• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

What's the frequency Kenneth?

Drive stops burning, keeps spinning

Question

Today I've made two coasters of the most infuriating kind. Somewhere in the process, Toast stops reporting progress and the drive continues spinning perpetually.

The first time was on a Pioneer DVR-109 in my Dual G5, burning a Mac & Windows data DVD. It kept spinning when it was supposed to be "Writing Lead Out." Nothing ever happened for hours (I went to dinner just to see if anything would happen.)

Currently, I'm waiting for a burn to finish on a Pioneer DVR-108A in a USB enclosure on my Dual G5, burning a Video DVD from a .TOAST image that Toast created a few days ago from VOB files I dragged to the program--the image worked just fine. Toast has said it has 00:09 left to burn for about a half hour now.

In between, I successfully burned a data DVD in the USB drive. I may have burned a few discs successfully with 7.1.2, on the internal drive, but hadn't tried many. I suppose I'll have to go back to 7.1, and deal with ITS bugs, as at least it wasn't making COASTERS!

The most irritating thing is the only way to get the disc to stop spinning is to shut down the machine (not just restart it) and start it all over again. I'd suspect the drive, but it happened on BOTH drives I have connected. It's obviously yet another new bug. It seems they're being manufactured faster than they're being squished.

Update: I should have indicated this is OS X v10.4.8.

Edited by What's the frequency Kenneth?

Today I've made two coasters of the most infuriating kind. Somewhere in the process, Toast stops reporting progress and the drive continues spinning perpetually.

The first time was on a Pioneer DVR-109 in my Dual G5, burning a Mac & Windows data DVD. It kept spinning when it was supposed to be "Writing Lead Out." Nothing ever happened for hours (I went to dinner just to see if anything would happen.)

Currently, I'm waiting for a burn to finish on a Pioneer DVR-108A in a USB enclosure on my Dual G5, burning a Video DVD from a .TOAST image that Toast created a few days ago from VOB files I dragged to the program--the image worked just fine. Toast has said it has 00:09 left to burn for about a half hour now.

In between, I successfully burned a data DVD in the USB drive. I may have burned a few discs successfully with 7.1.2, on the internal drive, but hadn't tried many. I suppose I'll have to go back to 7.1, and deal with ITS bugs, as at least it wasn't making COASTERS!

The most irritating thing is the only way to get the disc to stop spinning is to shut down the machine (not just restart it) and start it all over again. I'd suspect the drive, but it happened on BOTH drives I have connected. It's obviously yet another new bug. It seems they're being manufactured faster than they're being squished.

Update: I should have indicated this is OS X v10.4.8.

Don't bother going back to an earlier version of Toast 7.x. They all do this. I have lost track of whether 5 and 6 had this problem. :)

Toast pretty much sucks the way that it handles media problems. I have had an ongoing problem with this for longer than I can (or care to) remember. I have to restart my Mac to get Toast and the drive to let go of the disc. (In fact, I am waiting for a recording to finish now so that I can restart my Mac to get the bad disc out of the drive.) If you come up with a better solution please post it!

Roxio has never responded with any sort of answer to me or a fix for the problem. Not even when I complained to management about the bad customer support...not even responding.

Not only that, but Toast DOES NOT save the "cache" of the multiplexed file as claimed, which means that if you are burning a video disc that has to be multiplexed it has to be done all over again (slow).

I wish the folks who make Nero would get into the Mac business. I would kiss Toast and Roxio good bye in a heartbeat.

Cheers,

Richard

Some people say I give them hell. I never gave them hell, I just tell the

truth and they think it's hell. Harry S. Truman

The reason that it happens in each version of toast is that it isnt a Toast issue. I would check for firmware updates for your recorder and experiment with different brands of media.

Jon,

That can't be your best answer, Can it ? Look at my post from another topic above with the same issues. I have a Updated Firm Ware, updated toast, updated OS x , New computer, Brand new drive, and still can't burn a +R DL disc with toast. From what little info I gather, it appears that Toast is having a issue with Pioneer drives. I have been running around for days trying and buying 2 different burners and now 3 different types of media. As far as media is concerned I have now tried 3. Two of which are considered the best brands AND NONE of them worked. We need your help, more than finger pointing with the advice of try different media, which I know isn't a fix! For the record , I have tried , mainly verbatim, ( the one's I mainly use, Memorex and Fuji's.

we need your help.....

