• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Drag To Disc Stopped Working

rocko14

Question

Been working with EMC8 for about a month.

I'm working on a project to transfer 100 hours of VHS video to DVD with the following requirements:

1. Produce useable data files [mpg2 or avi] for future use

2. Produce viewable video in DVD format.

So far, I have been doing ok until today. I suddenly can not create data disc using either Drag to Disc or via the Data Disc feature available from Roxio Creator 8 Suite home page.

After the program copies files to DVD from my hard drive it displays the files in the explorer window for my CD rom drive but when I eject the disc and reinsert it I see no files!!!

Drag to disc appears to be working [displays dialog box with status bar and time remaining] and even displays the files in the explorer window. I eject the disc using the Drag to disc window, greeted wiith the dialog box to 'use disc on other computers [i have checked the box marked 'Leave the disc as is' under both Nonwriteable and rewriteable sections] and I confirm. The disc drive ejects and there are no errors. I even checked the application and system log in windows xp pro event viewer utility and i see nothing.

I reloaded the previous discs I created and they all contain the files so I know I was able to back up files successfully using the drag to disc utility.

I rebooted and tried again. Same problem. All looks like it is working until I reload the DVD.

Nada. None. No files and no errors.

Is this the buggiest software ever or what?

7 answers to this question

Been working with EMC8 for about a month.

I'm working on a project to transfer 100 hours of VHS video to DVD with the following requirements:

1. Produce useable data files [mpg2 or avi] for future use

2. Produce viewable video in DVD format.

So far, I have been doing ok until today. I suddenly can not create data disc using either Drag to Disc or via the Data Disc feature available from Roxio Creator 8 Suite home page.

After the program copies files to DVD from my hard drive it displays the files in the explorer window for my CD rom drive but when I eject the disc and reinsert it I see no files!!!

Drag to disc appears to be working [displays dialog box with status bar and time remaining] and even displays the files in the explorer window. I eject the disc using the Drag to disc window, greeted wiith the dialog box to 'use disc on other computers [i have checked the box marked 'Leave the disc as is' under both Nonwriteable and rewriteable sections] and I confirm. The disc drive ejects and there are no errors. I even checked the application and system log in windows xp pro event viewer utility and i see nothing.

I reloaded the previous discs I created and they all contain the files so I know I was able to back up files successfully using the drag to disc utility.

I rebooted and tried again. Same problem. All looks like it is working until I reload the DVD.

Nada. None. No files and no errors.

Been using Fuji DVDs all from the same package.

Is this the buggiest software ever or what?

Resolved the problem.

It was the firmware. I looked at that as a possible problem but when I checked the version it appeared to be the latest.

Checked again and my version was LX34 and the latest was LX43. [i must be dyslexic or something]

I found a link, downloaded and installed it.

Checked every type of DVD I could find here in the office.

Worked everytime.

Jeez rocko, you have a one man thread going!!!

Glad you got it resolved, however I just wanted to point out one thing. D2D is a packet writer and like all packet writers is about the most unreliable form of burning ever devised.

It should only be used for the transfer of files from one PC to another when no other means exists. It should never be used for any type of backup!!!

Stick with Classic for this type of work, and do not use disc spanning. You will not be disappointed with a Data Disc.

Great. I just archived 100 vhs tapes to dvd using D2D. I had a 5% failure rate on writing to disc but I can't really blame D2D or the media as my system log shows IMAPI CD Burner errors dating back to Dec 2nd.

This is my second CD Rom replacement since I bought my Winbook. Sill under warranty so I'm sending it back for another replacement.

As far as my project, I still have all of the videos on an external hard drive but I'll need to clean that puppy up for another round of converting tapes.

So far, I'm able to read all of the discs [approx 50 DVD 4x discs] and copy the contents back to another hard drive to verify the archive worked.

If I'm able to read these files from disc should I'd still be concerned about the integrity of these discs?

This is a major project where I'm converting over 200 vhs tapes [dating back to 1992] and audio cassette tapes to digital media. The final output will be a 2 hour documentary.

Thanks

The classic failure of a packet writer is when you pop the media in and it has no files.

You are doing major backups with D2D and it is not recommended! If you use Classic you can actually get more on a disc since no space is lost to formatting.

You have been warned, but by all means come back when your project fails and we might be able to help you recover some of it…

Apparently the problem is with the discs.

I have been using 4x DVD for the first 25 discs but the 2nd pack I opened are marked 16x. I never noticed the difference but both packages have the same UPC number which I find odd.

They are all Fuji.

But why would this make a difference? I can make a single disc but have to reboot or every disc after that will fail without any errors either on screen or in the event log.

Similar probblem with making DVD video discs.

Question: is there a setting somewhere in Roxio to control the speed of write mode? [My music software has a setting to write to 1x, 4x, 8x or auto.]

Thanks

Jeez rocko, you have a one man thread going!!!

Glad you got it resolved, however I just wanted to point out one thing. D2D is a packet writer and like all packet writers is about the most unreliable form of burning ever devised.

It should only be used for the transfer of files from one PC to another when no other means exists. It should never be used for any type of backup!!!

Stick with Classic for this type of work, and do not use disc spanning. You will not be disappointed with a Data Disc.

Great. I just archived 100 vhs tapes to dvd using D2D. I had a 5% failure rate on writing to disc but I can't really blame D2D or the media as my system log shows IMAPI CD Burner errors dating back to Dec 2nd.

This is my second CD Rom replacement since I bought my Winbook. Sill under warranty so I'm sending it back for another replacement.

As far as my project, I still have all of the videos on an external hard drive but I'll need to clean that puppy up for another round of converting tapes.

So far, I'm able to read all of the discs [approx 50 DVD 4x discs] and copy the contents back to another hard drive to verify the archive worked.

If I'm able to read these files from disc should I'd still be concerned about the integrity of these discs?

This is a major project where I'm converting over 200 vhs tapes [dating back to 1992] and audio cassette tapes to digital media. The final output will be a 2 hour documentary.

Thanks

Resolved the problem.

It was the firmware. I looked at that as a possible problem but when I checked the version it appeared to be the latest.

Checked again and my version was LX34 and the latest was LX43. [i must be dyslexic or something]

I found a link, downloaded and installed it.

Checked every type of DVD I could find here in the office.

Worked everytime.

Archived