• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 21 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

DVD plays on computer and one player, but not other

kirkifer

Question

Hello,

I am somewhat new to DVD burning. This is probably easy to figure out.

When I burn my MPEG-2 project to DVD through MyDVD, it will play back fine by opening the proper file via Windows Media Player and on a Magnavox MWD 7006 DVD Player. It does take between 30 seconds and one minute for the Magnavox to find the disc, but it does boot and it does play...

My Sony DVP-NS45P (the other DVD Player) spins the disc and after a couple of minutes decides it just can not play the disc and gives me an error message. :)

The DVD-R contains is encoded with MPEG-2 and NTSC format.... These should be fairly common and should play in virtually every player....

So, what is the difference? Is there a setting in MyDVD or some other ROXIO utility that is not correctly set? Any help is appreciated.

14 answers to this question

Hello,

When I burn my MPEG-2 project to DVD through MyDVD, it will play back fine by opening the proper file via Windows Media Player and on a Magnavox MWD 7006 DVD Player. It does take between 30 seconds and one minute for the Magnavox to find the disc, but it does boot and it does play...

My Sony DVP-NS45P (the other DVD Player) spins the disc and after a couple of minutes decides it just can not play the disc and gives me an error message. :)

The DVD-R contains is encoded with MPEG-2 and NTSC format.... These should be fairly common and should play in virtually every player....

So, what is the difference? Is there a setting in MyDVD or some other ROXIO utility that is not correctly set? Any help is appreciated.

And the error message is Dirty Disc or what? Change brand and/or type of media, and try it again.

I have a similiar issue, I have been using the CD Creator Suite 6 with no problems making DVD's. Now I have upgraded to version 9 and the DVD's I am creating will play only on a pc, not any of my home DVD players. I get Disc Read errors... Same computer, same spindle of DVD's, and the same dvd players as before. The only difference is the software. That tells me there is something else going on here... Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Vince

I concur - I have a SONY DVD/HD Player. I used Sony+R to make a disk using Pinacle - works fine in the DVD player, when I use MyDVD using the same disks, they do not play. Interestingly, if I burn an iso I created with the previous version of Roxio and the same Sony+R disk it plays in my Sonly Player fine. I just cant get it to read anything I cerate in Roxio 9. I have tried buring to ISO first and have tried using other disks, nothing works. It does seem to be a problem with the Roxio software.

One thing not at all clear here is if you are making a DVD Movie or just burning files onto a DVD in a Data project???

It must be a DVD Movie project from either VideoWave or MyDVD.

Try a DVD+R disc to see if it is a more compatible type of disc.

James,

Yes, I exported the file as MPEG-2 from Video Wave and then I used MyDVD to prepare the file along with a menu screen for the purpose of playing it in any regular old DVD player... I thought DVD-R was supposed to be the most easily recognized type of disc. I will buy some DVD+R and DVD+RW to see if there is any difference. This Sony is supposed to be fairly good at playing virtually everything.

I have heard that there is more than one DVD player that does not like "homemade" DVD discs. Is this true? Why are the DVDs we burn with any software different than the DVDs that a professional company produces? :huh::)

Which application are you using to burn? Seems like some people are having compatiblity problems when they burn ISO files from the 'Home' application. This is Sonic's Record Now technology. Click on 'Otions' and choose custom defaults seem to burn more compatible discs (not smart render).

If you use Creator Classic or Disc Copier to burn an ISO, it uses Roxio's technology. These two companies are still in the process of integrating their products since the merger about a year ago. Personally, I use Disc Copier and haven't had a single problem with any disc type (DVD+- R or RW). Ok once with some REALLY cheap disc, butI blamed that on the media. :)

I have heard that there is more than one DVD player that does not like "homemade" DVD discs. Is this true? Why are the DVDs we burn with any software different than the DVDs that a professional company produces? :huh::)

Because of the millions of dollars in equipment and software that the industry uses. :D

EMC 9 gives you DVDInfo Pro. This program checks the burn to the disc, with a disc quality check and a PI PO error test.

I have never met anyone that can tell the quality of the burn and the Pi, Po, errors on a disc by looking at it! To say it's this or that is only speculation.

My suggestion use DVDInfo Pro disc quality check and the PI, PO, error test on the problem disc's.

If they pass the tests and won't play, we know what it isn't.

I have a Sony DVP-NS70H upconverting DVD Player that plays any +, -, R, + RW, and +R Dual Layer disc I throw at it! I don't use DVD - RW or -R Dual Layer media.

cd

Hello,

I am not new to burning, but I am to EMC9. I can not play back a dvd or cd created with these programs. Every player I put it in (TV DVD Player), I get the same problem. It spins a long while, and then I get an error message "Cannot Read Disk". I have tried it in 3 dvd players, and I have used both -r and +r disks from 4 manufacturers.

Right you are....

http://www.aidinc.com/features/dvdfaq.asp

This website has a pretty good discussion about compatability. When talking about consumer level video editors and DVD tools they state the following:

"..... Most do not have a very good formatting engine, so you should not expect to make discs that are going to have a high level of compatibility. However, this limitation of the formatting is offset quite a lot by the very limited features in most of these tools, which prevent you from implementing the trickier functions of the DVD spec that might otherwise cause problems. Examples: PC: Sonic Solutions MyDVD & DVDit!; Ulead Dazzle; Mac: Apple iDVD." :huh:

This is not finding fault with Roxio.... It is just dissapointing to know there will be compatability issues with most software packages in the consumer and prosumer price range. :)

My 2 cents is that I had more luck in my crappy dvd player (just retired it) when burning to an image file and using Creator Classic to burn my ISO's instead of Disc Copier. For some reason, Disc Copier 9 burned ISO's gave me trouble in my old player and when I used Creator to burn them, they all work fine. However, my other players have no problem at all with anything I put in them.

You might give that a try.

:) YEAH :huh:

Since I was having a compatibility issue with a Sony DVD player, I purchased Sony DVD+R discs and they work beautifully! The DVD+Rs work in the Sony, Magnavox and an old Daewoo player. This is proof that disc manufacturer really is an issue.

Some interesting notes.... The Sony discs load faster and have a whole lot less chatter while loading. I am not sure what the issue is with the poorer performing Verbatim DVD-Rs.

I have a similiar issue, I have been using the CD Creator Suite 6 with no problems making DVD's. Now I have upgraded to version 9 and the DVD's I am creating will play only on a pc, not any of my home DVD players. I get Disc Read errors... Same computer, same spindle of DVD's, and the same dvd players as before. The only difference is the software. That tells me there is something else going on here... Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Vince

Bruce

The error message is simply, "Cannot play this disc." The player will give this message after trying for a couple of minutes to load the disc.

I am using single side, single layer Verbatim DVD-Rs. These are supposed to be very reliable.

I found a really good website that lists compatability of various DVD players:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php

Interestingly enough, the Sony DVP-NS45P has no reviews at the videohelp website. The cheapo Magnavox is listed on the site too... The difference is that there are reports showing that it supports many formats, etc. It works.

Does anyone else have this player and having problems with DVD burns not playing?

Archived