• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Video restarts after reaching end, and no Menu in DVD

Michael_C

Question

Is there a setting that controls whether the video will restart after reaching the end of play?

I have a single video which is 142 minutes long. I used the technique described in this forum which burns the content to a folder set, and then used disc copy to burn the contents of the folder set to DVD. The results were fine, but two issues came up.

1) No menu appears - I would have thought there would have been the single Title button.

2) Video replays (loops) at the beginning once it reaches the end - doesn't return to the "non-existing" menu.

Is there a way to resolve/change these two challenges?

Michael

25 answers to this question

Let me see if I understand what you did.

You built a project in MyDVD and then "burned" it to a Video Folder Set rather than a disc or image (.iso) file, correct?

If that's the case, then it sounds to me (from your lasted - quoted post) that you are using the Video Compilation part of Disc Copier and only selecting the movie. That would be the wrong way to do it to get the whole production on to a disc. You should be useing the CD & DVD Copy function (other button in disc copier) and selecting the DVD Video Folder as your Source.

My source is a "folder set" sitting on the hard drive, not on dvd.

When I am in MyDVD, I select "Create Folder set" from the "Burn Project" dialog. This results in a folder set, which I want to use as my "Source" in "Disc Copier". I then use "Disc Copier" to create the DVD. When I ran the video, on the computer, and compared what was on DVD to the "Source" folder set, I only saw the menu when looking at the Source. The DVD didn't have the Menu.

What I'm wondering - is the menu which is in the source used by "Disc Copier" eliminated by "Disc Copier" during the "burn" process. Or is there something I'm not setting, or doing correctly?

There are only three possibilities -

• I'm doing something wrong,
  • There is a bug in the software,
  • or both.

If others are having success with this, then I suspect there is something different about what I'm doing. I'm trying to determine if there is something I can do differently, or if this has been found to be a problem without a workaround.

Michael

My source is a "folder set" sitting on the hard drive, not on dvd.

When I am in MyDVD, I select "Create Folder set" from the "Burn Project" dialog. This results in a folder set, which I want to use as my "Source" in "Disc Copier". I then use "Disc Copier" to create the DVD. When I ran the video, on the computer, and compared what was on DVD to the "Source" folder set, I only saw the menu when looking at the Source. The DVD didn't have the Menu.

What I'm wondering - is the menu which is in the source used by "Disc Copier" eliminated by "Disc Copier" during the "burn" process. Or is there something I'm not setting, or doing correctly?

There are only three possibilities -

• I'm doing something wrong,
  • There is a bug in the software,
  • or both.

If others are having success with this, then I suspect there is something different about what I'm doing. I'm trying to determine if there is something I can do differently, or if this has been found to be a problem without a workaround.

Michael

Read Larry's post again. Which option did you use to burn to disc in Disc Copier? If you used Video Compilation, then you used the WRONG option.

To supplement Larry's response:

When you open Disc Copier, you will notice that there are two tabs on the upper left side namely CD & DVD Copy and the other one is Video Compilation. It appears that you had the second one (Video Compilation) as the active tab in which case will give you options to select parts of the entire movie: either individual "movie" or inidvidual "extra". In your case you want to select the CD & DVD Copy tab to copy the entire movie in the image file.

post-114-1166486868.jpg

To supplement Larry's response:

When you open Disc Copier, you will notice that there are two tabs on the upper left side namely CD & DVD Copy and the other one is Video Compilation. It appears that you had the second one (Video Compilation) as the active tab in which case will give you options to select parts of the entire movie: either individual "movie" or inidvidual "extra". In your case you want to select the CD & DVD Copy tab to copy the entire movie in the image file.

Thanks for the picture - I didn't even try the drop down when I saw "Please Insert Original Source Disc"., and the drop down pointing to one of my removable media drives. The words didn't "tell" me to point to a fixed mesium.

Thanks again,

Michael

Have you tried burning to a DVD? If not, then try that. The preview doesn't work like the final burned project.

I can try that, but didn't want to waste the DVDs. Is there any way to burn a DVD to the hard drive? the image file doesn't work like a DVD would.

