• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Compression Rates

Michael_C

Question

I'm looking for better compression of video when burning to DVD. Will MC9 provide sufficient improvement over MC7 in this area. I've been reluctant to upgrade since there were a number of things I had disliked when I went to MC7, and was holding out for a better alternative. I had found VideoWave 7 to be unstable, and DVD Builder to lack flexibility in areas I cared about.

Anyway, currently, I want to burn a single layered disc with 150 minutes of content. Will going to MC9 help? Do I need to upgrade, or will products like DVDShrink do the trick with MC7?

Michael

7 answers to this question

I'm looking for better compression of video when burning to DVD. Will MC9 provide sufficient improvement over MC7 in this area. I've been reluctant to upgrade since there were a number of things I had disliked when I went to MC7, and was holding out for a better alternative. I had found VideoWave 7 to be unstable, and DVD Builder to lack flexibility in areas I cared about.

Anyway, currently, I want to burn a single layered disc with 150 minutes of content. Will going to MC9 help? Do I need to upgrade, or will products like DVDShrink do the trick with MC7?

Michael

I only have 9 installed now so I can't compare the 2 versions but can say I'm pleased with the quality of compressed discs I made in EMC9. I've never tried DVD Shrink but people brag about it like it's wonderful so I guess it's good too.

There's lots of other improvements jumping from 7 to 9 to make it worth the investment in my opinion. It only depends on what you plan on doing. Plus, not that you need IE7 but if you plan to update your browser for IE, 7 won't do but 9 will.

With the price of DVDs I always burn to 2 DVD if any videi is more then 90 minutes

Thank you for the information. The videos I"m working on are of educational presentations - I'm not concerned with the cost of the discs, but more the logistics of having multiple discs for some presentations, and single ones for others. The discs will be made available for members of the group to review. Getting all the discs back is as big an issue as anything else. It requires the librarian to take note of writing on the discs (e.g, 1 of 2, 2 of 2), to ensure both discs come back. Possibly double disc carriers will make help clue the people that two discs are to be returned.

What problems are introduced

I personally would never burn more then about 90 minutes to a DVD. With the price of DVDs I always burn to 2 DVD if any videi is more then 90 minutes

I'm assuming there are potential problems when you exceed 90 minutes on a disc. Is there a discussion on those problems? Is it just reduced video quality, or are there some other issues?

Thanks again,

Michael

Thank you for the information. The videos I"m working on are of educational presentations - I'm not concerned with the cost of the discs, but more the logistics of having multiple discs for some presentations, and single ones for others. The discs will be made available for members of the group to review. Getting all the discs back is as big an issue as anything else. It requires the librarian to take note of writing on the discs (e.g, 1 of 2, 2 of 2), to ensure both discs come back. Possibly double disc carriers will make help clue the people that two discs are to be returned.

What problems are introduced

I'm assuming there are potential problems when you exceed 90 minutes on a disc. Is there a discussion on those problems? Is it just reduced video quality, or are there some other issues?

Thanks again,

Michael

A discussion thread on video duration.

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?...ost&p=74112

myguggi,

I installed EMC9 yesterday, and had numerous issues with the machine hanging up. I noticed you have the same graphics card as I do - NVDIA GeForce FX 5200. I suspected the issue could have been either disc space, or driver issues. I offloaded files to another drive and have over 50 gigs available, so don't feel disc space is an issue, and the system still hangs - and is very slow in responding when editing movies. I replaced the video driver, but had an error during the install. The currently installed driver is quite old, which is version 4.4.0.3 - What driver do you have for your FX 5200?

It's possible I picked the wrong download file from NVIDIA - I seem to recall having some uncertainty when picking the driver a few months ago - I didn't install until yesterday. For what it's worth, the driver install I downloaded, is 91.47_forceware_winxp2k_english_whql.exe

I'm running an HP 3 GHz machine with 1 G ram.

Any other ideas that could affect running EMC9?

Michael

A discussion thread on video duration.

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?...ost&p=74112

Thanks for the link to the thread - I don't know if I interpreted the info correctly, but it sounds like there are two issues - one is a 2 hour software limit placed on each title, and secondly, video quality.

It also looks like saving to a folder set and using disc copier will work on video larger than 2 hours - Will this only work for DL - e.g., Disc copier can't compress enough to fit more than 2 hours on a single layer disc?

Is the above interpretation correct?

Michael

Have you ever created a DVD of 150 minutes or longer? If so, any issues that come up?

Michael

Since single-layer DVD can only hold 60 minutes of video at best quality, anything above that will result in reduced quality. The only way to create a DVD longer then 60 minutes and still maintain "best but reduced" quality is to first burn to an iso file and then use Disc Copier to burn the iso file to a DVD. DiscCopier will take the iso file (which should have a size of about 11-12GB for 150 minutes) and transcode it to fit an the 4.7GB DVD. There also may be a problem if any of your titles are longer then abot 120 minutes. I personally would never burn more then about 90 minutes to a DVD. With the price of DVDs I always burn to 2 DVD if any videi is more then 90 minutes

Archived