Sign in to follow this  
mstepka

Toast 7 And Lg Gsa-2166d External Dvd Recorder

Question

Hi;

Is anybody out there who have experience with Toast 7 and external USB LG drive GSA-2166D. I have firmware version 1.0 and didn't find any firmware upgrade on LG site. I have problem burning DVDs. First problem been with DVD-R DL media. After about 50% progress bar stops and drive just spin-up the speed and I need to disconnect it from power. Very similar problem I have with DVD+R RW media when burning DVD video disk during writing lead-out process it spin-up speed and power needs to be disconneceted. But, when I put medium in drive DVD plays so it seems it have just problem to finalize disk.

Another problem is with iMovie HD. When I drag-and-drop movie to Toast 7 it encode just audio. When I mount disk image it plays audio only. When I export whole movie to Quick time it prepare image as expected.

Any help will be appreciated.

Marian

20 answers to this question

I don't recall reading a post before this one where the progress stalls and the drive speeds up. Usually the drive stops spinning when Toast stalls. But I suspect the problem here is the DVD-R DL media. There are only a few drives that support this media. The problem you have apparently happens when the drive wants to start burning the second layer of the disc. I suggest getting Verbatim DVD+R DL media and seeing if that works for you.

As for the DVD+R RW media I suggest just waiting longer for the lead out to get finished writing. The lead out can take a long time to write on RW media especially if the disc isn't full. It is normal for a drive to spin faster as it writes to the outer part of the disc.

I don't know why you are having the problem with iMovie. I assume that when you dragged the iMovie Project file to Toast that no thumbnail image from the video appeared in the Toast window (otherwise Toast would be recognizing the video stream). I don't recall anyone describing this problem with iMovie files and Toast so I'm puzzled about its cause. Is there more information you can provide?

Hi;

Thanks for reply. I need to test other media. In case of iMovie I found answer in Roxio support. Toast 7 cannot handle video chapters correctly from iMovie. When chapters are removed from iDVD menu inside iMovie everything should work. I'll test it and post results.

I case of DVD+RW media I wait about 30 minutes. Disk just spin-up fast and no signs that drive doing something (as flashing led or so) will try different media if it results in same.

You should be using Toast 7.0.2, it resolves the problems with iDVD chapters in iMovie. As for the drive, from what I can find the GSA-2166D has buggy firmware. The 4166 seems to be the same drive (GSA-2166D is USB) and the 1.0.1 firmware is better and will fix media problems. I haven't tried it or the drive though. In most cases, LG drives are not the best and I really don't recommend them.

I upgraded Toast to 7.0.2 and iMovie is working now. Anyway it have problem to finalize DVD+RW from Intenso. I don't have other media yet to test with. Same problem is with DVD-ROM it writes lead-out and speed up the disk and didn't finalize it. I tested with CD-RW and have no problem to close disk. If I try to burnd DVD-RW with disk utility or using burn folder everything works fine with Intenso disks. So it seems there is some incompatibility between Toast and LG drive. Will serach for firmware upgarde but LG didn't publish new firmware for mentioned model yet.

I upgraded Toast to 7.0.2 and iMovie is working now. Anyway it have problem to finalize DVD+RW from Intenso. I don't have other media yet to test with. Same problem is with DVD-ROM it writes lead-out and speed up the disk and didn't finalize it. I tested with CD-RW and have no problem to close disk. If I try to burnd DVD-RW with disk utility or using burn folder everything works fine with Intenso disks. So it seems there is some incompatibility between Toast and LG drive. Will serach for firmware upgarde but LG didn't publish new firmware for mentioned model yet.

I had the same problem when I burn a dvd+rw with my samsung dvd-rom. it writes lead-out and didn't finalize it. I think the reason is the different between the dvd+rw and dvd-rw. The dvd+rw needn't write the lead-out. So, is this a bug of toast?

If it doesn't work, it the drive and media, not Toast.

Not 100% true. I can burn image made by Toast with same drive and media but using OS X build in Disk Utility.

I could care less about Nero. Honestly, it gets worse and worse. They also add in special code to work around firmware bugs. That is a bad practice since the drive database must constantly be updated to workaround drive issues.

Samsung drive are not good. It gets poor reviews for burn media support and burning. The 4166 is the same drive, just the internal version and it doesn't have the problems because the firmware has been fixed.

If you burn DVD+RW with different applications, it can miss up the disc. I do not recommend using DVD+RW with more then one drive or applications. I also wouldn't trust Disc Utility. The disc may seem to write, but it may not being a full lead-out.

I got another type and form of RW media. I burned DVD-RW media without problem but encountered another one. Disc working in LG drive without problems but when I put it inside iBook DVD drive it seems that some files are dfective. For example DVD playback stops with errors. Seems disk isn't written correctly. I'll try to make image using Toast and burn using Disk Utility if problem persists. I will also try to read mediums in different drives and post results here. Seems sitaution is frustrating...

