing?

18 answers to this question

I could try that, and I guess I will if all else fails, but I don't have any indication that repair is in order--everything seems to be working fine except this--and I am not yet convinced that I am not just missing something.

In VideoWave, I click on View, then click on Media Selector. I browse to one of my .mpeg files, right click on it, and the Extract Audio is there.

What type of video file is the one that is not working?

In VideoWave, I click on View, then click on Media Selector. I browse to one of my .mpeg files, right click on it, and the Extract Audio is there.

What type of video file is the one that is not working?

Any video file-avi, mpg. I get the same result. Again I right click on the file, select extract audio and get a message that there are no files of this type as I stated above. Rereading the instuctions in the programs help section, i the browsed to where I wanted to save my audio file, named it and clicked save. I then get a message that "audio could not be extracted from this file." The same thing happens with any video file I try to extract the audio from.

Any video file-avi, mpg. I get the same result. Again I right click on the file, select extract audio and get a message that there are no files of this type as I stated above. Rereading the instuctions in the programs help section, i the browsed to where I wanted to save my audio file, named it and clicked save. I then get a message that "audio could not be extracted from this file." The same thing happens with any video file I try to extract the audio from.

Media Manager is not a hog if 1) you chose not to watch your folders at startup. 2) Limit which folders you want to watch 3) Let Media Manager catalog all your files (or your selected ones). It may take some time if you have tons of audio and video files. I have mine activated to watch only the audio and video folders so I never notice it.

I don't think that not installing Media Manager is the cause of your problems though. What is the source of the videos? They are not covered by DRM protection are they?

Okay, this is lame, but this is how the software shows it. Pay no attention to that "No supported media files....

Below that message you will see the save box. Name that file, whatever you want to name it. The default name will be whatever the name of the video file is.

Now, to the left of the "No supported media...." you will see all of the drives and folders on your hard computer. Browse to the folder where you want that .wav file saved, and double click on it. When that folder is selected, click on Save, in the lower right hand corner of your screen, click on Save. It will extract your audio. Honest. :)

Let me know if it works for you.

Media Manager is not a hog if 1) you chose not to watch your folders at startup. 2) Limit which folders you want to watch 3) Let Media Manager catalog all your files (or your selected ones). It may take some time if you have tons of audio and video files. I have mine activated to watch only the audio and video folders so I never notice it.

I don't think that not installing Media Manager is the cause of your problems though. What is the source of the videos? They are not covered by DRM protection are they?

They are my own VHS or DV videos, and I am trying to extract native audio--nothing that is protected.

Okay, this is lame, but this is how the software shows it. Pay no attention to that "No supported media files....

Below that message you will see the save box. Name that file, whatever you want to name it. The default name will be whatever the name of the video file is.

Now, to the left of the "No supported media...." you will see all of the drives and folders on your hard computer. Browse to the folder where you want that .wav file saved, and double click on it. When that folder is selected, click on Save, in the lower right hand corner of your screen, click on Save. It will extract your audio. Honest. :)

Let me know if it works for you.

I think that is what I did (as I stated above). I disregarded the message browsed to where I wanted to save--BUT MAYBE I did not rename the file--Let me try that and I'll get back. I really appreciate all of you trying to help.

They are my own VHS or DV videos, and I am trying to extract native audio--nothing that is protected.

I think that is what I did (as I stated above). I disregarded the message browsed to where I wanted to save--BUT MAYBE I did not rename the file--Let me try that and I'll get back. I really appreciate all of you trying to help.

I tried it--right clicked my file, clicked "extract audio,' browsed to where I wanted to save, renamed the file, and clicked "save." I then got a box that said "The audio could not be extracted." This happened with every file I tried.

I tried it--right clicked my file, clicked "extract audio,' browsed to where I wanted to save, renamed the file, and clicked "save." I then got a box that said "The audio could not be extracted." This happened with every file I tried.

Are you trying to extract the audio from a video file you have on a DVD or on a hard drive?

Thought this would be easy. I am trying to extract the audio from one of my video clips(not right protected). According to the directions I need to select the clip in the Media Selector, right click it and click on "extract audio" from the drop down menu. Then I am supposed to get a "Save File" dialogue which asks about where I want to save the new wav audio file. Sounds easy accept that when the save file dialogue box opens I get the following message:

" There are no media files in this folder that match the filter settings. To change filter settings click the Filter for Media Types button. "

I have no idea what the "Filter for Media Types" button is. This happens with any and every video clip on my computer. What am I missing?

Which Media Selector are you using? What kind of video files (format)? It usually means that the box below where the file name would be is set to something other than what you are looking for.

Open Media Manager, select folders and navigate to the file. Select and right click on it. You will get the drop down menu.

Which Media Selector are you using? What kind of video files (format)? It usually means that the box below where the file name would be is set to something other than what you are looking for.

Open Media Manager, select folders and navigate to the file. Select and right click on it. You will get the drop down menu.

Thanks for replying--not sure what you mean when you ask "which media selector" I am using. I've tried several differnt approaches. First I have simply clicked on "add photo or video" in Videowave, located the file, right clicked, and then clicked on "Extract audio." At that point I get the message that there are no files of this type. The same thing happens if I open Media Selector and locate my file that way. I have no problem finding my file, nor do I have any trouble getting the drop down menu that gives me the option to extract the audio--the problem occurs once I click on that option, As far as Media Manager, which you refer to, I believe that I did not install that feature because I read somewhere on these forums that it hogged a lot of space and slowed things down. Don't see why I should need it to extract the audio from an existing video clip. This seems like it should be a no brainer--but I am stumped.

Thanks for replying--not sure what you mean when you ask "which media selector" I am using. I've tried several differnt approaches. First I have simply clicked on "add photo or video" in Videowave, located the file, right clicked, and then clicked on "Extract audio." At that point I get the message that there are no files of this type. The same thing happens if I open Media Selector and locate my file that way. I have no problem finding my file, nor do I have any trouble getting the drop down menu that gives me the option to extract the audio--the problem occurs once I click on that option, As far as Media Manager, which you refer to, I believe that I did not install that feature because I read somewhere on these forums that it hogged a lot of space and slowed things down. Don't see why I should need it to extract the audio from an existing video clip. This seems like it should be a no brainer--but I am stumped.

Maybe try a Repair of the software.

What TYPE of AVI? AVI is just a 'container' for many types of compressed video. DivX, DV AVI, Xvid, etc., all use the AVI extension. I've never had any problem extracting audio from DV AVI files captured from a digital camcorder.

I am trying to specifically extract audio from a VHS clip loaded to my VAIO computer via Sony's Giga Pocket analog conversion feature. I've saved them as .avi files as I find that that avoids sound synch problems when working in Videowave. However, since I had the problem with this spedific file, I tried to extract audio from others including several DV AVI files. I get the same results regardless of the file type.

right clicked my file, clicked "extract audio,' browsed to where I wanted to save, renamed the file, and clicked "save." I then got a box that said "The audio could not be extracted." This happened with every file I tried.
This almost sounds like a codec issue. Does the file(s) playback fine in Windows Media Player?

Maybe try a Repair of the software.

I could try that, and I guess I will if all else fails, but I don't have any indication that repair is in order--everything seems to be working fine except this--and I am not yet convinced that I am not just missing something.

Archived