Can't copy NON-PROTECTED DVD

arthurdob

Question

I have a DVD that is DEFINITELY non-protected and EMC8 Copy sees it as a protected disc. I also have an older version of Intervideo's DVD Copy and it recognizes the disc as non-protected disc, which would be fine, but the older version of DVD Copy does not have the capability of copying to a DVD+R DL, which is what I need as I do not want the disc compressed to a 4.7GB size. What's the problem?

4 answers to this question

What is the error message?

There is no error message. You just get the same "look" you would get if you put a protected DVD in and tried to copy it. All the files have a little lock pictured where you otherwise would see an image from a non-protected DVD file, and you are not allowed to select any of the files for copying. Other non-protected discs I have tried are recognized as such.

There is no error message. You just get the same "look" you would get if you put a protected DVD in and tried to copy it. All the files have a little lock pictured where you otherwise would see an image from a non-protected DVD file, and you are not allowed to select any of the files for copying. Other non-protected discs I have tried are recognized as such.

Arthur: I am sorry but I still don't have a clue what you are referring to???

How about going through the steps you are taking, one at a time from the moment you press Start.

Also run the Disc and Device Utility and have it examine the Source disc and tell us what it says.

Arthur: I am sorry but I still don't have a clue what you are referring to???

How about going through the steps you are taking, one at a time from the moment you press Start.

Also run the Disc and Device Utility and have it examine the Source disc and tell us what it says.

1. Open EMC 8

2. Click on "Copy" tab

3. In the "Copy" window, click on Copy DVD Movies or Copy Disc; the same thing happens either way

4. Select source as either the DVD drive or the HD - remember, I can copy it to my hard drive because it is NOT protected

5. When the DVD drive is selected as the source, it says "Protected disc" underneath the selected source. If I copy the disc to my hard drive (which I do by copying the files directly from the disc with XP Home Ed. into a VIDEO_TS folder - and this does work because my computer's DVD player will read the files and play the videos without problems just like any other DVD) and select "Browse for Disc Image/DVD-Video Folder" I get generic pictures of a DVD disc with a little lock where one would normally see still images from the film and chapters as I do with copying other non-protected discs. If you don't know what I'm talking about, try browsing directly into a protected disc to see what that looks like.

Not surprisingly, the disc and device Utility also says the disc not copiable (protected), which makes sense since EMC 8 Copy also seems to think so. The problem is that this is a DVD+R DL disc I MADE from home videos with Pinnacle Studio 9, which has no capability of creating protected discs, so the idea that I've somehow mistakenly created a protected disc is simply not possible, so save your breath on that possibility. Remember - my InterVideo DVD Copy 2 program CAN read this disc and it does not allow a user to copy protected discs either. I have placed other discs I made at the same time in EMC 8 and it can read them just fine. THE PROBLEM IS EMC 8! There you go.

Archived