John,

I have to disagree with your position. Please state facts in support of your proposition.

When the described problem occurrs I have to force quit out of Toast (usually with Activity Monitor) to get it to shut down at all. Even then I am not at all certain that it actually is shut down (even though I have looked around in Activity Monitor for a Toast relater helper application or whatever without success. On these occasions Toast has failed to abort the burn and disengage the drive. The media error is not uncommmonly a bad sector, but is unspecified more often than not.

On those occasions when Toast does successfully abort the burn the cache files that Toast is supposed to maintain disappear...I have watched them do this. The result is that the file must be multiplexed all over again. This is most assuradely a Toast issue.

The fact that Toast does successfully abort the burn and allow the media to be ejected while Toast is open demonstrates to me that Toast can "behave properly" some of the time. Precisely how Toast goes about disengaging from the drive is unknown to me, but should be known to some of the Roxio personnel. I do not know whether Toast actually "writes" anything when it says that it is writing a leadout, but it appears that Toast is unsuccessful at accomplishing this task when the problem occurrs.

In my experience the problem has occurred with single and dual layer media. I have used predominantly -R single layer media and have used both - and + R dual layer media.

Saving the file as a .toast (not a real disc image) file is not the solution as that takes longer to do than should be required if Toast functioned properly in the first place. Also, Toast improperly handles the naming of the file when saved as a .toast/"disc" image. It comes out as a slightly differen name when burned to media than the source file name.

Like the original poster, the firmware on my DVD burner has been updated and my OS has been as well. Uninstalling and reinstalling Toast has made no difference in its behavior.

Richard

The reason that it happens in each version of toast is that it isnt a Toast issue. I would check for firmware updates for your recorder and experiment with different brands of media.

That's a fairly silly response, since I specifically indicated the problem seemed new with 7.1.2, but I may have experienced it ONCE before.

ADDENDUM: Not just that, but I also indicated it happened with two separate drives. BTW, the media is Verbatim, which hasn't seemed to give me any issues before updating to 7.1.2.

Now that I've said THAT, I'd have to say it's pretty well unacceptable for software to run perpetually without noticing something is wrong.

That's a fairly silly response, since I specifically indicated the problem seemed new with 7.1.2, but I may have experienced it ONCE before.

ADDENDUM: Not just that, but I also indicated it happened with two separate drives. BTW, the media is Verbatim, which hasn't seemed to give me any issues before updating to 7.1.2.

Now that I've said THAT, I'd have to say it's pretty well unacceptable for software to run perpetually without noticing something is wrong.

This is a very uncommon problem and so it is just guessing as to what may be the cause. Why doesn't a drive complete the burn on the disc? It makes sense that once it has stalled this way that the only way out is to force quit and shut down. What doesn't make sense is that it is happening in the first place. Trying a different brand of media is the first test. Getting a laser-cleaning disc is an inexpensive trouble-shooting test. Creating a new user and installing Toast in that user account to test burning may give some clues. I always have an installation of OS X on another drive so I can check if problems are related to the OS. I've fixed problems in the past using DiskWarrior and by downloading and installing Apple's combined system update on top of my existing incremental OS update.

These are just guesses. Your help in describing the trouble-shooting steps you've taken may give a clue as to what else might work to resolve this perplexing problem.

Edited by tsantee

This is a very uncommon problem and so it is just guessing as to what may be the cause. Why doesn't a drive complete the burn on the disc? It makes sense that once it has stalled this way that the only way out is to force quit and shut down. What doesn't make sense is that it is happening in the first place. Trying a different brand of media is the first test. Getting a laser-cleaning disc is an inexpensive trouble-shooting test. Creating a new user and installing Toast in that user account to test burning may give some clues. I always have an installation of OS X on another drive so I can check if problems are related to the OS. I've fixed problems in the past using DiskWarrior and by downloading and installing Apple's combined system update on top of my existing incremental OS update.

These are just guesses. Your help in describing the trouble-shooting steps you've taken may give a clue as to what else might work to resolve this perplexing problem.