Thanks for the picture - I didn't even try the drop down when I saw "Please Insert Original Source Disc"., and the drop down pointing to one of my removable media drives. The words didn't "tell" me to point to a fixed mesium.

Thanks again,

Michael

That's what I thought, that maybe the source was pointing to a drive with no CD or DVD in it hence the message to insert a source disc.

Anyway, were you finally able to point to the right folder set and able to burn to a disc?

That's what I thought, that maybe the source was pointing to a drive with no CD or DVD in it hence the message to insert a source disc.

Anyway, were you finally able to point to the right folder set and able to burn to a disc?

Yes, I was able to do so. I also checked to see if the "rendering using hardware" worked correctly when set to CD & DVD copy. The menu displayed, but so did all of the chapter buttons - which I don't want. I changed the setting to play all movies, and I think I have something that will work in the way I want. At least it did in preview. I should really test it on a smaller project so I wouldn't have to wait so long to see if the settings worked as I want, but taking a break isn't such a bad thing.

Thanks again for the pointers from you, Bruce and Larry.

Michael

Yes, I was able to do so. I also checked to see if the "rendering using hardware" worked correctly when set to CD & DVD copy. The menu displayed, but so did all of the chapter buttons - which I don't want. I changed the setting to play all movies, and I think I have something that will work in the way I want. At least it did in preview. I should really test it on a smaller project so I wouldn't have to wait so long to see if the settings worked as I want, but taking a break isn't such a bad thing.

Michael

Glad to be of help and good to hear positive outcome.

Michael

You are welcome, and glad you got it working.

Run the graphics test again to see if it stays set to Hardware. Leave it at hardware, and make a small production of 15-20 slides, with transitions between the slides. Save the production, close VideoWave, open MyDVD, and bring in that production.

Make sure that you are still in Hardware mode, make a menu, and burn to an .iso file or Folder set. Burn it to a DVD, and see if you still have a menu. If you do, I am going to uninstall my EMC 9 and EMC 7.5, reinstall EMC 9 and see if I have better luck with retaining transitions and menus when I burn, using Hardware rendering.

As I have previously stated, it sure isn't a problem with my video card not meeting the requirements. :)

Bruce,

I knew I was going to be away from the computer for a while this afternoon, so kicking off the same 2+ hour production was as good a thing to do as anything else - plus quicker to initiate. I made sure it was set to hardware rendering, and the final output after using "Disc Copier" was a dvd that had a menu, and had the three dimensional transition ("dual flip") working fine. From this, I'd say the process works fine. I can run the smaller test you suggested, but my guess is you were suggesting this as a time savings over running the test on my 2+ hour production. Looks good, and I would think a re-install would be a worthwhile exercise.

Michael

Bruce,

I knew I was going to be away from the computer for a while this afternoon, so kicking off the same 2+ hour production was as good a thing to do as anything else - plus quicker to initiate. I made sure it was set to hardware rendering, and the final output after using "Disc Copier" was a dvd that had a menu, and had the three dimensional transition ("dual flip") working fine. From this, I'd say the process works fine. I can run the smaller test you suggested, but my guess is you were suggesting this as a time savings over running the test on my 2+ hour production. Looks good, and I would think a re-install would be a worthwhile exercise.

Michael

You are correct. I recommended the shorter produciton for time's sake. I am glad that the long production worked for you!

I installed both EMC 9 and EMC 7.5 on my backup computer, to see if maybe EMC 7.5 was the problem with my main computer (my signature). I took the produciton that I had made on my main machine, and used hardware rendering on my backup machine. It worked just fine.

My backup machine has an older ATI Radeon 9800 Pro video card in it. I have no idea what the problem is with my main machine, but I will find out. :)

Thanks for your hard work on getting your production to work, and reporting your progress here. It will definitely help others, and me!

Is there a setting that controls whether the video will restart after reaching the end of play?

I have a single video which is 142 minutes long. I used the technique described in this forum which burns the content to a folder set, and then used disc copy to burn the contents of the folder set to DVD. The results were fine, but two issues came up.