Hi;

I made a cross test. I selected one movie from iMovie with two chapters. Used same medium Intenso DVD-RW and prepare DVD Video disk using two tools Toast 7.0.2 and iDVD and here are results (disk been erased completely after each write):

1. Toast (didn't work) everything went fine disk been written and closed without problem. LG drive mount it and even play it using LG drive with internal Mac OS DVD player without problems but internal DVD drive plays just first chapter and second chapter end with error stating unreadable disk on same position (checked seceral times)

2. iDVD (works) verything went fine as in previous case but now also internal Mac drive play whole disk without errors.

Result? There is incompatibility between Toast and LG drive. Toast probably use some internal mechanisms how to write and isn't capable to write DVD correctly instead of internal Mac tools. This render software unusable with LG drive and I need to roll back to use built in Mac tools or use Toast just for creating images. iDVD and Disk Utility knows write DVD+RW and DVD-RW media correctly using LG drive.

I think this should be fixed only by fimware upgrade and Roxio should check their side for bugs because other software knows how to write media without causing them unreadable (on some drives) on same platform as Toast running.

Cheers

Come on, Toast has been burning DVD for over 7 years now. If you get a -36 error from the DVD Player, it is BAD MEDIA. You must do a full erase on the disc and as I've said before erasing the disc with different software can cause problems DVD+RW have quick erase and quick format. They work differently and I don't know what Apple is using.

The media you are using is question able:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia.php?dvdm...h+or+List+Media

Toast 7 Disc Info will give the MID of the disc.

I suggest trying a brand new disc, only use it in Toast and see if the problem exists. If the disc burns without error and doesn't play because of a -36 error in the DVD player, it's not a Toast problem, it's the media.

Sorry freshburn, but I don't buy it. I've made more coasters with Toast 7 than with all my previous versions put together. Besides, it's raining reports of people throwing away Toasted discs but reporting succes with Finder burns. Can't be a coincidence or always bad media.

I've burned 10-20 discs in the last couple weeks and they have all burned just fine. Not one error. I've done DVD+R DL, DVD+RW, DVD+R and DVD-R. I've tried Sony drives, Pioneer drives, and maybe more.

Most of these drives the Finder doesn't even report as usable. You buy a cheap drive and cheap media, you get coasters. You can say the finder works, but you don't really know if the disc is OK or not. I've had the finder burn a disc, say it was fine and the disc had no data on it. At least Toast gave a verification error doing the same thing.

Toast supports far more drive features then the finder. If the drive has a firmware bug, you are more apt to find it using Toast. If you are using an Apple drive, all you have is crapware. Apple cripples the firmware, the speeds, the supported formats, etc. They release with major drive bugs and never update them because the drive are basically pre-release hardware.

When they test, they only test their apps and the few things that they can do and that is it. If you have an apple drive that is non-pioneer, you are just asking for trouble.

The first thing I did when I got my new Quad was call Apple and told them they sucked for even using an LG drive in a system that expensive. And as always, the LG drive sucks.

If you have a Matsushita or LG drive in your Mac, I really feel sorry, because you will have more coasters then a bar.

I just burned the the same media on the same drive and it worked great. No problems.

Is your drive internal, external and what firmware?

ATA Bus:

_NEC DVD_RW ND-3520AW:

Model: _NEC DVD_RW ND-3520AW

Revision: 3.06

Serial Number:

Detachable Drive: No

Protocol: ATAPI

Unit Number: 0

Socket Type: Internal

Burned another -DL coaster today trying to copy the iLife 06 DVD. Toast 702 read the disc and after changing it for a blank Dual Layer it started burning fine at 4x. But after a minute or so it stopped with a sense key error followed by "failed to write". Another 6 Euros gone. It did indeed write to it as I could see. Why it stopped, I don't know.

I am thinking about saving as disc image first and then burn the image. But then, copying unprotected discs should work straight from the copy window, like it always did...

NEC 3520aw with very expensive Mitsubishi Chemical (Verbatim) DL coasters...

See my later post.

Edited by tsantee

ATA Bus:

_NEC DVD_RW ND-3520AW:

Model: _NEC DVD_RW ND-3520AW

Revision: 3.06

Serial Number:

Detachable Drive: No

Protocol: ATAPI

Unit Number: 0

Socket Type: Internal

Burned another -DL coaster today trying to copy the iLife 06 DVD. Toast 702 read the disc and after changing it for a blank Dual Layer it started burning fine at 4x. But after a minute or so it stopped with a sense key error followed by "failed to write". Another 6 Euros gone. It did indeed write to it as I could see. Why it stopped, I don't know.

I am thinking about saving as disc image first and then burn the image. But then, copying unprotected discs should work straight from the copy window, like it always did...

Now I remember our early discussion. You're using DVD-R DL media and flashed your drive to the 3.06 firmware. I've never tried (nor have seen it in a store for purchase) the DVD-R DL media. Given your experience I'll stick with DVD+R DL and my 3.04 firmware. The 3.06 firmware warned that it isn't for drives in external cases and mine is in a LaCie case.