I repeat: TWO SEPARATE DRIVES that have exhibited no such problems before. Funny coincidence. Not likely

ADDENDUM: Nevertheless, thanks for the suggestions that didn't imply must be the drive.

As for troubleshooting, maybe it could have been a load-handling issue? I burned the same DVDs later after other video processes were complete (it has never been an issue before.)

UnCommon????...right now toast will not work on any of my 4 MACS at home. 3 are intel based and one G4! how can this be "uncommon"??//You ,(ROXIO), need to fix this and fix this fast AND admitt that toast has a major issues that it has to fix and quite blaming everybody and everything else.......fix this quick....does anybody use dvd2one and like it?

John,

You have been called out.

By this time most people have concluded that when it came to "put up or shut up" you chose to shut up!

If you are a Roxio employee, you are plainly part of the problem, not a part of the solution.

As I write this Toast has yet again screwed up.

If you are a Roxio employee, or any other Roxio employee monitoring the forums, please elevate this matter to the head of the technical support and/or development department.

Richard

UnCommon????...right now toast will not work on any of my 4 MACS at home. 3 are intel based and one G4! how can this be "uncommon"??//You ,(ROXIO), need to fix this and fix this fast AND admitt that toast has a major issues that it has to fix and quite blaming everybody and everything else.......fix this quick....does anybody use dvd2one and like it?

I use it all the time and love it. I use it for things you can't talk about here. Toast does do more than what DVD2oneX does.

Edited by lakewoodlawnman

If you have an Apple super drive, you will have problems. All Apple firmware have speeds and features disabled and do not detect media correctly. They are also very picky about the kind of media, especially if you have a Matsushita version.

A Pioneer 108 will have a hard time burning much of the new media, especially if you haven't updated the firmware. Apple doesn't supply firmware updates for media, so you need to get special firmware that will flash the drive. This is true for any drive. Firmwares are released for a reason.

I burn DVD all the time of every kind and never have an issue. When using DVD+R DL, only use Verbatim.

Never use Memorex, that is just asking for problems. Fuji is OK, but you are better off with Taiyo Yuden if you really want good media that works.

When using a drive in a USB or Firewire box, most of these issues are with the bridge. It could also need a firmware update, or may not be completely compatible on the Mac. Buying cheap drives from an electronics store is mostly just junk.

I have to agree with John, this is more of a drive and media issue than anything.

Sorry folks, I dont know how I lost track of this thread. But freshburn knows what he is talking about. I have access to many model drives and many types of media. Experience alone tells me that this isnt a Toast problem, but I coudln't prove it unless you sat down with me and watched me burn various discs in the various drives. You could prove it to yourself though, by testing with a burner that isnt a superdrive (they are a bit buggy).

You could prove it to yourself though, by testing with a burner that isnt a superdrive (they are a bit buggy).

That may be so John, but up to to the time that I updated from v7x to 7.1.1 and 7.1.2, I had 100% success rate with burning DVDs of MPEG stream videos. On my superdrive equipped Intel MacBook Pro by the way.

Since the Updates I haven't achieved a DVD burn yet, and I've been trying all workrounds for the last 3 days.

I have also been using the same burner and media stock that I had the previous success with, so your argument about them being buggy doesn't wash with me. It all points to the software. If it worked before with that kit, then it should now. And yes, I was using Verbatim DVD media with a Matshita burner with a firewire drive containing the files.

I'll take 'freshburns" points on that set up to test.

In my case, trying to burn MPEG Transport stream files, I will acknowledge that there is an issue, that Toast have pointed out in their update history, but I thought I read that it was supposed to have been fixed with the 7.1.2 update...........? Not here though, and I was burning them prior to the updates.

I can only guess that previous users of Toast have been impressed with its efficiency. I have been for some years, but it doesn't take long for the confidence in a product to go Poof, when it doesn't work.

FYI I've been using EyeTV to record what I want to burn. Elgato promote Toast and use the Toast app in their burn interface.

My comunications with their Support section reveal that "A future version of Toast should resolve this issue."

Is this something that you are privvy to?

Cyclic

If you have an Apple super drive, you will have problems. All Apple firmware have speeds and features disabled and do not detect media correctly. They are also very picky about the kind of media, especially if you have a Matsushita version.

