esschoir

Repair re-install says install package is not valid?

Question

Hi all -

Following advice in another section of these forums, I'm trying to do a Repair re-install to fix some freeze/hang issues with MyDVD and Videowave.

The install asked for my EMC 8 CD, I inserted it and pointed to the file it apparently wanted, Roxio Easy Media Creator 8 Suite.msi. But when I opened that file on the disc, the installer thought about it for a few moments, then announced that 'Roxio Easy Media Creator 8 Suite.msi" is not a valid installation package for "Roxio Easy Media Creator 8 Suite'

huh??

Anyone know what gives??

Thanks!

16 answers to this question

Run setup.exe - that should call the .msi file

Wouldn't folks call that a dirty install?

cd

Run setup.exe - that should call the .msi file

The thing is, the dialog box called by the install procedure is specifically looking for an msi file, and won't let me drop down to any other type file.

If I cancel that install and just try to run setup.exe from the CD, it tells me that file is not a valid win32 application.

WTF? Why is doing a simple re-install such a hassle??

That sounds very much as if the drive can't read the disc - check it for thumbprints, scratches and so on (could be dirty)

Again - try copying the disc contents to a temp folder anywhere on the hard drive (copy both discs over) and run it from there

If it won't copy - you have a faulty CD

Edited by gi7omy

Hi all -

Following advice in another section of these forums, I'm trying to do a Repair re-install to fix some freeze/hang issues with MyDVD and Videowave.

The install asked for my EMC 8 CD, I inserted it and pointed to the file it apparently wanted, Roxio Easy Media Creator 8 Suite.msi. But when I opened that file on the disc, the installer thought about it for a few moments, then announced that 'Roxio Easy Media Creator 8 Suite.msi" is not a valid installation package for "Roxio Easy Media Creator 8 Suite'

huh??

Anyone know what gives??

Thanks!

Hi -

Had exactly the same problem before. I was trying to repair a V6_Platinum installation with an old V6_Basic CD. Once I found the right CD, repair would run.

Coyote - the OP hasn't been back for a month so the assumption is their problem is fixed :)

Coyote - the OP hasn't been back for a month so the assumption is their problem is fixed :)

Yeah, typical assumptions, just got to love them, dime a dozen and normally it's a sign that they went where they could get some value-add assistance.

First off, this is an issue you can get for a variety of reasons, namely, pointer or link issues to the registry, registry hive corruption where you may have ran a chkdsk /f to repair/recover or in this case, reverting to a system restore point that could have been a result of some of the above, virus, etc...

Commonly with restore points, it's not an end all, save all, it's just a way to get you back to being able to boot to the desktop so that you can do the repairs needed from a protected environment. Not too many old school people like myself who like real mode troubleshooting. Joys of Windows.

Nonetheless, if you run the Roxio Content disc, then you should not have issues with installing, but disc 1,if you run setup and it ask's you to point to the msi and you do, on the disc and it comes back with any errors, then you should look at deleting the cached mis package in the system installer foler (it's a hidden folder). Then try to re-run setup.

Apologizes to the original poster, it seems that nobody took the time to read your post as you got responses that basically told you NADA!

By the way, just because you have a ba-zillion post and have some guru title, does not mean you are a guru.

And just because you pop in in a defunct thread doesn't mean you know a lot either

There are reasons why there could be problems - we aren't sitting at the OP's computer so we have to try to guess based on the info we receive

The MOST common cause of a failure with the .msi file is a dirty CD - that's a basic fact. A lot of CDs at one stage wound up with some sticky substance on them - we never did find out how it happened but it did, so we always tell people first to check the surface. IF they come back, we go deeper - if they don't, it's a safe bet the fault is cleared.

The OP never came back - so the fault is gone, Quod Erat Demonstrandum

And just because you pop in in a defunct thread doesn't mean you know a lot either

There are reasons why there could be problems - we aren't sitting at the OP's computer so we have to try to guess based on the info we receive

The MOST common cause of a failure with the .msi file is a dirty CD - that's a basic fact. A lot of CDs at one stage wound up with some sticky substance on them - we never did find out how it happened but it did, so we always tell people first to check the surface. IF they come back, we go deeper - if they don't, it's a safe bet the fault is cleared.

The OP never came back - so the fault is gone, Quod Erat Demonstrandum

Just relax old timer, you most likely meant well, but you didn't do anything for the guy.

For anyone else that comes here and reads this garbage post, just go right for the MS solution of a MSI CleanUp Utility. It was original designed for Office applications back when MSI replaced ACME when Office 2000 was released, but that should not matter, just install it, launch it from your Start > Programs menu and locate all the Roxio apps (used CTRL-mouse click) to select all of them and then remove.

Put your Roxi disc 1 in, fire up the setup and hit yes to all prompts. it will say nothing was found so it cannot install, but keep going with Yes to any prompts. Then at the end, the setup should kick in and you should be able to reinstall.