1) No menu appears - I would have thought there would have been the single Title button.

2) Video replays (loops) at the beginning once it reaches the end - doesn't return to the "non-existing" menu.

Is there a way to resolve/change these two challenges?

Michael

You could try using software rendering in MyDVD. I had the same problem as you, and had to use software rendering to get my menu and transitions. It was a small slide show, and the encoding was painfully slow, but it worked. Yours would probably take about 8 hours to encode. :)

My video card far surpasses what is required, so I am thinking about uninstalling and reinstalling the software to see if that cures the ailment.

You could try using software rendering in MyDVD.

Thanks for your feedback.

The issues I'm seeing might be a "fallout" of using this approach - but the reason I chose to let Disc Copy "fit" the video onto the disc was it produces a far better video than using MyDVD's burn to DVD.

It might be fair that I lose the menu's and get the looping aspect when I use this "folder set" and Disc Copy approach.

That's what I'm trying to determine - is it the nature of what I'm doing that causes it - or, are there some settings, I don't know about, Disc Copy will "honor".

I could see the possibility that the "folder set" doesn't include the menu structure, and doesn't get established with Disc Copy.

I could also see the possibility that if I could change the settings so the dvd player doesn't return to the menu after the video finishes I could at least get rid of the looping problem.

However, I haven't found where this setting is in this version. In older versions I could specifiy what should happen when the video finishes.

Do you know where I can find this setting?

Michael

Thanks for your feedback.

The issues I'm seeing might be a "fallout" of using this approach - but the reason I chose to let Disc Copy "fit" the video onto the disc was it produces a far better video than using MyDVD's burn to DVD.

It might be fair that I lose the menu's and get the looping aspect when I use this "folder set" and Disc Copy approach.

That's what I'm trying to determine - is it the nature of what I'm doing that causes it - or, are there some settings, I don't know about, Disc Copy will "honor".

I could see the possibility that the "folder set" doesn't include the menu structure, and doesn't get established with Disc Copy.

I could also see the possibility that if I could change the settings so the dvd player doesn't return to the menu after the video finishes I could at least get rid of the looping problem.

However, I haven't found where this setting is in this version. In older versions I could specifiy what should happen when the video finishes.

Do you know where I can find this setting?

Michael

I burned mine to a folder set, DVD, and an .iso file for testing purposes. The only way that I could get the menu, in any of them, was to use software rendering. I then got the menu, even when I burned from the folder set in Disc Copier.

I think that the default setting is to go back to the Menu, after the movie finishes. If the menu actually burns, this will eliminate the looping that you are seeing.

Hopefully this issue will be fixed in the upcoming patch, whenever that will be released.

You could try using software rendering in MyDVD. I had the same problem as you, and had to use software rendering to get my menu and transitions. It was a small slide show, and the encoding was painfully slow, but it worked. Yours would probably take about 8 hours to encode. :)

My video card far surpasses what is required, so I am thinking about uninstalling and reinstalling the software to see if that cures the ailment.

what is software rendering? I have a problem that when I preview my slide show, I can't get back to the menu to select another slide show.

You are welcome, and glad you got it working.

The production works fine with one exception - I noticed one of the transitions wasn't working correctly since making the change back to hardware rendering. It was the "dual flip" transition. It still is set correctly, but when I went to view all of the transitions, it no longer is in the list. In fact all of the cube transitions are missing. Is there a way to restore the transitions without reinstalling the trial version? I would think I could get away with re-installing since all of the source and project files are contained withn one parent folder - however, I don't want to risk clobbering a general setting change I've made which isn't stored along with the production files. I'm expecting the box version on Friday, but would like to "ship" this off before loading.

I'm assuming my concerns aren't valid, but wanted to make sure in case they were. Plus if there is a safer way to restore just the transitions I"d rather go that route. I am curious how this might have happened. Are the transitions separate files, or are they bundled in a "library" file?