A Pioneer 108 will have a hard time burning much of the new media, especially if you haven't updated the firmware. Apple doesn't supply firmware updates for media, so you need to get special firmware that will flash the drive. This is true for any drive. Firmwares are released for a reason.

I burn DVD all the time of every kind and never have an issue. When using DVD+R DL, only use Verbatim.

Never use Memorex, that is just asking for problems. Fuji is OK, but you are better off with Taiyo Yuden if you really want good media that works.

When using a drive in a USB or Firewire box, most of these issues are with the bridge. It could also need a firmware update, or may not be completely compatible on the Mac. Buying cheap drives from an electronics store is mostly just junk.

I have to agree with John, this is more of a drive and media issue than anything.

freshburn,

Thank you for joining the discussion.

May I ask what drive you have been using? If there is a drive that Toast likes better than the Pioneer drives I certainly will be getting one.

I have used (retail) Pioneer DVRs from either the 104 or 105 through the 109 and was intending to update to a 111 for myself after having installed one for a family member. I have updated the firmware on these drives on a regular basis.

My experience mirrors yours with respect to Memorex media. I have not had good results with it. I have been purchasing Verbatim for the most part for some time now although I still have a supply of TDK, Fuji and Memorex as well which I try to use up when I am not in a bind for time as it is subject to several failure modes apparently relating to the media. In all, my library of burned DVDs is about 950 and a fair number of CDs as I backup all my CDs to use a copy in the CD player in my car's trunk (which can reach temperatures in excess of 150 degrees in the summer time where I live. I do not know if this places me in the category of a heavy user or not, but I do think that my experience has been sufficient to see a number of problems, including those described with Toast.

Among other ways that Toast will malfunction, JohnatRoxio's unsubstantiated claims notwithstanding, is that it will simply freeze at some point during a burn. It will not abort the burn and will not complete it. The only way I have found to get out of this situation is to force quit Toast and restart the Mac as the drive continues to spin and will not eject the media. This has occurred on several different drives which leads me to believe that it is not a matter of one particular drive being defective, although I am keeping an open mind on the matter.

At various times I have been through complete re-installations of Toast and have run the combo updater again as tsantee has suggested. I maintain my system with periodic DiskWarrior runs as well as automated cron maintenance, permissions repairs and so on.

It is not merely the matter of the failure of the burn that is a matter of concern, but the manner in which Toast malfunctions either in handling these occurrences or its malfunctions which may be the cause of some of the problems. Additionally, Toast simply does not perform as has been stated that it is supposed to with regard to the cache files created when multiplexing a file.

I would appreciate any other observations or suggestions you might make.

Richard

Edit for typo.

Edited by richard_briscoe

First off , I love it when a group of people complain/look for an answer, about a major issue and people without adding anything beneficial or to even help, proclaim 'well my toast works". Like again it must be this small idiot sub-group who just like to complain. Great for you! I am happy yours work. We are not here to slam Roxio or it's employee's or anyone else for that matter. I and other people , I now have learned, just want a product that we used daily or at least often in the past, to work again. I have been using toast for many many years with pretty much success, however since that last update, I have been unable to make a single DL DVD. I have, in the past 3 years alone, burned over 2000 dvd's without a serious issue on any kind on my 4 Intel or Power PC based Macs. I have also used only the top quality of media, ect. For the record, I use TY for single and Verbatim for dual layer. During this issue I have tried 5 different kinds of +R DL discs, all to no avail. This is not an Apple drive issue, ( If it is how come it worked for the last 4 years AND will also not work on external non-Apple drives) ? It is also NOT a Media issue, the same disc's used before also now do not work and I have tried EVERY made +R dual layer media, hoping that this would solve the issue. I also tried popcorn 1 and 2, and have went back to older versions of toast 7 and none of this worked. I have scanned my drives for errors and zapped P Ram ect. and NOTHING has worked. I repeat, ever since the latest update from Roxio for toast 7 this issue has , like a plague, effected every machine in this house! So , until we get Roxio to admit an issue even exists AND as long as their "support" only consists of bashing Apple drives and blaming media this will never get resolved. So I ask again, ROXIO , PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE OR HELP US FIX IT OURSELVES!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Long time Roxio Customer!

I'm using Pioneer drives mostly, but I also have LG, Matsushita, Sony, NEC, etc. I've tried most drives a little.

