uwsoulman

Idiot Seeking Merciful Aid...

Question

Oh dear God, please someone have pity and answer me my dilemma. I'm trying to use MyDVD to put burn two .avi files onto a blank 4.7GB DVD. The two .avi file are 631MB and 573MB respectively, and yet I can't seem to fit them onto the disc. Does burning the .avi files in DVD format *really* expand them *that* much? I mean, after putting in just the first file, it swallowed up 90% of the disc space?!? I went into File->Project Settings and changed the Default Encoding Settings to Low and the audio track from Dolby Digital AC3 to MPEG, and it still says I'm 47.7MB *over* on disc space. C'mon... can this reallly be true? 1204MB of .avi = more than 4.7(FOUR...POINT....SEVEN!!!)GB of DVD in crummy low quality? Ack.

I have prostrated myself before thine keen tech intellect, beseeching you to magnanimously remedy my insipience, for surely this is a quandry of mine own making. It *must* be a result of my own technical ineptitude, for surely it cannot be that 1.2 is greater than 4.7!!!

Seriously though, I've been stranded on this for five or six days now, and if I squander any more time I'll have to gouge out my eyes. Please tell me this is do-able. I don't want to waste two blank dvd's on what should fit on one. There has to be something I'm not seeing, and whoever helps me out automatically goes on my Christmas card list....

Please help,

Geoff

5 answers to this question

Yes, indeed those two files are larger than 4.7gig. How? I have not doubt that they are DivX files which are highly compressed. the DVD standard uses MPEG2 which is NOT as compressed so the files will indeed be larger. You would probably have better luck using the video compilation in Disc Copier.

Yes, indeed those two files are larger than 4.7gig. How? I have not doubt that they are DivX files which are highly compressed. the DVD standard uses MPEG2 which is NOT as compressed so the files will indeed be larger. You would probably have better luck using the video compilation in Disc Copier.

If they are divx files, you can try your luck with Divx to DVD. These will result in smaller size files.

uwsoulman I enjoy you adjective laced post....ever thought of being a writer? :)

If they are divx files, you can try your luck with Divx to DVD. These will result in smaller size files.

uwsoulman I enjoy you adjective laced post....ever thought of being a writer? :)

Ahh, 'pcostanza', I give thanks for both your advice and that kindly stroking of my ego. I happened to have scrapped several failed manuscripts, and am soldiering on to one day complete my first novel. However, like you, and to my detriment, I also like free beer. Getting demo'ed has a way of impairing the creative process. Alas.... the resulting stories of *those* escapades I dare not seek to publish... I doubt they allow laptops in prison... : )

And 'ggrussell', thanks for clarifying for me that I wasn't losing my mind; and I'll jump on that disc copier tip right now.

Thanks again to both sage gentlemen for their stalwart aid of a lost neophyte. Woot!

-uwsoulman

Edited by uwsoulman

Ahh, 'pcostanza', I give thanks for both your advice and that kindly stroking of my ego. I happened to have scrapped several failed manuscripts, and am soldiering on to one day complete my first novel. However, like you, and to my detriment, I also like free beer. Getting demo'ed has a way of impairing the creative process. Alas.... the resulting stories of *those* escapades I dare not seek to publish... I doubt they allow laptops in prison... : )

And 'ggrussell', thanks for clarifying for me that I wasn't losing my mind; and I'll jump on that disc copier tip right now.

Thanks again to both sage gentlemen for their stalwart aid of a lost neophyte. Woot!

-uwsoulman

Shades of a very entertaining " A Knights Tale".

Here's to hoping you have plenty of problems to post about :)

G

Shades of a very entertaining " A Knights Tale".

Here's to hoping you have plenty of problems to post about :)

G

Those were, err, literate posts to read above! Thank you! Now, on to my problem, which seems to be rather common, but having read (I swaer/affirm) most every post on under video/mydvd support, my eyes are crossing.

I have several .avi files that I've editte and created .mwv's. Under EMC7, I was able to go into MYDVD, create a nice menu structure with an short intor "movie", and two of these puppies per DVD. Yes, ex[panded, they are almost 2G over the 4.7G DVD limit, but with "fit-to-DVD set, EMC7 had NO problem at all burning the project to DVD.

Not only does EMC8 NOT permit me to do that, but if I create a video folder (what the heck is a folder called ROXIOPLASMA?), I get errors trying to read it except for POWERPRODUCER (Roxio throsw up some of those error numbers I've seen while reading these posts). If I create an iso file I can go into DVD copy, but it shows the individual files and destroys the menu structure.

<sigh> It would be SO much simpler if "fit-to-disc" worked under MYDVD in EMC8... :huh: