File Type Error Upon Re-Installation

ALMOSTsaved

Question

I just re-installed my Roxio Easy Creator 7. The reason I uninstalled it to begin with was because it was really running slow and dragging to the point of basically NOT working at all. Anyway, long story short, the installation progress went smoothly. However, when I went to rip a CD to MP3, the "File Type" section was completely blank. It no longer lists the following options:

Coding Technologies MP3 encoder - .mp3

Fraunhofer MP3 encoder - .mp3

Ogg Vorbis 1.0 - .ogg

PCM - .wav

Windows Media Audio - .wma

Therefore I can't even SAVE any files. Does anyone know how to solve this problem? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

13 answers to this question

If you automaticly download and install all "critical updates" - I.E. 7 was designated "Critical Update". EMC 7 is NOT the only piece of software that it breaks.

(And the solution is to uninstall it and go back to I.E. 6.)

Lynn

Well, last night I rolled back to Internet Exporer 6 and uninstalled and re-installed Roxio for what seems the 20th time in the last week. It didn't work. Roxio is toast. What I don't understand is why all of a sudden I suddenly cannot convert / save audio files of ANY format. It's frustrating to say the least. Again, thanks all, for your help!

Thanks for all the help everyone. I tried all methods discussed here and unfortunately, nothing worked. Guess my Roxio disc is now a coaster. :)

Did we ask you if you had Internet Explorer 7 installed on your computer? Unfortunately, it 'breaks' EMC7 and you have to uninstall IE 7 and rollback to version 6. ( Instructions are at the top of the VideoWave 7 forum. )

Did we ask you if you had Internet Explorer 7 installed on your computer? Unfortunately, it 'breaks' EMC7 and you have to uninstall IE 7 and rollback to version 6. ( Instructions are at the top of the VideoWave 7 forum. )

I'll have to look into it. The problem is, the Roxio was working prior to being installed. It was just moving slowly. I uninstalled and re-installed just in hopes that it would work better after. However, upon re-installation, I can no longer copy audio files of any nature to my hard drive and this means no ripping to MP3 for me any more with this program.

I'll have to look into it. The problem is, the Roxio was working prior to being installed. It was just moving slowly. I uninstalled and re-installed just in hopes that it would work better after. However, upon re-installation, I can no longer copy audio files of any nature to my hard drive and this means no ripping to MP3 for me any more with this program.

If you automaticly download and install all "critical updates" - I.E. 7 was designated "Critical Update". EMC 7 is NOT the only piece of software that it breaks.

(And the solution is to uninstall it and go back to I.E. 6.)

Lynn

I just re-installed my Roxio Easy Creator 7. The reason I uninstalled it to begin with was because it was really running slow and dragging to the point of basically NOT working at all. Anyway, long story short, the installation progress went smoothly. However, when I went to rip a CD to MP3, the "File Type" section was completely blank. It no longer lists the following options:

Coding Technologies MP3 encoder - .mp3

Fraunhofer MP3 encoder - .mp3

Ogg Vorbis 1.0 - .ogg

PCM - .wav

Windows Media Audio - .wma

Therefore I can't even SAVE any files. Does anyone know how to solve this problem? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Get rid of the viruses and malware/adware that you have on your computer. Update your video drivers.

Get rid of the viruses and malware/adware that you have on your computer. Update your video drivers.

Well everything went wrong when I installed "Norton Anti Virus"...It dragged my computer down immensely. Before I'd been using McAffee and it was terrible. In the end I had to uninstall Norton, ask for a refund and then I uninstalled / re-installed Roxio 7 and nothing has ever been the same. While we're at it, do you have any suggestions for a "GOOD" virus protection in which to begin this entire process? I'm hoping to not have to reformat my entire computer.

Thanks so much for your help!

Well everything went wrong when I installed "Norton Anti Virus"...It dragged my computer down immensely. Before I'd been using McAffee and it was terrible. In the end I had to uninstall Norton, ask for a refund and then I uninstalled / re-installed Roxio 7 and nothing has ever been the same. While we're at it, do you have any suggestions for a "GOOD" virus protection in which to begin this entire process? I'm hoping to not have to reformat my entire computer.

Thanks so much for your help!

When you are installing any software, you want to make sure that your virus software is DISABLED.

I use Norton for my virus software and have not had a problem.

When you are installing any software, you want to make sure that your virus software is DISABLED.

I use Norton for my virus software and have not had a problem.

So the reason Roxio is no longer giving me the option of how I want to save "audio" files (as MP3, wav, etc) is because I either have a virus, adware or the fact that I re-installed with virus protection enabled?

Hi there: Give this a try. I had some files missing too and did this and it worked.

1. Put your install disk in, when the install screen comes up, cancell it. If it doesn't come up still do the following.

2. Leave the install disk in and reboot the computer.

3. After reboot go to add\remove, go to EMC and click it like you are going to deltete. But don't delete, click "CHANGE". If it works like mine a screen will come up where you can choose "repair".

4. Click repair and follow the screen to install repair files.

5. When it is complete. Reboot and then try to see if the problem still exists.

Let me know how you do.

Bill (edited to remove e-mail from spammer access)

catu62 - these are public Forums, searched regularly by google and other search engines, which in turn are searched by spammers seeking to "harvest" email addresses for spamming purposes. You might want to edit your post to remove your email address - if it isn't already too late.

Lynn

Thanks for all the help everyone. I tried all methods discussed here and unfortunately, nothing worked. Guess my Roxio disc is now a coaster. :)

Hi there: Give this a try. I had some files missing too and did this and it worked.

1. Put your install disk in, when the install screen comes up, cancell it. If it doesn't come up still do the following.

2. Leave the install disk in and reboot the computer.

3. After reboot go to add\remove, go to EMC and click it like you are going to deltete. But don't delete, click "CHANGE". If it works like mine a screen will come up where you can choose "repair".

4. Click repair and follow the screen to install repair files.

5. When it is complete. Reboot and then try to see if the problem still exists.

Let me know how you do.

Bill

Thank you SO much for the help! Can't wait to get home and try this!

If you want your virus software disabled during a new software program installation, I'd suggest that you first unplug the hookup to your internet connection first. I have had the problem of disabling my Norton Internet Security software while doing something else and found some unwanted files on my computer afterwards. The fact that my ISP connection is DSL, it's always live, which means that some unwanted files could be placed on your computer.

After the new software installation, just hookup the internet connection again and re-boot.

Frank....

catu62 - these are public Forums, searched regularly by google and other search engines, which in turn are searched by spammers seeking to "harvest" email addresses for spamming purposes. You might want to edit your post to remove your email address - if it isn't already too late.

Lynn

Archived