Media is usually the biggest problem, but if you use good media and update the firmware things should be OK.

I've had times when Toast would hang or freeze also, but it is rare. Some times bad things just happen. The system can have a hiccup, the data doesn't get sent, or data gets removed. When dealing with hardware, sometimes it's hard to have a nice recovery.

As for aborting, it doesn't always work. If the drive is in a state that doesn't support the command, it will just hang. Abort is like jumping in front of a moving train. The train may stop, but.....you kinda have a mess. There are times it will just not work.

Lead-out on a DVD-R with less than 1GB can take up to 15 minutes to write. Thank Pioneer for that. DVD+R are much better for small amounts of data.

Also, when writing a disc that is completely full, you can have problems at the outer edge of the disc. It's best to keep a few hundred MB, just so the edge of the disc doesn't get burned.

I also recommend setting the drive speed after the media is detect and not always using Best. Sometimes a slower burn speed will help.

I'm using Pioneer drives mostly, but I also have LG, Matsushita, Sony, NEC, etc. I've tried most drives a little.

Media is usually the biggest problem, but if you use good media and update the firmware things should be OK.

I've had times when Toast would hang or freeze also, but it is rare. Some times bad things just happen. The system can have a hiccup, the data doesn't get sent, or data gets removed. When dealing with hardware, sometimes it's hard to have a nice recovery.

As for aborting, it doesn't always work. If the drive is in a state that doesn't support the command, it will just hang. Abort is like jumping in front of a moving train. The train may stop, but.....you kinda have a mess. There are times it will just not work.

Lead-out on a DVD-R with less than 1GB can take up to 15 minutes to write. Thank Pioneer for that. DVD+R are much better for small amounts of data.

Also, when writing a disc that is completely full, you can have problems at the outer edge of the disc. It's best to keep a few hundred MB, just so the edge of the disc doesn't get burned.

I also recommend setting the drive speed after the media is detect and not always using Best. Sometimes a slower burn speed will help.

freshburn,

I am ordinarily burning video files from EyeTV to DVD media. These files vary in size, of course, but are normally 3+ GB for SL media and anything from 5 to 7+ GB for DL media.

My Mac is a dual 1.8 GHz Digital Audio with either 1 GB or 1.5 GB RAM (depending upon whether I borrow a DIMM for another machine pending arrival of another one. My boot drive is a Western Digital 500 GB SATA drive. The data drive where I store the EyeTV files is a 2x250 (PATA) RAID 0 array. Both drives have appropriate PCI controllers. There are additional drives, both internal and external for other storage and/or backup. Prior to the current CPU configuration it was a 1.33 GHz single processor machine with other drive arrangements. OS is presently 10.4.8 and Toast is presently 7.1.2. As noted, I have experienced the problems I describe over an extended period of time with a number of different optical drives.

I am unable to understand why Toast freezes/becomes unresponsive (in several different ways) without there being a problem with the application itself or the way that the application interfaces with the operating system and hardware. Toast is unable to even close when in the described state. It must be force quit. I have examined things in Activity monitor and even when I only have 1 GB RAM installed Toast uses comparatively little RAM, usually less than 150 MB. CPU utilization varies depending upon the process involved. I am not sure whether it is accurate to say that Toast is dual processor aware or the OS utilizes the capacity of more than one processor in tasks with Toast, but I have observed Toast utilizing greater than 100% (of a single processor) capacity/cycles. Multiplexing the EyeTV files will utilize a substantial amount of CPU cycles. EyeTV is dual processor aware.

I have requested, for a very long time, through the support on Roxio.com that someone investigate the mechanism by which Toast interacts with the OS and/or optical drive in this process as there is obviously something happening which causes an undesirable result. I have yet to receive a response or indication that anyone at Roxio has done anything at all which I find to be much less than desirable.

Some of these instances may well be initiated by media problems, but Toast, in my experience, has proven unable to deal with a predictable circumstance in an acceptable manner.

Is there anyone at all at Roxio who actually does anything with problems with their products?

Although I thank you for your responses, I am still stuck with an application which is unwieldy. I do not accept that I should have to restart a Mac to clear a problem with an application.

