• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

System Requirements in terms of an ATHLON cpu

JohnnyPalmer

Question

Hi guys. Can't find this info anywhere else so here goes.

I have EMC9 winging its way to me at Amazon's latest bargain price and I HOPE my PC has the legs to run it OK. (I'm a long standing Roxio user - currently v6)

I have an Athlon 1.1GHz with 1Gb RAM and all other system requirements look OK - but which Pentium 4 is this "equivalent" to? When I set up this PC, Athlon Thunderbirds were outperforming Pentium 4s so - do I have the ocp power to run this product OK? :)

(I also have an eBay 1.4GHz Thunderbird on its way to me - but that's a separate exercise for Christmas!)

Thanks

John

2 answers to this question

Hi guys. Can't find this info anywhere else so here goes.

I have EMC9 winging its way to me at Amazon's latest bargain price and I HOPE my PC has the legs to run it OK. (I'm a long standing Roxio user - currently v6)

I have an Athlon 1.1GHz with 1Gb RAM and all other system requirements look OK - but which Pentium 4 is this "equivalent" to? When I set up this PC, Athlon Thunderbirds were outperforming Pentium 4s so - do I have the ocp power to run this product OK? :)

(I also have an eBay 1.4GHz Thunderbird on its way to me - but that's a separate exercise for Christmas!)

Thanks

John

That 1.1 Athlon should give you most of what you want to do but it will be very slow. The 1.4 will be better but still no speed merchant. It depends on what you plan to do with the program. You may have some problems with dropped frames when you are doing video capture. The only way of knowing is trying.

As important as the CPU, is the video card/chip. If that is not up to date, you will have more problems. While you are waiting, you might want to update the drivers for your video device and also make sure that the latest version of DirectX 9c is installed. You didn't say anything about your video card/chip. If it is older, you may need to upgrade it to get all of the 3D effects. The program relies heavily on the video card/chip for rendering.

Before you open the V9 package, you might want to try the trial download to see how it works on your computer after you have done all the updates. You might end up having to upgrade your video set up. You should get a good idea of performance with the trial. The trial is most but not all of V9. Look further down on the boards to the trial section and you will find the download for the trial there. I'm sure that you will need to remove all of it before you install the boxed version.

Thanks for the reply sknis. I note you don't commit to what would be the Athlon equivalent to a Pentium 4 1.4 or 1.6 :)

I'm up to date with Direct-X 9.0c and have an XFX GeForce 6800XT video card. This is about as good as I can get for this (AGP) mobo.

My interest in updating from v6 is to do with the mother-in-law :huh: She's given away her PC and, as I no longer have a laptop, I'm having to put my holiday photos onto DVD. Having fitted the DVD burner, I'd get more out of it by having later software that recognises DL discs etc.

So, I'll be producing still photo slide shows as DVI-AVI DVDs. Dropped frames may therefore not (?) be a problem. I know from experiments so far that it may be a slow process - WMM certainly tooks ages to encode around 120 pictures with transitions.

I'm a keen still photographer but I'm not into real video yet. It's been disappointing finding that I can't reproduce the quality of my photos on TV though.

As to your final suggestion, I didn't realise there was a trial version of v9. That sounds like a good idea. I guess I'll need to expunge all of v6 first?

Archived