Analog video capture problem

The Seif

Question

When I select my capture device (ATI 9800 Pro all-in-wonder video card) in the drop down under "video" on the main capture screen, after a short delay I get an error message sayiing that"operation build on capture manager failed". When I click "OK" on that box the capture preview window opens but everything is grayed out, so I can't do anything. I can capture using "Windows movie maker" so I know the connections and the software for the video card capture features are okay. But you can only save in the .wmv format in "movie maker" which is compressed and not real good for DVD video, so I'd really like to get this working in EMC 8. Any help out there ?

4 answers to this question

For whatever reasons, not all cards work well with EMC8 and, EMC9 seems to be working better with more of them. I suggest you use the software that came with your card for best capturing results. But, make sure you have all the latest drivers which do make a difference.

I think I do have the latest drivers and software from ATI. The AIW cards are a bit confusing when it comes to all of the software to make them work properly. You need the standard video drivers which I think includes the WMD capture driver, why, I don't know, because you can't capture analog video with a standard video card, only output, it must do something else. Then you have to install several other items of software to get the other features of the card working, I.E. TV tuner, remote, etc., and they have to be installed in a certain order. Don't know why they make it so hard. This is only if you are trying to use the updates from their site, if you use the CD that came with the card it does it automatically for you, but then you have old drivers and such. I'm thinking that I may have a problem with the ATI software because I also have Nero 7 (sorry Roxio, :) and with it I can start to capture but a couple of seconds into it the program switches the input back to the TV tuner (seems to be the default input in both programs) and I'm using an S-video hookup from the camcorder. When I try to open the TV tuner feature of the ATI software I get an error telling me to check the drivers, now I don't have a cable hooked to the card (don't need to watch TV on my PC) but I think the player should still open up.

As far as I know the ATI software doesn't have a capture feature with it, unless it's part of one of the several players that come with it. I'll check. I may just uninstall all of the ATI

stuff and install the CD that came with the card and then just update the basic video drivers and leave the rest of it alone, what a pain. Thing is, all of this stuff was working when I used EMC 7 last year. Then a few months ago I reformated the PC and decided to buy ECM 8 instead of reinstalling 7 and this is the first time I've tried to use the video capture stuff. I did uninstall and reinstall EMC 8 but it does the same thing. Then tried installing EMC 7 thinking if it worked before it should work again, but when I did that Windows lost all of my optical drives , couldn't get that fixed so I had to do a restore, go figure. I hate PC's. :huh:

When I select my capture device (ATI 9800 Pro all-in-wonder video card) in the drop down under "video" on the main capture screen, after a short delay I get an error message sayiing that"operation build on capture manager failed". When I click "OK" on that box the capture preview window opens but everything is grayed out, so I can't do anything. I can capture using "Windows movie maker" so I know the connections and the software for the video card capture features are okay. But you can only save in the .wmv format in "movie maker" which is compressed and not real good for DVD video, so I'd really like to get this working in EMC 8. Any help out there ?

For whatever reasons, not all cards work well with EMC8 and, EMC9 seems to be working better with more of them. I suggest you use the software that came with your card for best capturing results. But, make sure you have all the latest drivers which do make a difference.

I think I do have the latest drivers and software from ATI. The AIW cards are a bit confusing when it comes to all of the software to make them work properly. You need the standard video drivers which I think includes the WMD capture driver, why, I don't know, because you can't capture analog video with a standard video card, only output, it must do something else. Then you have to install several other items of software to get the other features of the card working, I.E. TV tuner, remote, etc., and they have to be installed in a certain order. Don't know why they make it so hard. This is only if you are trying to use the updates from their site, if you use the CD that came with the card it does it automatically for you, but then you have old drivers and such. I'm thinking that I may have a problem with the ATI software because I also have Nero 7 (sorry Roxio, :) and with it I can start to capture but a couple of seconds into it the program switches the input back to the TV tuner (seems to be the default input in both programs) and I'm using an S-video hookup from the camcorder. When I try to open the TV tuner feature of the ATI software I get an error telling me to check the drivers, now I don't have a cable hooked to the card (don't need to watch TV on my PC) but I think the player should still open up.

As far as I know the ATI software doesn't have a capture feature with it, unless it's part of one of the several players that come with it. I'll check. I may just uninstall all of the ATI

stuff and install the CD that came with the card and then just update the basic video drivers and leave the rest of it alone, what a pain. Thing is, all of this stuff was working when I used EMC 7 last year. Then a few months ago I reformated the PC and decided to buy ECM 8 instead of reinstalling 7 and this is the first time I've tried to use the video capture stuff. I did uninstall and reinstall EMC 8 but it does the same thing. Then tried installing EMC 7 thinking if it worked before it should work again, but when I did that Windows lost all of my optical drives , couldn't get that fixed so I had to do a restore, go figure. I hate PC's. :huh:

Okay, I got it working in both programs. It was the ATI software, I uninstalled all of the ATI stuff (had to get into the registry, I hate that :D ) and installed it from the CD which came with the AIW video card. Of course now I have 2 year old software but hey, it works, and since I don't use this PC for gamiing anymore (built a new one for that) it really doesn't matter. As long as everything works there is no need to even update the drivers. I had assumed that since the Windows "Movie Maker" worked that the Video card capture software was okay, but I was wrong again. :D I guess the programs don't all work the same when it comes to capturing video. I really wanted to get the AIW working rather than getting a PCI capture card (tried a USB, too many dropped frames) reasoning that an 8X AGC slot should be faster.

Thanks for the help. Maybe this thread will help someone else.

Archived