I cannot use convert cds on laptop

PeterSanders

Question

Hi

Let me preface the question with the note that I have installed EMC9 on my desktop pc and the "convert cds" option works well. In this case EMC9 recognises the AUDIO CD in either the CD drive or DVD drive.

I am impressed that the conversion process seems to work very well - at least on the desktop pc.

My guess is that EMC9 is having problems with the laptop dvd because of "dvd driver" problems etc. Can anyone confirm this or possibly advise alternative solutions?

I have been unable to find any newer drivers for this DVD.

I wanted to use the laptop pc as it is a much faster P4 3.0ghz, the desktop is only AMD 1.4ghz.

I have tried a complete removal and FULL installation of EMC9 on the laptop and the problem remains :)

Thank you

regards

Peter

7 answers to this question

Hi

What specific Program and what specific steps are you using on your laptop to do this?
Start EMC9

Click on Audio

emc1.jpg

CLick on Convert CDs

emc2.jpg

What is the result?

The cd does (I think) get read however nothing at all is displayed in the file/track area, it does not seem to "register" with the program. The convert cds option does not allow me to "convert cds" the same option on the desktop pc works FINE!

It is really a major problem as I can use the DT pc, it is inconvenient though IF I want to use some cd music in my productions.

Yes I *know* I can use the sound editor etc, I have raised this problem previously and there have been "workaround" suggestions. While this is ok (I guess) I would rather have the program work*properly* if the problem can be resolved.

Hence I posted this question to see if there were any others having or have had the same problem and can advise what resolved the problem for them

The bottom line is,that I CAN get the audio converted and I CAN get it into a production, just NOT with the convenience that the program SHOULD provide.

My guess is a dvd "driver" problem, which at this point eludes my ability to recify it as a new driver (so far) cannot be found :)

It is annoying that the CD DOES work if I use the sound editor, I cann see, select and use ANY of the track on the cd.

Regards

Peter...

I have never been a fan of Wizard interfaces but I understand your point.

As far as optical drives, the only Drivers are those in Windows. You will not find any from a manufacture. What you might find is a Firmware update for that specific drive. Use the Disc and Device utility to see what the current installed firmware version is for that drive, then check the manufactures site for a more recent version. The 'RA' does indicate that this is an OEM version and as Beerman indicated there are a lot of complaints about its' ability to read.

Other than that, the only viable solution would be to replace the drive. Since you have a successful workaround, that would not seem to be the best solution…

Hi

Pioneer DVR K14-RA.

I cannot find amy relevant software/firmware upgrades for this model.

Yes I have checked the manufacturer.

Regards

Peter

From what I see, it certainly doesn't get rave reviews. Is this an Acer you have? Do you know what firmware version you have now?

Try one thing.When you have the app open to your second screen shot where you should see the tracks,go to the toolbar,hit tools,disc information and see if the drive's trying to read it but is either not seeing it or giving an error.If it reads it you should see the track names there,or if you're not connected to the internet you'll at least see track 1,track 2,etc...

Hi

Let me preface the question with the note that I have installed EMC9 on my desktop pc and the "convert cds" option works well. In this case EMC9 recognises the AUDIO CD in either the CD drive or DVD drive.

I am impressed that the conversion process seems to work very well - at least on the desktop pc.

My guess is that EMC9 is having problems with the laptop dvd because of "dvd driver" problems etc. Can anyone confirm this or possibly advise alternative solutions?

I have been unable to find any newer drivers for this DVD.

I wanted to use the laptop pc as it is a much faster P4 3.0ghz, the desktop is only AMD 1.4ghz.

I have tried a complete removal and FULL installation of EMC9 on the laptop and the problem remains :)

Thank you

regards

Peter

Don't keep it secret, what type of burner do you have in your laptop? Have you checked with the manufacturer for a firmware upgrade?

Archived