Richard

I have resorted to the forum after experiencing all of the same problems mentioned here. I have been trying to burn a DVD, previously burnt without problems before upgrading to 7.1.2 using the same media. That surely means there is a problem with the upgrade as it all worked fine before?

I have resorted to the forum after experiencing all of the same problems mentioned here. I have been trying to burn a DVD, previously burnt without problems before upgrading to 7.1.2 using the same media. That surely means there is a problem with the upgrade as it all worked fine before?

We haven't been able to solve the others, but maybe we can yours. Please describe what kind of DVD you are trying to burn (data or video) and which settings you used in Toast. Did you try saving as a disc image and then burning the disc image using the Image File setting in the Copy window? What Mac and drive are you using? Do you have any Firewire devices connected other than external hard drives? Any other troubleshooting steps you can share? It would be nice to solve at least one of these.

You can have 7.1.2 and earlier versions of Toast on the hard drive at the same time. Have you tried burning with an earlier version?

freshburn,

I am ordinarily burning video files from EyeTV to DVD media. These files vary in size, of course, but are normally 3+ GB for SL media and anything from 5 to 7+ GB for DL media.

My Mac is a dual 1.8 GHz Digital Audio with either 1 GB or 1.5 GB RAM (depending upon whether I borrow a DIMM for another machine pending arrival of another one. My boot drive is a Western Digital 500 GB SATA drive. The data drive where I store the EyeTV files is a 2x250 (PATA) RAID 0 array. Both drives have appropriate PCI controllers. There are additional drives, both internal and external for other storage and/or backup. Prior to the current CPU configuration it was a 1.33 GHz single processor machine with other drive arrangements. OS is presently 10.4.8 and Toast is presently 7.1.2. As noted, I have experienced the problems I describe over an extended period of time with a number of different optical drives.

I am unable to understand why Toast freezes/becomes unresponsive (in several different ways) without there being a problem with the application itself or the way that the application interfaces with the operating system and hardware. Toast is unable to even close when in the described state. It must be force quit. I have examined things in Activity monitor and even when I only have 1 GB RAM installed Toast uses comparatively little RAM, usually less than 150 MB. CPU utilization varies depending upon the process involved. I am not sure whether it is accurate to say that Toast is dual processor aware or the OS utilizes the capacity of more than one processor in tasks with Toast, but I have observed Toast utilizing greater than 100% (of a single processor) capacity/cycles. Multiplexing the EyeTV files will utilize a substantial amount of CPU cycles. EyeTV is dual processor aware.

I have requested, for a very long time, through the support on Roxio.com that someone investigate the mechanism by which Toast interacts with the OS and/or optical drive in this process as there is obviously something happening which causes an undesirable result. I have yet to receive a response or indication that anyone at Roxio has done anything at all which I find to be much less than desirable.

Some of these instances may well be initiated by media problems, but Toast, in my experience, has proven unable to deal with a predictable circumstance in an acceptable manner.

Is there anyone at all at Roxio who actually does anything with problems with their products?

Although I thank you for your responses, I am still stuck with an application which is unwieldy. I do not accept that I should have to restart a Mac to clear a problem with an application.

Richard

Hi,

I bought a (cheap) BenQ DVD writer some time ago — my MacMini having only the inner Matshita CD Writer. Having never been able to burn a single DVD, I thought the Benq writer was to blame, and changed it once at my shop. Joining this forum slightly brings a doubt in my mind ! I nearly succeeded burning a data DVD but it stopped right in the middle. I have the latest updates for Toast and OS X. To burn a DVD from Video-TS, all stops as soon as I choose BenQ instead of Matshita in the Toast window, getting the multicoloured wheel spinning. I can use any other application on the Mac, only Toast freezes, but I can't quit Toast and must restart the computer to get rid of the mess. Never had an answer from Roxio, just one from BenQ who told me that there might be a conflict between my external DVD writer and my inner Cd writer. I had this problem years ago with an external CD writer ans the inner CD player on a PowerMAc 4400…but then you could unactivate the extension for one of the two, which is impossible on MacOs X. Anyway, after what Iread on this forum, this might not be the reason of my problems. On a french Mac forum, someone told me he had my configuration and no problem.

Jean-Luc

For a test, use the old version to burn a disc and then use 7.1.2 to burn the exact same layout (save it and open it in the new version).