Recorded Tv To Dvd

droglite

Question

16 answers to this question

Hi Larry,

Tried a burn via an ISO burn as you suggested to HD. Final ISO file was over 5 GB.

When I tried Disc Copier it would not continue as I got message telling me not enough space on disc and to insert 5.0 GB disc.

Should I be setting the compression somewhere?

Reggie D.

If I'm understanding what you've done so far, you did actually burn it to a disc, correct? If so, why not try it on a regular player to see if it plays sound.

If it's too big, rather than useing the fit to disc option, uncheck it. Now you can change the video & audio settings. I suggest 720x480 8.00 video bitrate; AC3 448 audio bitrate. Then when you burn it, burn it to an image file (filename.ISO) not directly to disc. Remember the name and location of it. When that's done, open up Disc Copier and select the filename.ISO file as the source and burn it. Disc Copier will compress it to fit the disc. This method seems to have better results than using the fit to disc option.

Larry,

Thx. I had a succesful burn with audio and it played on my TV DVD player!

I'll now try yr other recommendations so I can record prog. over 2 hrs.

Reggie.D.

Did the process complete. I beleive you have the option of previewing the encoding process or not previewing the encoding process

Jeff,

The process seemed to completye but I could not preview the encoding process. I'll try again and look for the option; nevertheless, if did not preview surely this should not affect the recording?

Thx yr response

Reggie D.

Yup, I've tried help but being a beginner I'm still struggling. Reading all these postings about EMC8 being buggy scares me but better to blame myself at this stage.

What I am trying to do is burn a DVD from a movie clip saved as MPEG2 on my HD Everything seems to happen correctly ( encoding etc,) but on completion the disk as nothing recorded to it! One clue ; there is no view in the encoding window; it is just blacked out.

Reggie D.

You are using MyDVD to burn that clip to a disc, is that correct?

What options did you choose on the burn window?

Did your DVD burner drive respond as if it was doing something?

When you say the encoding window is just blacked out, do you mean that it is all black, or is it gray with the word mpeg showing?

Also, if you could list your system specs (info like you see under my signature), that may be helpful.

You are using MyDVD to burn that clip to a disc, is that correct?

What options did you choose on the burn window?

Did your DVD burner drive respond as if it was doing something?

When you say the encoding window is just blacked out, do you mean that it is all black, or is it gray with the word mpeg showing?

Also, if you could list your system specs (info like you see under my signature), that may be helpful.

You are not going to believe this but I ran thro' again and it almsot worked ( no sound this time)

Used DVD Express, chose DVD without menus, Add new movie, selcted MPEG2 recording.

The program proceeded as before & the encloding window was still black ( jet black!) Went off for dinner and when I returned the movie was pyaying from the DVD but without sound.

Looks like I'm almost there but cannot undertand why it did not work on 3 previous occasions using same procedure.

Reggie D.

Intel P4 550 (3.4Ghz)/ 1 Gb DDR-2/ ATI Firewire GL3100 128 MB PCI-E,/Sony DVD RW DW-Q28A/ Sony DVD ROM DDU1615/ Mother Board Intel D925XECV2AAC836-205/ 250GB SATA 7200RPM HD/ 120GB SATA 7200RPM HD/ Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS/AveerTV Hybrid +FM PCI

Windows XP Pro SP2, Norton Ghost 9, Norton AV 2006, Roxio EMC8. AOL 9, Netgear Wireless.

You are not going to believe this but I ran thro' again and it almsot worked ( no sound this time)

Used DVD Express, chose DVD without menus, Add new movie, selcted MPEG2 recording.

The program proceeded as before & the encloding window was still black ( jet black!) Went off for dinner and when I returned the movie was pyaying from the DVD but without sound.

Looks like I'm almost there but cannot undertand why it did not work on 3 previous occasions using same procedure.

Reggie D.

Intel P4 550 (3.4Ghz)/ 1 Gb DDR-2/ ATI Firewire GL3100 128 MB PCI-E,/Sony DVD RW DW-Q28A/ Sony DVD ROM DDU1615/ Mother Board Intel D925XECV2AAC836-205/ 250GB SATA 7200RPM HD/ 120GB SATA 7200RPM HD/ Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS/AveerTV Hybrid +FM PCI

Windows XP Pro SP2, Norton Ghost 9, Norton AV 2006, Roxio EMC8. AOL 9, Netgear Wireless.

Reggie D.

I'd believe most anything when it comes to computers :)

Did you try playing it in a set top player yet?

I'd believe most anything when it comes to computers :)

Did you try playing it in a set top player yet?

Not yet; though I'd wait until I get sound. Think I've discovered why; Prog. was just over 2 hrs and would not fit on DVD so had to select fit to DVD option. This stopped me selecting sound option as buttons grayed out.

I must now learn how to edit the TV prog. I recorded down to a size that will fit.

Is it poss. to buy DVD bigger than 4.7?

Reggie D.

Not yet; though I'd wait until I get sound. Think I've discovered why; Prog. was just over 2 hrs and would not fit on DVD so had to select fit to DVD option. This stopped me selecting sound option as buttons grayed out.

I must now learn how to edit the TV prog. I recorded down to a size that will fit.

Reggie D.

There is an 8.5gb Double Layer DVD, however you must have a Double Layer burner or they will be destroyed if you attempt to use them in a 4.7gb burner!

Reggie D.

If I'm understanding what you've done so far, you did actually burn it to a disc, correct? If so, why not try it on a regular player to see if it plays sound.

If it's too big, rather than useing the fit to disc option, uncheck it. Now you can change the video & audio settings. I suggest 720x480 8.00 video bitrate; AC3 448 audio bitrate. Then when you burn it, burn it to an image file (filename.ISO) not directly to disc. Remember the name and location of it. When that's done, open up Disc Copier and select the filename.ISO file as the source and burn it. Disc Copier will compress it to fit the disc. This method seems to have better results than using the fit to disc option.

I do hope I'm going to get a more helpful reply from someone!!

Based on your original post, it sounded like you were asking where to get a hardcopy of some program info for "idiots". The most common form of that is a series of books called " program name for Dummies", which inludes a 'EMC 8 for Dummies" (or something to that effect). So james posted a suggestion on where you could find it.

If you're looking for something else, have you tried the Help menu in MyDVD?

Based on your original post, it sounded like you were asking where to get a hardcopy of some program info for "idiots". The most common form of that is a series of books called " program name for Dummies", which inludes a 'EMC 8 for Dummies" (or something to that effect). So james posted a suggestion on where you could find it.

If you're looking for something else, have you tried the Help menu in MyDVD?

Yup, I've tried help but being a beginner I'm still struggling. Reading all these postings about EMC8 being buggy scares me but better to blame myself at this stage.

What I am trying to do is burn a DVD from a movie clip saved as MPEG2 on my HD Everything seems to happen correctly ( encoding etc,) but on completion the disk as nothing recorded to it! One clue ; there is no view in the encoding window; it is just blacked out.

Reggie D.

Archived