accolady

Closed To Read On Any Cdrom - Cd Now Blank!?

eGreetings,

I am having problems.

Windows XP Home Edition

Drag and Drop from Windows Explorer CD-R made with Roxio Easy CD Creator 5. Data and Images on CD-R.

I closed the UDF CD-R to read on any CD ROM player. Now it says that there is nothing on the CD! It won't read at all....blank.

I tried recovering using ISO Buster but it just recovers some strange files that I cannot open. And it took 5 hours just to get the non usable files!

Is there anything I can do to recover this disk?

Thank you for your assistance.

Severely Frustrated,

Jeri

Read the "FREQUENT ANSWERS" post at the top of the main ECDC 5 forum.............then scroll down the rest of the page(s) and read some of the posts's with the subject "Direct CD" in it.

eGreetings,

I am having problems.

Windows XP Home Edition

Drag and Drop from Windows Explorer CD-R made with Roxio Easy CD Creator 5. Data and Images on CD-R.

I closed the UDF CD-R to read on any CD ROM player. Now it says that there is nothing on the CD! It won't read at all....blank.

I tried recovering using ISO Buster but it just recovers some strange files that I cannot open. And it took 5 hours just to get the non usable files!

Is there anything I can do to recover this disk?

Thank you for your assistance.

Severely Frustrated,

Jeri

Can you read it on the computer where you created the disc? If so, it may be possible to copy it off to a new CD-R using a Sessions-based program.

If you want to KEEP the data, NEVER format the disc. You are now learning why not. If neither ISOBuster nor CDRoller can find anything, it's probably gone, altho you say you have CD-R, rather than CD-RW (CD-RW will fade out on its own sooner or later, but if formatted for Packet-Writing, usually sooner).

For future reference, use CD-R, and a sessions-based program like DataProject, or (EMC 7, 7.5 and 8) Classic Creator, or the built-in WinXP writing program.

Lynn

Jeri,

Has ISOBuster recovered the files all with the same extension (e.g. *.REC or something like that?) If it hasn't been able to read the table of contents it may have had to recover files blind without knowing their names.

Try renaming the file extension to whatever matches the files you had on there (e.g. *.JPG if they're photos) and see if you can then open one. You may have all your files only the proper names are missing.

Hi Brendon,

Thank you so much for your reply.

I needed a walkthrough to Use ISOBuster. I just wasn't able to figure it all out so I emailed for Tech. Support. They were not able to provide a tutorial.

So, I emailed CDRoller Tech. Support. And Paul is helping me. What a very nice person.

The files won't have their original names But I might be able to save some of the data.

I am pretty angry with Roxio. Because they should have put a note under the option to Close to Read on any CD ROM. ***Doing this you risk losing ALL of the Data on your CD***

I will post the tutorial for CDRoller when all is said and done. Maybe it will help someone else.

Best to you,

Jeri

Jeri,

Has ISOBuster recovered the files all with the same extension (e.g. *.REC or something like that?) If it hasn't been able to read the table of contents it may have had to recover files blind without knowing their names.

Try renaming the file extension to whatever matches the files you had on there (e.g. *.JPG if they're photos) and see if you can then open one. You may have all your files only the proper names are missing.

Hi Jeri,

That's excellent to hear that CDRoller support are helping you. Between that and ISObuster, I prefer CDRoller. Thank you if you can post the tutorial. that will be very helpful I'd think.

A number of us who have used the early packet-writing technology (Direct CD and the equivalent competitors' programs - InCD, DLA, they all have one) think it's very easy to lose all your files at any stage of using a packet-writing program. I said it so often it's now quoted around here, "Never trust your only copy of a valuable file to a packet-writing program or a re-writeable disc." IMHO there would have to be such notes under every menu in that program.

It's a personal choice, but for reliability, safety, and interchangeability I think you should use CD Creator to write standard CDROMS on unformatted CD-R discs.

Hi Jeri,

That's excellent to hear that CDRoller support are helping you. Between that and ISObuster, I prefer CDRoller. Thank you if you can post the tutorial. that will be very helpful I'd think.

A number of us who have used the early packet-writing technology (Direct CD and the equivalent competitors' programs - InCD, DLA, they all have one) think it's very easy to lose all your files at any stage of using a packet-writing program. I said it so often it's now quoted around here, "Never trust your only copy of a valuable file to a packet-writing program or a re-writeable disc." IMHO there would have to be such notes under every menu in that program.

It's a personal choice, but for reliability, safety, and interchangeability I think you should use CD Creator to write standard CDROMS on unformatted CD-R discs.

I call it "Basic False Analogy" - you format the floppy before you use it, therefore you format the CD before you use it. I assumed CD-RW, which makes it worse. Therefore, I lost the 80% of the data that was not also on the Hard Disc when the CD-RW did what CD-RWs do - fade to blank. (CD-RW is good for testing, because it can be erased and reused, but not for backup.)

Lynn