pcstark30

Supported Cd-rw List Gone

Did anyone memorize the lengthy list of CD-RWs supported by 5 Platinum? Only a DVD list remains. Newegg.com has a $21 Lite-On #SOHR-5239V that should work in my computer. Can I confirm 5P will work with it? Thanks!

Edited by pcstark30

Did anyone memorize the lengthy list of CD-RWs supported by 5 Platinum? Only a DVD list remains. Newegg.com has a $21 Lite-On #SOHR-5239V that should work in my computer. Can I confirm 5P will work with it? Thanks!

Gee, I thought when I went looking for that page yesterday my ISP line had died again. You're right, it seems to be AWOL.

Doing some work with google, I came up with this review:

http://shopper-zdnet.com.com/4014-3207_15-...207_15-31529931

If the drive was released 15Dec05, as stated in this review, then it would not have been included in the most recent (and probably final) ECDC 5 drive-up patch 4Dec04 (over a year earlier).

Good thought, to check BEFORE buying.

However, I'd suggest considering either newer software or an older drive. Older drives can be found at places like eBay, and at places which recycle computer parts - RePC in Seattle being the one that has gotten the most money from me. Newer software is more widely available than older drives.

Lynn

Edited by lynn98109

The LiteOn SOHR-5239S is supported by 5.3.5v

The SOHR-5239V can be supported with a small registry tweak to 535v, if it isn't supported already.

Sorry to take my post back, but Thanks, Lynn, for the effort and suggestions AND (1) Brendon, where can I find the "small registry tweak" that you mentioned that allows Lite-On SOHR-5239V ver to work as S ver does? (2) Does ver V require the DriveUp patch I have Saved BUT Not Installed? (3) So I can Search better next time, how did you learn that S works and that V can with Registry tweak? If the unit comes with an OK App pkg that backs-up data and can copy WAV audio, I'll probably just use that, but who knows the quality of the pkg? So, will appreciate a REPLY if possible. Thanks!

Edited by pcstark30

pcstark30,

Sorry if I highjacked your post. If a moderator wants to move my stuff, that is fine.

brendon t,

I will get back to you - Direct cd is my main concern as I use Total Commander for file management.

reards:captjlddavis

Sorry to take my post back,

(blush) Don't be sorry. We shouldn't have threadjacked it in the first place. Rather than going to the fuss of moving the other user I had hoped you might have finished using it. My apologies. I'll try and fix that now, to avoid confusion.

There's no tweak file, I just guide you through making a registry edit. Here's a brief explanation first:-

Creator uses a lookup table to match a drive with a list of parameters the burning engine receives. The table is stored a file, with extras stored in the registry. While the large version updaters (11-19 MB) update the drivers and support files and lookup tables, the DriveUp patches are installed after the big updaters and update only the lookup tables in the registry, adding entries for new drives.

The final DriveUp (535V) added recognition for the SOHR-5239S. "Recognition" is achieved by matching your drive's ID string with an entry in the lookup table. Luckily the burning parameters for that little family of drives are all identical, so if we edit the entry for the SOHR-5239S we can use it instead for a SOHR-5239V. (I learned this through experimenting with ECDC from the early days of version 3.5 until now)

YOU NEED version 5.3.5.10 with the 535v DriveUp applied. Run the registry editor, REGEDIT.EXE (Regedit32.exe in Win2000).

-Press Ctrl-F (find) and look for "device330" (without the quotes". You should find you're at an entry for an NU DVDRW drive. Press F3 to search again for the next device 330 (there's two of them)..

-This time you should arrive at an entry for the SOHR5239S. It looks like this:

LITE-ON CD-RW SOHR-5239S,LITE-ON,CD-RW SOHR-5239S,MTK5232_LITEON,cdrmmc.drv,172,,9

-doubleclick on the device330 key, and an edit box should open with that entry highlighted in it. Carefully edit the two instances of SOHR-5239S to read SOHR-5239V.

-click on OK to complete the edit, and then exit out of the editor.

That's the tweak. After restarting, to force a re-read of the registry, your 5239V should be happily supported by Creator and Copier. (Direct CD doesn't use this system).

Thanks, Brendon! The instructions worked out just like they're written. No harm done on the Post-sharing and the Capt was nice to insert a remark; I'm glad we both could be helped. One more issue popped up that you may know. The Lite-On CD-RW requires Hard-Drive Access <20 ms. My Seagate ST320143A HD spec says AVE. Seek/Read/Write is 8.9/9.9/10.9 ms BUT there is a HD Spec "Full Stroke Seek Time" w/ Only Read and Write showing as 22 and 24 ms. Does the last Spec gum-up the works for compatibility? Thanks again to all !

Glad things went well. I always check my message before I hit the final button, but it's a juggle between being concise and not giving enough information.

You should be fine as far as time of access goes. That Seagate is a 20GB, 5400 rpm drive I think, but should still give you no problem.

The idea of specifying minimum HD access time is so that your burner doesn't have to wait around for data to arrive from the system That's the minimum specs needed if the Lite-On is to continuously perform to its maximum rated speed.

Now "full stroke seek" is where the head has to travel from the far end of the platter to get data from the other end. It's truly a worst case thing, and the average seek is half that. In a real situation where the HD is mostly tidy the data to be sent to the burner will be stored fairly close together and seek time won't be an issue.

Apart from that, your burner has "Smart Burn" which sets the speed according to conditions, and buffer underrun technology to protect a burn if the buffer momentarily runs dry, and a good sized buffer anyway. Defrag your HD once in a while and everything should be very sweet.