• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

copy options, exact copy

ftngrave

Question

hello, i have easy media creator 8, and was hoping someone might be able to answer some questions. first, i have been burning cds that take audio from my computer, other cds, ect. thus, one burned cd will have audio from several sources.

-1) the MAJOR question i could not find an answer to on the internet is when roxio creates temporary files of the audio to then be burned, are these temporary files uncompressed, exact copies?

i still have a small bit of doubt about it, even though you can choose to save the file as a wav. file at 16 bit/44.1 KHz, which i do.

as long as i'm sure of this stage, under music disc creator, the newly burned cd seems to offer assurance of an exact copy...

-2) but is there any advanced feature i should change from the default settings under advanced options in the music disc creator to better ensure for an exact copy of the music?

i researched every option available to me with the cd drive i have the best i could, and it seems to me that i don't. i leave the write speed to 48x max, and it seems that if all the audio plays on the burned cd afterwards, then there's no reason to make the write speed slower; in other words, write speed doesn't matter unless the actual burning process doesn't complete for some reason, if that happens then it seems one might want to change the write speed.

-3) is this a correct assessment of write speed?

-4) i also burn with buffer underrun on. good, no?

-5) i also enable error logging. good, no?

lastly, the maximum write buffer allocation is kept set to 65 MB. i can't remember what i learned about this on the internet, but at the time it seemed to me to be fine.

-6) should i adjust this (maximum write buffer allocation)? if so, why and what does it do?

my other questions deal with making an exact copy of a cd using the Copy Disc option under Roxio's home.

-7) it seems, since i care about quality over the time it takes, that i should always enable "verify copied data discs (slower)". i should, no?

but i don't understand as well the function "stage to hard drive for better quality (slower)". this seems to prevent burning failure.

-8) does it better ensure that the burned copy is an exact copy?

hopefully someone out there could take the time to answer these perhaps elementary questions. i am burning original copies of recorded performances of music i wrote, so i am concerned about the cds i make being exact copies of the originals. soon, when i'll be burning cds of recorded music i care even more about, i'll need to understand these subtleties of cd burning. moving from roxio easy creator 5 to media 8 has shown me that cd burning has come a long way and that i don't understand things i think media 8 rightly assumes that i should, if only i had been burning cds longer when i cared about the advanced options. thanks.

2 answers to this question

hello, i have easy media creator 8, and was hoping someone might be able to answer some questions. first, i have been burning cds that take audio from my computer, other cds, ect. thus, one burned cd will have audio from several sources.

-1) the MAJOR question i could not find an answer to on the internet is when roxio creates temporary files of the audio to then be burned, are these temporary files uncompressed, exact copies?

i still have a small bit of doubt about it, even though you can choose to save the file as a wav. file at 16 bit/44.1 KHz, which i do.

as long as i'm sure of this stage, under music disc creator, the newly burned cd seems to offer assurance of an exact copy...

-2) but is there any advanced feature i should change from the default settings under advanced options in the music disc creator to better ensure for an exact copy of the music?

i researched every option available to me with the cd drive i have the best i could, and it seems to me that i don't. i leave the write speed to 48x max, and it seems that if all the audio plays on the burned cd afterwards, then there's no reason to make the write speed slower; in other words, write speed doesn't matter unless the actual burning process doesn't complete for some reason, if that happens then it seems one might want to change the write speed.

-3) is this a correct assessment of write speed?

-4) i also burn with buffer underrun on. good, no?

-5) i also enable error logging. good, no?

lastly, the maximum write buffer allocation is kept set to 65 MB. i can't remember what i learned about this on the internet, but at the time it seemed to me to be fine.

-6) should i adjust this (maximum write buffer allocation)? if so, why and what does it do?

my other questions deal with making an exact copy of a cd using the Copy Disc option under Roxio's home.

-7) it seems, since i care about quality over the time it takes, that i should always enable "verify copied data discs (slower)". i should, no?

but i don't understand as well the function "stage to hard drive for better quality (slower)". this seems to prevent burning failure.

-8) does it better ensure that the burned copy is an exact copy?

hopefully someone out there could take the time to answer these perhaps elementary questions. i am burning original copies of recorded performances of music i wrote, so i am concerned about the cds i make being exact copies of the originals. soon, when i'll be burning cds of recorded music i care even more about, i'll need to understand these subtleties of cd burning. moving from roxio easy creator 5 to media 8 has shown me that cd burning has come a long way and that i don't understand things i think media 8 rightly assumes that i should, if only i had been burning cds longer when i cared about the advanced options. thanks.

You have a multitude of questions in the post. That may be the reason why you aren't getting any responses.

1) I have no clue, but I don't understand why it would matter if your burn is what you wanted.

2) No settings that I know of, if you are just making an audio CD.

3) Yes

4) Yes, if you don't have problems with the burn.

5) I don't know about error logging.

6) I don't know.

7) I turn of verify. No need for it, whatsoever, and I don't really think it does what the name implies.

8) I don't think it does, but then again, I have never had a copy that wasn't an exact copy.

Archived