Verbatim Datalife DVD-R and compatability

kirkifer

Question

I am beginning to think that I have about 47 blank coasters that are stamped Verbatim Datalife DVD-R. These are a couple of years old and I think they are like 2x speed (the fastest speed MyDVD will allow a burn on these discs). They do not seem to work in most stand alone DVD players. I thought DVD-Rs were supposed to be the most resilient format, but these things are terribly incompatable.

So, do I throw them out or is there something that can be done to save them? I have seen some internet discussions about various manufacturers and the quality of the discs they produce. Some have indicated that the manufacturer and firmware version of the burner has more to compatability than anything else.

Does anyone know about these particular discs? Could something have happened to the spindle to mess them up? Is my Lite-On 411S burner the issue? Could MyDVD not like the Datalife DVDs?

By the way, I switched to Sony DVD+Rs and they are incredibly compatable with everything I have....

7 answers to this question

Yup, I realize that.

Yes, sleep is desparately needed... Working till 03:00 Saturday morning

The good news is that the updated firmware for the burner has made changed those discs into something all of my DVD stand alones can read.

The funny thing is that it still takes longer for the stand alones to recognize these discs versus the Sony discs.

How do you do a disc quality check ????

I am beginning to think that I have about 47 blank coasters that are stamped Verbatim Datalife DVD-R. These are a couple of years old and I think they are like 2x speed (the fastest speed MyDVD will allow a burn on these discs). They do not seem to work in most stand alone DVD players. I thought DVD-Rs were supposed to be the most resilient format, but these things are terribly incompatable.

So, do I throw them out or is there something that can be done to save them? I have seen some internet discussions about various manufacturers and the quality of the discs they produce. Some have indicated that the manufacturer and firmware version of the burner has more to compatability than anything else.

Does anyone know about these particular discs? Could something have happened to the spindle to mess them up? Is my Lite-On 411S burner the issue? Could MyDVD not like the Datalife DVDs?

By the way, I switched to Sony DVD+Rs and they are incredibly compatable with everything I have....

You need to get some sleep. :)

You need to get some sleep.

Psychic ?

Actually I burned quite a few of these disc's.

This disc recorded May 3, 2003.

The disc quality check I just did was 97%.

The disc plays in any settop I own.

CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info

Basic Information

Disc type: : DVD-R

Book Type : DVD-R

Manufacturer: : Verbatim

MID : MCC 00RG200

Write speeds: : 2.4 X

Blank Capacity : 4.38 GB

: 4489 MB

: 4707319808 bytes

Extended Information

Layers : 1

Usage : General

Copyright protection : n/a

Recorder information : recorded with SONY SONY DRU-500A

Disc Status : Closed

Raw Data

Pre-recorded Information in Lead-in (0Eh)

.MCC.00..RG200..

cd

Archived