Video Compilations

Absolute Beginner

Question

Posters to this board seem to get a LOT of good assistance. So I'm encouraged to ask for some for myself...

I picked up Creator 9 to more or less "join" AVI files burn them as a single DVD (i.e., convert files, no DVD menu needed, play files sequentially). I ASSUME that DVD Copy's Video Compilation is the best way to do this. When I start adding files to burn I notice that the Content Quality indicator doesn't budge. It is always green, reads "Excellent" quality and "4482 MB" - no matter how many (large) files I add. Isn't this supposed to be how the software warns me about compression requirements and subsequent quality issues? Or how many discs I might need?

I did try to "over-select" the amount of files to be added (to some ridiculous overall size) and got an error message: "R6025 Pure Virtual Function Call". Could that be indicative of a software/hardware problem - or more likely operator error?

Is there any way to see an estimate of how long such projects will take to complete? Can compiling and burning to DVD projects be paused and resumed later?

Please let me know if I'm using the optimal Creator 9 tool for AVI "joining". This software seems to have a variety of ways to accomplish a task. The Users Guide needs a "flowchart" just to help newbies choose the right tool.

Thanks!

6 answers to this question

Thank you for your reply.

By "joining" I mean miming what joining software does: combine two or more (AVI) files into one large file (same format). Rather than buying such software, joining two AVI files, converting one large merged AVI file to a DVD format, and then burning it to a DVD - I bought Roxio. Creator 9's Movie Compiler allows me to select two video files and burn them as a DVD. "Joining" doesn't seem to even be necessary in this scenario because Compiler does not require me to create a menu for the two halves of the burned video. Compiler also allows me to have the selected files play sequentially as a DVD. In short, Video Compiler doesn't need me to join AVI files to see them play on a DVD player. (I think I answered your question in a rather verbose way. Sorry. Similar to videography, brevity is not one of my better skills.)

I think it is slick software – but the Quality indicator doesn't give me a clue about the burning size/quality/capacity that is about to take place in a compiler project. This seems so obvious yet so evasive. I don't discount any possibilities such as software problems, hardware problems, or still very possibly – operator error. Maybe I need to recalibrate my expectations. (I will check my video card drivers.)

Your thoughts?

Thank you for your reply.

By "joining" I mean miming what joining software does: combine two or more (AVI) files into one large file (same format). Rather than buying such software, joining two AVI files, converting one large merged AVI file to a DVD format, and then burning it to a DVD - I bought Roxio. Creator 9's Movie Compiler allows me to select two video files and burn them as a DVD. "Joining" doesn't seem to even be necessary in this scenario because Compiler does not require me to create a menu for the two halves of the burned video. Compiler also allows me to have the selected files play sequentially as a DVD. In short, Video Compiler doesn't need me to join AVI files to see them play on a DVD player. (I think I answered your question in a rather verbose way. Sorry. Similar to videography, brevity is not one of my better skills.)

I think it is slick software – but the Quality indicator doesn't give me a clue about the burning size/quality/capacity that is about to take place in a compiler project. This seems so obvious yet so evasive. I don't discount any possibilities such as software problems, hardware problems, or still very possibly – operator error. Maybe I need to recalibrate my expectations. (I will check my video card drivers.)

Your thoughts?

If you aren't doing any editing to those .avi files, then the compiler, in Disc Copir, is the way to go. The size of those files means nothing when it comes to video. The length of time rules. You will get 1 hour of video on a standard 4.7 GB DVD, at best quality. Anything beyond an hour will be compressed, when you are using Disc Copier.

As you can see there is more than one way to skin this cat with EMC…

First thing you need to do is stop thinking in limited this file, that file, this format, that format terms.

As I said, you can put 5 clips together and they can be in 5 different formats, then burn it to a DVD without jumping through any hoops!

Get a few RW discs to play with, and give it a try. There are many variations and many strategies. Get your feet wet and come back with your questions.

Thank you for your response. (I was starting to feel neglected or just plain silly.) The thread you referred me to is exactly the kind of excellent support that I see throughout this forum. It's a real asset to Roxio. Unfortunately I don't think it helps me. Maybe I've misrepresented my problem.

The thread dealt primarily with burning DIVX files to DIVX DVDs (with compatible DVD players). This produced a lot of discussion regarding how to keep files from recoding. I don't want to make DIVX DVDs. I want to convert/recode and burn my various media files (i.e., AVIs, WMVs, MPGs, etc.) so that they can be played as "regular" DVDs. (Typically I have two AVIs that need to play consecutively – a "Part A" and a "Part B".) My AVIs may be DIVX coded – I'm really not sure; but, I have successfully converted and burned single AVI files to DVD. So I don't think it a DIVX codec issue.

It gets back to not having visibility to the project regarding capacity and quality. I can't believe The Content Quality indicator is just window dressing. (An illustration contained in the thread showed that the CQI can display something different than what I keep seeing.)

I appreciate your help – but am looking for more.

First of all, what do you want to accomplish by "joining"?

That could be taken as adding various clips one after another to produce one long movie.

Or it could be adding several clips as independent Titles, each with its' own button to run it.

As far as interface items that don't seem to work, this is usually fixed when you update the drivers for you Video Card and load the latest DirectX drivers.

Archived