Michael

The production works fine with one exception - I noticed one of the transitions wasn't working correctly since making the change back to hardware rendering. It was the "dual flip" transition. It still is set correctly, but when I went to view all of the transitions, it no longer is in the list. In fact all of the cube transitions are missing. Is there a way to restore the transitions without reinstalling the trial version? I would think I could get away with re-installing since all of the source and project files are contained withn one parent folder - however, I don't want to risk clobbering a general setting change I've made which isn't stored along with the production files. I'm expecting the box version on Friday, but would like to "ship" this off before loading.

I'm assuming my concerns aren't valid, but wanted to make sure in case they were. Plus if there is a safer way to restore just the transitions I"d rather go that route. I am curious how this might have happened. Are the transitions separate files, or are they bundled in a "library" file?

Michael

I just noticed it was set to use software rendering - I set back to hardware, and saw the full list of transitions. Now, I wonder if the last test I ran was done correctly - e.g, to see if the menu is included when using hardware rendering.

Michael

I burned mine to a folder set, DVD, and an .iso file for testing purposes. The only way that I could get the menu, in any of them, was to use software rendering. I then got the menu, even when I burned from the folder set in Disc Copier.

I think that the default setting is to go back to the Menu, after the movie finishes. If the menu actually burns, this will eliminate the looping that you are seeing.

Hopefully this issue will be fixed in the upcoming patch, whenever that will be released.

The menu isn't displayed whether "Rendering Using" setting is on "Software", or "Hardware". I checked the folder sets on both the DVD, and the folder set output from MyDVD. For what it's worth - I ran the video's from both places, and the one created by MyDvd displayed the menu, and the one on the dvd (created by Disc Copier), didn't have the menu. Is there something in Disc Copier that needs to be set? Or is there something I'm doing/not doing that causes an issue?

The following is what I'm doing in Disc Copier"

• When I click on "Add Movies" there are two entries in the folder set. One called 'Extra 1', and a second called 'Movie 1'. I'm only adding 'Movie 1'. Is this reasonable?

• Options have a checkmark in
    General
    (Include this profile in the Format Selector)

Video File Conversion
    (Always convert to preferred video format(default)

Any other ideas?

Mcihael

The menu isn't displayed whether "Rendering Using" setting is on "Software", or "Hardware". I checked the folder sets on both the DVD, and the folder set output from MyDVD. For what it's worth - I ran the video's from both places, and the one created by MyDvd displayed the menu, and the one on the dvd (created by Disc Copier), didn't have the menu. Is there something in Disc Copier that needs to be set? Or is there something I'm doing/not doing that causes an issue?

The following is what I'm doing in Disc Copier"

• When I click on "Add Movies" there are two entries in the folder set. One called 'Extra 1', and a second called 'Movie 1'. I'm only adding 'Movie 1'. Is this reasonable?

• Options have a checkmark in
    General
    (Include this profile in the Format Selector)

Video File Conversion
    (Always convert to preferred video format(default)

Any other ideas?

Mcihael

Let me see if I understand what you did.

You built a project in MyDVD and then "burned" it to a Video Folder Set rather than a disc or image (.iso) file, correct?

If that's the case, then it sounds to me (from your lasted - quoted post) that you are using the Video Compilation part of Disc Copier and only selecting the movie. That would be the wrong way to do it to get the whole production on to a disc. You should be useing the CD & DVD Copy function (other button in disc copier) and selecting the DVD Video Folder as your Source.

I just noticed it was set to use software rendering - I set back to hardware, and saw the full list of transitions. Now, I wonder if the last test I ran was done correctly - e.g, to see if the menu is included when using hardware rendering.

Michael

Run the graphics test again to see if it stays set to Hardware. Leave it at hardware, and make a small production of 15-20 slides, with transitions between the slides. Save the production, close VideoWave, open MyDVD, and bring in that production.

Make sure that you are still in Hardware mode, make a menu, and burn to an .iso file or Folder set. Burn it to a DVD, and see if you still have a menu. If you do, I am going to uninstall my EMC 9 and EMC 7.5, reinstall EMC 9 and see if I have better luck with retaining transitions and menus when I burn, using Hardware rendering.

As I have previously stated, it sure isn't a problem with my video card not meeting the requirements. :)

Archived