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;290301

Have fun and remember, if people reply with non-technical post, then don't bother with that forum.

I won't be coming back here, too many trolls and not enough tech value.

Don't let the door hit you on the way

You appear out of nowhere, make ONE post to a long dead thread, decide that YOUR answer is the only one and then go

Buh-bye

[ps - we do know about msicuu.exe - and will recommend it WHERE NEEDED

Edited by gi7omy

Just relax old timer, you most likely meant well, but you didn't do anything for the guy.

For anyone else that comes here and reads this garbage post, just go right for the MS solution of a MSI CleanUp Utility. It was original designed for Office applications back when MSI replaced ACME when Office 2000 was released, but that should not matter, just install it, launch it from your Start > Programs menu and locate all the Roxio apps (used CTRL-mouse click) to select all of them and then remove.

Put your Roxi disc 1 in, fire up the setup and hit yes to all prompts. it will say nothing was found so it cannot install, but keep going with Yes to any prompts. Then at the end, the setup should kick in and you should be able to reinstall.

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;290301

Have fun and remember, if people reply with non-technical post, then don't bother with that forum.

I won't be coming back here, too many trolls and not enough tech value.

A full moon sure brings out the craziest hit and run jerks. You obviously haven't read many posts on the forums, or you would have seen the Microsoft Cleanup Utility suggestion, in a multitude of posts.

Wait a minute. I just bet you did. :)

A full moon sure brings out the craziest hit and run jerks. You obviously haven't read many posts on the forums, or you would have seen the Microsoft Cleanup Utility suggestion, in a multitude of posts.

Wait a minute. I just bet you did. :)

I have had to do a Windows XP OS repair and after had problems with some of the products installed with EMC 8.0. I decide to uninstall EMC 8.0 and reinstall. I had problems with the reinstall. I read the comments here and uninstalled Windows Media Player 11, and Internet Explorer 7.0. I tried to reinstall EMC 8.0 and it reaches to about 90% install and I receive an error message stating Roxio Easy Media Creator Suite Installer Infor...

and within that error box a an exclamation in a yellow triangle and next to it it reads Please Insert the disk.

the options are either OK or Cancel. The disk is in the cd being read. The disk is clean and has no scratches. Any suggestions as to a solution. Should I unistall the Windows Installer 3.1? I am reluctant to do so as it reads that it could cause issues with the many updates that were loaded after it had been installed.

Any suggestions? Thank You!

A quick way to check the installation discs is to set up a temporary folder anywhere you like and copy the CD contents into that (actually you can copy both CDs into it with no problems)

Go to that and run setup.exe and that will install.

If you can't copy the files, then there is something wrong with the CD

Windows Installer - normally we'd recommend using the latest one anyway so I can't see that being the problem. One thing you could try is to disable your anti-virus during the install in case that is throwing upa false positive

btw you're lucky this got spotted. It's always best to start a new thread rather than tacking on to the end of an old one

A quick way to check the installation discs is to set up a temporary folder anywhere you like and copy the CD contents into that (actually you can copy both CDs into it with no problems)

Go to that and run setup.exe and that will install.

If you can't copy the files, then there is something wrong with the CD

Windows Installer - normally we'd recommend using the latest one anyway so I can't see that being the problem. One thing you could try is to disable your anti-virus during the install in case that is throwing upa false positive

btw you're lucky this got spotted. It's always best to start a new thread rather than tacking on to the end of an old one

Your right I should have started a new thread. Thanks for catching my questions! Here is what worked for me which I copied from Packrat's Post #1 dated 10 12/06 on thread "Windows installer keeps popping up!":

Installed Windows Installer Clean Up utility, found here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;290301

Be sure to remove all Roxio and Sonic entries.

Manually deleted folders containing the Roxio and Sonic software, including the folders located at Program Files\Common Files\<ROXIO/SONIC> Shared\

I reinstalled and YES IT WORKED!

Last question. I don't ever recall receiving a "Contents CD" in EMC 8.0. I know I never installed it. Can I acquire that info over the net from ROXIO? I also have the Contents CD from EMC 7.5. Is it the same as the COntents CD fromEMC 8.0?

Thanks again!!!

As far as I know the two versiuons of contents are different (long time since I looked at either) but the contents disc was part of EMC8 standard and DeLuxe - I'm wondering if you may have an OEM version which was cut down in some way (hence no contents)

As far as I know the two versiuons of contents are different (long time since I looked at either) but the contents disc was part of EMC8 standard and DeLuxe - I'm wondering if you may have an OEM version which was cut down in some way (hence no contents)

EMC 8.0 was purchased @ Best Buy as a full retail version. I guess I either didn't receive it or misplaced it.

I will try Inside Sales to see if they will assist.

Thank You!!