Burning Rewritable Media

bz-suziq

Question

I have heard that there is a way to burn info onto a rewritable DVD or CD without completely wiping the disk each time. In other words I heard there is a way to put data on, and then later put more data on. I was told you do this by not closing a session, but I haven't a clue as to how to do that.

Does anyone know if this can be done with Toast 7 on a Mac? And if so, could you walk through the steps to do this? Many Thanks --- Suzi Q

6 answers to this question

This is called multisession burning and it can only be done to CD-R or CD-RW media. There is no multisession burning to DVD media. Click the Advanced tab of the Recorder Settings window (this window appears when you click the burn button). You'll see where you can select either Write Disc or Write Session. Choose Write Session if you want to leave a CD open for additional burning until full. Each session will appear as an additional icon in the Finder when you insert the burned CD.

Hi tsantee,

Does Toast 7 automatically close the DVD-R/RW after burning, even if there's still available space left on the disc?

Thanks for your time.

Hi tsantee,

Does Toast 7 automatically close the DVD-R/RW after burning, even if there's still available space left on the disc?

Thanks for your time.

Yes, it must do that or the OS wouldn't be able to read the DVD. Toast doesn't burn multisession DVDs because they couldn't be read.

Yes, it must do that or the OS wouldn't be able to read the DVD. Toast doesn't burn multisession DVDs because they couldn't be read.

Hello again tsantee,

What I don't understand is...

If you can Write Session on CD media, then why can't you do the same on DVD media. Is it a feature that just hasn't been implemented into the software, by Roxio?

Thanks again for your time.

This is called multisession burning and it can only be done to CD-R or CD-RW media. There is no multisession burning to DVD media. Click the Advanced tab of the Recorder Settings window (this window appears when you click the burn button). You'll see where you can select either Write Disc or Write Session. Choose Write Session if you want to leave a CD open for additional burning until full. Each session will appear as an additional icon in the Finder when you insert the burned CD.

Thank you very much -- I will give this a try. PS -- Greeting back from sunny Belize.

I have heard that there is a way to burn info onto a rewritable DVD or CD without completely wiping the disk each time. In other words I heard there is a way to put data on, and then later put more data on. I was told you do this by not closing a session, but I haven't a clue as to how to do that.

Does anyone know if this can be done with Toast 7 on a Mac? And if so, could you walk through the steps to do this? Many Thanks --- Suzi Q

Hello again tsantee,

What I don't understand is...

If you can Write Session on CD media, then why can't you do the same on DVD media. Is it a feature that just hasn't been implemented into the software, by Roxio?

Thanks again for your time.

I don't entirely understand it either, but there is no spec for multisession DVDs so the Mac OS is not able to recognize such a disc. Toast will not write an out-of-spec disc (you wouldn't want it to). If the OS could read multi-session DVDs it would likely be a feature in Toast as well. Although I can't offer a technical explanation you just have to accept that this is not possible.

Having said that, I believe the backup application Retrospect can do incremental writing to a DVD. However, the Mac OS can't read Restrospect-burned discs either. Instead, you need to launch Retrospect and have it access the data on one of its discs. In other words, Retrospect writes to its own disc format which is different from the formats supported by the Mac OS.

Archived