DVD Builder vs Internet Explorer 7

Grampa Dave

Question

After upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, DVD Builder did not work properly. I checked Roxio's data base to find that they reccommend to upgrade to V9 (which I have) or to remove Internet Explorer 7. I find this to be a poor excuse for not taking the time to create a patch for this problem for those of us that still wishing to use V7.5. A lot of us have upgraded to V9 but have found that there are a lot of things in V7.5 that work a little more to out liking.

Does anyone know if Roxio has created a patch or have a fit for this problem???

Thanks

15 answers to this question

After upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, DVD Builder did not work properly. I checked Roxio's data base to find that they reccommend to upgrade to V9 (which I have) or to remove Internet Explorer 7. I find this to be a poor excuse for not taking the time to create a patch for this problem for those of us that still wishing to use V7.5. A lot of us have upgraded to V9 but have found that there are a lot of things in V7.5 that work a little more to out liking.

Thanks

Unfortunately, it doesn't always work out this way in the real world. While it would be nice for Roxio to make a patch for older versions, who's to say that X company doesn't come out with something in 6 months that effects your use of a product that is 2 years old on your system? Because MS makes a browser that isn't compatitble with software already 'out there', why should Roxio and others pay to patch products 2 versions removed? It gets expensive. Besides, there are other options such as Firefox, Opera and Netscape for browsers.

I don't have exact dates, but EMC 9 came out this year, and EMC 8 came out in '05, which means EMC 7.5 (issued after Sonic bought the name & software from the company then called Roxio & now known as Napster after buying the name & softwate for Napster) is 2 Versions old. I'm not sure if the age is 2 years - seems more like 1 1/2.

In this world where "normal" is accepted to be "a new Version every year", that is ancient, and long past support. I think the limits of that model may be being reached (Microsoft may have some information on that when they issue WinVista), but at the moment it applies.

You COULD establish a separate identity on the WinXP with I.E.6 and EMC 7.5 ... :)

Lynn

I'm always amazed at Microsoft's ability to issue updates to products that manage to 'break' so many existing programs. EMC 7 is not the only program the IE 7 'breaks'.

One would think that they're trying to discourage other companies from competing with their products. :)

"One would think that they're trying to discourage other companies from competing with their products"

BOY !!, That statement really says it all ml :) And the fact that most ALL of MS's programs they include in their operating systems by default over the past years have been other ideas and programs that MS has either bought out, borrowed or stole. But hey, that's how our system seems to work). It's ironic, but I can remember many years ago when computers first became big for home use that IBM (Big Blue) was the bad dude on the block until a guy named Gates and his buddy came along and brought them down to where they are today as far as home computer use is concerned with their new operating system DOS.

But hey, on the other hand, when things keep changing it keeps the industry going as far as software and hardware manufacturers are concerned.

Frank...

I think this is why Roxio sold the name & software to Sonic, and bought he name & software for Napster, which is what they are today. They looked into the future, and saw that as MS added CD burning, they would eventually add DVD burning (which they have in WinVista - we will see if Microsoft is correct in assuming that 20% of computers will have WinVista at the end of the year :) )

Lynn

Thanks

I think the question should be sent to Microsoft, asking them when they are going to fix the problem.

I think the question should be sent to Microsoft, asking them when they are going to fix the problem.

Perhaps rephrase that Bruce as to when they're going to ADMIT there's a problem (they can be a tad slower than a tortoise on fixing things) :)

That's certainly good reasoning Daithi. I don't think with either case though that MS would be of any help. I don't think they care "squat" about how their IE7 causes problems with our Roxio 7 series programs.

And the suggestions that Lynn has (regarding MS that is) are so true. If there is any software developers out their that have a great program going for them, you can bet somewhere in the near future MS will have it incorporated in their operating system default programs.

Not deliberitly banging on MS as I use and have used their operating system and programs for years and will continue, but they sure have a way of making it hard for the small guy.

Frank...

Not as far as I know G. Dave. If you want to continue EMC 7.5, then you will have to remove IE7 and go back to IE6.

I have both programs, but I also have each one on a different computer so I don't have to worry about that.

Frank...

I just ran into this IE7 issue. Easy Creator7 is the only app I have that seems bothered by IE7. At work we have a number of third party programs that don't run.

However, as much as I love using Firefox - you CANNOT get Windows updates unless you go to Microsoft.com in IE - guess it's back to 6 - just for that.

I don't choose to go EMC9 just yet.

Tom L

Folks: I think that all of you that have taken the side of Roxio with this issue have over looked one big thing. The real Roxio would, and did, send out a patch for a problem if only to help calm the waters that, yes, have been upset by Microsoft.

Since Roxio was bought out by Sonic the thought of customer service has gone down the tubes.

Roxio as well as all major software manufacturers recieved notice from Microsoft well in advance of Internet Explorer 7 and Vista coming out. They had then to decide how they were going to handle the lastest changes by Microsoft. It is quite obvious that Roxio/Sonic has decided, for what ever reason, to only make sure that their latest edition of Easy Media Creater would operate with Microsofts latest additions.

In todays world if the big guy does not keep in mind that Customer Service along with having a product that actually works for the customer is not important, then he to will fall by the way side. This end cost of disigning and producing software is peanuts when it comes to word of mouth about Customer Service the Product.

Thanks for allowing me to vent my concerns.

Not really Dave - if you think back, Roxio withdrew support for ECD5 after MS issued SP2 which effectively killed it - and that was long before any takeover by Sonic.

What basically is happening is that MS is 'updating' stuff irrespective of what may happen with other software - they seem to think that because they're the big boys in the neighbourhood they can do what they like and everyone else has to toe the line.

In the case of EMC 7x the same thing has happened as happened with ECD5 - a suite that is two versions back from the latest is being knocked out by a change in the OS - I know who I'd blame to be honest and it's not the one who gets knocked out.

Folks: I think that all of you that have taken the side of Roxio with this issue have over looked one big thing. The real Roxio would, and did, send out a patch for a problem if only to help calm the waters that, yes, have been upset by Microsoft.

Since Roxio was bought out by Sonic the thought of customer service has gone down the tubes.

Roxio as well as all major software manufacturers recieved notice from Microsoft well in advance of Internet Explorer 7 and Vista coming out. They had then to decide how they were going to handle the lastest changes by Microsoft. It is quite obvious that Roxio/Sonic has decided, for what ever reason, to only make sure that their latest edition of Easy Media Creater would operate with Microsofts latest additions.

In todays world if the big guy does not keep in mind that Customer Service along with having a product that actually works for the customer is not important, then he to will fall by the way side. This end cost of disigning and producing software is peanuts when it comes to word of mouth about the product.

Thanks for allowing me to vent my concerns.

We could go on forever on this subject.

Read this for Roxio's stand on this subject: http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=11313

We are just fellow user's like you.

Archived