• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Greyed Out Menu Items

sinecure99

Question

I guess I am dense but I thought I bought a complete EMC8 when I downloaded it but in My DVD 8 a lot of the menu options are greyed out and not operable compared to what the Help tells you to do. For example: formatting text - one place it suggest right clicking it for a comprehensive formatting choice (only get delete and go to the movie) or in another Help it says highlight it and go to the top menu for View>Setting (but it is greyed out). Another is 'Add new unlinked button' - greyed out. And so it goes. Would someone please explain what I am missing here. Thanks

17 answers to this question

Interestingly, I got an email from Sonic yesterday (must have that 'offers' option turned on somewhere), promoting (for a discount) MyDVD8 as a standalone and also noting it was included in EMC8. It shows a MyDVD 8 'Essentials' or a 'Premier' edition. The premier being a bit more. Maybe what we are seeing in EMC8 is the "Essentials" version, and the "Premier" will have those turned on. It doesn't say in the ad which one is actually included in EMC8, just that MyDVD is included. I don't see anything on the Products page yet, and the links are only for purchasing. Not too many details or a link to 'learn more'. Just some feature highlights. Be interesting to see what develops.

Well I for one am completely irritated that I paid for this version. There were several features -- including the play all feature that are sorely missing on this version. Having purchased two new copies and spent hours talking with tech support and recreating dvds started in version 7, I'm seeing a new vendor in my future unless upgrades are offered soon and reasonably.

Now that they have actually released different versions, I'm sure there will be only more confusion. Instead of creating apps that simply do not have the options, the 'unavailable' options are just greyed out. Kinda strange, but that's the way it is. I saw a post in another thread where Patrick posted the difference between the two.

I am having the same gred out problems. When I bought MYDVD 8 I was under the impression that I was buying the latest and greatest. This really is a customer scam. My old sonic dvd played one movie button after the other this version you need a play all button which as you all know doesn't work. What scam artists.

They need to add a cheap upgrade and soon. Can't trust anybody these days.

You are not missing anything. It is working and complete as designed. For whatever reason, Sonic/Roxio made the decision to include options (greyed out) that are not available in this version. At the top of each HELP file page is a disclaimer to such. Perhaps there would have been less questions if the options had been left out completely. Even though there are few features missing that were in version 7, EMC8 still has added features not in V7 like widescreen support. Most of the 'missing' features are things that I never or hardly ever used so not a big deal to me.

Ok, then I'm more confused than before...

Does this mean that version 8 doesn't include these features and they are in some other version?

Is there another version available, ie. V.8 Premiere or Deluxe, etc.?

Or, this version was released before engineering could finish implementing all of the features?

I am having the same gred out problems. When I bought MYDVD 8 I was under the impression that I was buying the latest and greatest. This really is a customer scam. My old sonic dvd played one movie button after the other this version you need a play all button which as you all know doesn't work. What scam artists.

As you know, there are two different versions of MyDVD 8 if you bought it on-line which one did you buy and when? There is a 30 refund ploicy; contact sales. Unfortunately this does not hold for the boxed version.

There is a good and simple work around for the play all button. Search for it.

You are not missing anything. It is working and complete as designed. For whatever reason, Sonic/Roxio made the decision to include options (greyed out) that are not available in this version. At the top of each HELP file page is a disclaimer to such. Perhaps there would have been less questions if the options had been left out completely. Even though there are few features missing that were in version 7, EMC8 still has added features not in V7 like widescreen support. Most of the 'missing' features are things that I never or hardly ever used so not a big deal to me.

I would think those grayed out buttons would have some purpose down the road. Maybe a future release will enable those options.

Interestingly, I got an email from Sonic yesterday (must have that 'offers' option turned on somewhere), promoting (for a discount) MyDVD8 as a standalone and also noting it was included in EMC8. It shows a MyDVD 8 'Essentials' or a 'Premier' edition. The premier being a bit more. Maybe what we are seeing in EMC8 is the "Essentials" version, and the "Premier" will have those turned on. It doesn't say in the ad which one is actually included in EMC8, just that MyDVD is included. I don't see anything on the Products page yet, and the links are only for purchasing. Not too many details or a link to 'learn more'. Just some feature highlights. Be interesting to see what develops.

On the email I recieved back in December there was no distinction except that there were two files to download. It was all called "East Media Creator Suite -NA-ESD" in the confirming email that charged $93.19 Canadian as a 'special deal'. the downloads wee 453.2 and 219.2 megs respectivley. If there is a premeier version where was it and where is it? I still feel cheated.

Archived