• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

conflict with Norton (?)

hickory

Question

I recently upgraded from Norton 2005 to Norton Internet Security 2006. I am on a Dell Dimension 4700 with Windows XP, Home edition.

Now, when I boot up, Windows issues an error message "Runtime error -- abnormal termination" for RoxWatchTray.exe. This occurs for every boot. Also, on a very random basis (2 or 3 times in a row or once every several times), I get the "blue screen of death" with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. It suggests disabling BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing -- it seems to me not very wise for a non-techie to mess around in the the BIOS. Sometimes when this happens, I can't even shut down the computer manually -- I have to unplug it.

In addition, I have Roxio Media Creator 8. It will start up but when I try to do anything, it fails with a blank task button in the status bar. I have to reboot to get rid of it.

Is this a conflict with Norton 2006? Any suggestions or help will be sincerely appreciated.

Charlie

6 answers to this question

Hello,

Although I have higher versions of your software (Roxio/Norton), I received the error regarding RoxWatchTray.exe. For me, it was after uninstalling Norton password manager. I quickly received the "unable to load skins" when I tried to use Roxio Media Creator 8 (after removing Password Manager). I claim that Norton products conflict with Roxio/Sonic apps (or vice versa?), you just don't know about it until you want to upgrade, install, or remove one of them :-) Norton can you hear me?

Your BSOD may just be a casualty here...Not enough info to speculate why you get BSOD's

This worked for me: I have Norton Internet Security 2007, Norton Ghost 10, MyDVD premiere 8, Cineplayer, Record Now, BackupMyPC, and DVDIT Pro. What worked for me is rather medevil, so I recommend having a friend who is trustworthy enough to mess with registry entries, and who knows where installed folders are usually located

Have a valid backup/restore of your PC! My Ghost recovery point actually worked and is the one

thing I (still) like about Norton...

1)Have CDs or install EXE's, including product keys available - a must!

2) UnInstall every Norton product (Look for the Norton removal tool), restart offline and see if your PC still works "fine"

3) UnInstall all Sonic or Roxio products, restart offline and see if your PC still works "fine"

4) Run registry or other cleaner utilities to remove unwanted "stuff", delete folders on your

C:\ drives related to what you uninstalled

5) restart and check your PC (Modem off!)

6) I started with re-installing Norton, activating, registering,... Then I re-Installed my

Roxio/Sonic applications

"For me", my apps are functioning now...

I know my solution is/was advanced for you, but since I never received a response from norton, I am hoping

you or others may find this info useful

Regards

-- Tony

The only time I ever had a problem was when running EMC7 and NAV2006.

I was prompted by Norton one day to run a cleanup tool and reinstall. IMHO, it broke EMC7 in the process because after years of using it, it had never let me down in the slightest. Then, all hell broke loose for me.

It was only after finding help in this forum on how to do a GOOD uninstall, reinstall and on and on that I recovered.

I ran well after that and am now using EMC8. Waiting for everyone to get a little more time on version 9 so that if I mess up, they'll be able to bail me out. :)

The only time I ever had a problem was when running EMC7 and NAV2006.

I was prompted by Norton one day to run a cleanup tool and reinstall. IMHO, it broke EMC7 in the process because after years of using it, it had never let me down in the slightest. Then, all hell broke loose for me.

It was only after finding help in this forum on how to do a GOOD uninstall, reinstall and on and on that I recovered.

I ran well after that and am now using EMC8. Waiting for everyone to get a little more time on version 9 so that if I mess up, they'll be able to bail me out. :)

We're ready for ya! Jump in. It's painless and reading lots of your posts, you'll have no trouble with it.

Archived