"One or more of your files did not compare to their originals"

abcdefg

Question

After burning a data DVD I received the following error message:

"One or more of your files did not compare to their originals. It is recommended you try to create your disc again. Please remember to shut down all applications while disc creation is in progress."

When I checked out the burned DVD I was able to read from it and it appeared normal, but considering the message I wonder if I all the files were readable. With another version of Roxio I was able to work on my computer and burn DVD's at the same time. In this case I wasn't working on the computer while it was burning. I'm going to try shutting down some programs running in the background and see what happens.

If anyone has any experience with this issue; i.e. if certain applications are problematic, let me know.

Thanks for the help.

8 answers to this question

I wonder if you included a temp file while you were burning?

If you set the suite to add all programs (including hidden ones) it's possible that's what happened - and the result was that you had one copy on the disc plus an updated copy elsewhere

Well, even after shutting down Groupwise and the CA processes, shutting down Windows Explorer (the last remaining app I had open), and shutting down every other process I could via Task Manager (except the evil GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe which refused to die) I was still getting this message every third or fourth DVD burn. I tried looking for thumbs.db files but there weren't any. After a search on the network among the files just burned I found none with a date for today so apparently there weren't any temp file issues.

On the DVD just burned I checked it randomly and couldn't find any files that wouldn't open so I'm going to take the "ignorance is bliss" approach and turn off verification (see Tools > Options > Data > Verify data written to the disc after burning) as per a suggestion on another site:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=78060

I wonder if you included a temp file while you were burning?

If you set the suite to add all programs (including hidden ones) it's possible that's what happened - and the result was that you had one copy on the disc plus an updated copy elsewhere

That's an interesting idea. I can see how that could be a problem. In this case it's a static collection of images and pdf's from our network. I wondered if perhaps the network was doing something funny, but in the end it appears one of three background applications was causing the problem. I've had two successful burns after shutting down the following from the task bar in Windows (everything on the Desktop but Roxio is shut down too):

- Groupwise Notify

- CA eTrust Threat Management Agent (anti-virus software - I suspect this is the culprit)

- CA UniCenter Desktop and Server Management (a software distribution tool used by our network admins)

Thanks for your help.

i'm using Roxio Creator 9 LE

Version: 9.0.603

Build: 906B03A, CHL on a windows 2000 Pro Sp4 machine ...

i tried copying a folder from a network drive to a Sony -cdrw 700mb x10 CD and got

"files did not compare to the originals"

i moved the folder to my c: drive and re-ran the process and got same error.

i then tried using a Sony 700mb cd-r and the folder was copied perfectly.

i blame the media - i have endless problems with SONY CD-RW discs and various flavours of Roxio.

Roxio don't care and neither do Sony. Unfortunately, I have no control over the supply of our CDs, so simply make lots of coasters.

John

John: Nobody has been in this thread for 16 months!

Sony does not make discs so everyone you buy is from the lowest bidder.

Verbatim is one of the few brand names that actually make their own discs.

RW's are intended for temporary storage and will fail in time.

You should not attempt to burn any disc with files coming across a network.

I have been having the same problem.

When I have tried to open some of the folders after the burn and Verification error, Windows explorer has hung and won't restart until the errant disc is removed.

It would be very helpful if Media creator 9 would inform us which files weren't written properly.

Even this forum website doesn't work properly. I tried to enter a signature into my profile, but kept on being taken back to the homepage when I clicked on "Update profile".

I have been having the same problem.

When I have tried to open some of the folders after the burn and Verification error, Windows explorer has hung and won't restart until the errant disc is removed.

It would be very helpful if Media creator 9 would inform us which files weren't written properly.

Even this forum website doesn't work properly. I tried to enter a signature into my profile, but kept on being taken back to the homepage when I clicked on "Update profile".

Archived