noelange

What Happened To Dvd Compression In 805 Update

Question

In version 8 dvd copy, it would compress a non secure 7.8 mg disk to a 4mg disk by using compression; now after installing the patch it will not do it. Does anyone know why Roxio did away with such a valuable tool which is also available in one of its competitors software ?

noelange

9 answers to this question

Mine version of Roxio 8.05 compresses the file to fit. Did you select fit to dvd??

In version 8 dvd copy, it would compress a non secure 7.8 mg disk to a 4mg disk by using compression; now after installing the patch it will not do it. Does anyone know why Roxio did away with such a valuable tool which is also available in one of its competitors software ?

noelange

It still works the same way in 8.05. I've sometimes have problems and get a message that tells me to put in a DL disc since there's not enough space. When this happens to me, my Plextor is trying to burn at it's ''Power Burn' so I choose the same speed but not the 'Power' setting and then I have no trouble. Don't know why this happens and it only happens occassionally. So, trying a slower speed may help.

I have heard suggestions that a reboot helps also.

Mine version of Roxio 8.05 compresses the file to fit. Did you select fit to dvd??

Where is that setting ? I am using a Hp 740i

noelange

File, then, project settings (check box) in My DVD Express

Edited by jmcoleman01

I do appreciate that I will give it a try.

noelange

I've been checking this thread as well as othjers (different people, different apporaches...) "Fit-to-DVD" IS checked, but MYDVD (I can't use MyDVD express; it doesn't have the options I need to build my meus, etc...) WILL NOT let me compress to fit a DVD. I've tried choosing a slower burn speed for my dvd drives; no help whatsoever.

To see if it may be something in the edit/render/burn a new project process, I pulled in one of the projects that worked just fine under EMC7(.5). Same thing. EMC8 WILL NOT let me fir to dvd from MYDVD, and if I create an iso file and try the dvd copy (video compilation, I believe) it splits everytghing out and destroys the menu structure I worked to build.

I am getting increasingly frustrated at EMC8 and stuff it did before and will NOT do, now.

I've been checking this thread as well as othjers (different people, different apporaches...) "Fit-to-DVD" IS checked, but MYDVD (I can't use MyDVD express; it doesn't have the options I need to build my meus, etc...) WILL NOT let me compress to fit a DVD. I've tried choosing a slower burn speed for my dvd drives; no help whatsoever.

To see if it may be something in the edit/render/burn a new project process, I pulled in one of the projects that worked just fine under EMC7(.5). Same thing. EMC8 WILL NOT let me fir to dvd from MYDVD, and if I create an iso file and try the dvd copy (video compilation, I believe) it splits everytghing out and destroys the menu structure I worked to build.

I am getting increasingly frustrated at EMC8 and stuff it did before and will NOT do, now.

Fit to disc does seem to be causing problems and not working like it did in v7/7.5, so going the route of creating the iso file is the suggestion workaround for now. When you bring the iso into Disc Copier, do not use the Video Compilation mode to compress & burn. Use the CD & DVD Copy mode. That will keep all of your menus and movies intact.

Fit to disc does seem to be causing problems and not working like it did in v7/7.5, so going the route of creating the iso file is the suggestion workaround for now. When you bring the iso into Disc Copier, do not use the Video Compilation mode to compress & burn. Use the CD & DVD Copy mode. That will keep all of your menus and movies intact.

Hmm. That may have been it, Larry. Thank you, and I'll give that a shot. (I have since discovered, too, what others have encountered. I was *finally* able to to create a TS_VIDEO - I still don't know what that ROXIOPLASMA folder is... - and got it to burn with DVD COPY (I believe for that I DID use Video Compilation mode) with no errors. It looks great on my multi-DVD changer, and on my *really* cheap dvd player, but the DVD/VCR player/recorder refuses to play it. But the DVD I burned it to was a DVD+R - which is supposed to work in the dvd player - but apparently the format is wrong for it, though. My other menued dvd's were DVD-R...<sigh> :)

Hmm. That may have been it, Larry. Thank you, and I'll give that a shot. (I have since discovered, too, what others have encountered. I was *finally* able to to create a TS_VIDEO - I still don't know what that ROXIOPLASMA folder is... - and got it to burn with DVD COPY (I believe for that I DID use Video Compilation mode) with no errors. It looks great on my multi-DVD changer, and on my *really* cheap dvd player, but the DVD/VCR player/recorder refuses to play it. But the DVD I burned it to was a DVD+R - which is supposed to work in the dvd player - but apparently the format is wrong for it, though. My other menued dvd's were DVD-R...<sigh> :)

I'm glad to hear you've made progress. I don;t recall why there is the ROXIOPLASMA folder either, it's been too long since that was brought up on the old forum. If you look at a commercial disc, you'll see a VIDEO_TS and an AUDIO_TS folder. The VIDEO_TS one is the impotant one tho, as that contains the video production.

Another thing to keep in mind, is that it's not just the format type of the disc (+ or -), but also the brand that can make a difference. Sometimes even a batch within some brands, since different actual manufacturers are used. So it could be that that one combo player just doesn't like the brand of disc, not necessarilty the format.

Good lick with your future projects also.