• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Audio out of sync

barryware

Question

I have read through the forums and yesterday ended up on the website using the help feature in myDvd.

I am building a project and all through out the project everything is in sync (video & audio). At the end when I burn to the hard drive (make folder list) to later compress and put on a dvd, the audio is REAL out of sync when playing through a DVD player that supports playing a DVD from the hard drive.

Previewing the project shows no signs of being out of sync so it is happening when creating the DVD files.

I am using MPG files that were converted from dvr-ms. I am not usng the raw dvr-ms files. Each mpg file plays with no problems as does the project preview.

I have been through my computer to make sure it is optimized and installed the hotfix for the dvr-ms files. I have plenty of computer for this.

Each mpg file has been trimmed & edited within MyDvd.

I am at a loss. I have spent hours trying to figure this out. Any suggestions?

I am running Windows MMC 2005 with the SP3 roll up

Thanks in advance

12 answers to this question

I have read through the forums and yesterday ended up on the website using the help feature in myDvd.

I am building a project and all through out the project everything is in sync (video & audio). At the end when I burn to the hard drive (make folder list) to later compress and put on a dvd, the audio is REAL out of sync when playing through a DVD player that supports playing a DVD from the hard drive.

Previewing the project shows no signs of being out of sync so it is happening when creating the DVD files.

I am using MPG files that were converted from dvr-ms. I am not usng the raw dvr-ms files. Each mpg file plays with no problems as does the project preview.

I have been through my computer to make sure it is optimized and installed the hotfix for the dvr-ms files. I have plenty of computer for this.

Thanks in advance

Just want to add my voice to this issue as I have exactly same issue. Went thru all logical steps including downloading and installing Hotfix but still out of synch. Are there any other fixes or workarounds? Tks George

I buy computers for certain tasks. In 2000, I bought a Gateway and put VideoWave 4 on it to make my first digital movie. I upgraded to VideoWave 5 and just to be sure I wasn't dragging garbage, I completely reloaded the Gateway from the ground up with only Video Wave 5 on it.

Then I thought I'd go bigger. Last year, I bought a Sony Vaio 3Ghz with a 1GB of Ram and three 320GB hard drives. I brought it home, formatted every hard drive to get rid of the junk from the factory, and loaded MCE 2005 fresh with all the updates. Then I loaded Video Wave 7 ... and only Video Wave 7.

The audio on edited projects never sync'd up. When I import a file, the software "transcodes" the file to an "editable" format ( mpeg ) and saves it to an .mpg file which always works fine. But once I take that file and trim, cut, paste, or edit in any way ... the audio is off by about 8 seconds.

I decided maybe I was being cheap and bought the full suite of Media Creator 8 ( about a week before MC9 came out ). I reformatted the Sony again, loaded a fresh MCE 2005 Setup, with all updates, and Media Creator 8 ... and only Media Creator 8. Same story with the audio.

I keep getting e-mails that MC9 is the way to go, but I'm actually back to using Video Wave 5 on my old Gateway if I need to edit .mpg files or home videos.

I have since loaded some of the Sony Software that came with my machine to get files onto DVD, etc. I like some of the "non-video" features of Media Creator 8 and I occaisionally check here now and then to see if there has been any magic bullet released to fix the audio thing. Nothing from Roxio admitting to the problem, so I'm not upgrading again.

Adobe Premier 2.0 certainly does the trick ( for $850 ) but you ought to download the free trial first at (Link deleted) before you cough up the dough. They also have Adobe Premier Elements 3.0 which is available at your local retail store, is adequate as an editor, and much cheaper ( currently $119 at Staples.com after a $30 rebate ). Still, I like the Video Wave interface better ( probably since that's what I learned on ) so I check here now and then to see if the problem has been fixed. Unfortunely, I just find the problem has been ignored, let alone addressed.

I may be some comfort to know you aren't alone ... until you realize Roxio took your money and doesn't admit the problem exists.

I buy computers for certain tasks. In 2000, I bought a Gateway and put VideoWave 4 on it to make my first digital movie. I upgraded to VideoWave 5 and just to be sure I wasn't dragging garbage, I completely reloaded the Gateway from the ground up with only Video Wave 5 on it.

Then I thought I'd go bigger. Last year, I bought a Sony Vaio 3Ghz with a 1GB of Ram and three 320GB hard drives. I brought it home, formatted every hard drive to get rid of the junk from the factory, and loaded MCE 2005 fresh with all the updates. Then I loaded Video Wave 7 ... and only Video Wave 7.

The audio on edited projects never sync'd up. When I import a file, the software "transcodes" the file to an "editable" format ( mpeg ) and saves it to an .mpg file which always works fine. But once I take that file and trim, cut, paste, or edit in any way ... the audio is off by about 8 seconds.

I decided maybe I was being cheap and bought the full suite of Media Creator 8 ( about a week before MC9 came out ). I reformatted the Sony again, loaded a fresh MCE 2005 Setup, with all updates, and Media Creator 8 ... and only Media Creator 8. Same story with the audio.

I keep getting e-mails that MC9 is the way to go, but I'm actually back to using Video Wave 5 on my old Gateway if I need to edit .mpg files or home videos.

I have since loaded some of the Sony Software that came with my machine to get files onto DVD, etc. I like some of the "non-video" features of Media Creator 8 and I occaisionally check here now and then to see if there has been any magic bullet released to fix the audio thing. Nothing from Roxio admitting to the problem, so I'm not upgrading again.

Adobe Premier 2.0 certainly does the trick ( for $850 ) but you ought to download the free trial first at (link deleted) before you cough up the dough. They also have Adobe Premier Elements 3.0 which is available at your local retail store, is adequate as an editor, and much cheaper ( currently $119 at Staples.com after a $30 rebate ). Still, I like the Video Wave interface better ( probably since that's what I learned on ) so I check here now and then to see if the problem has been fixed. Unfortunely, I just find the problem has been ignored, let alone addressed.

I may be some comfort to know you aren't alone ... until you realize Roxio took your money and doesn't admit the problem exists.

Hi Scott,

These boards are supported by Sonic/Roxio for users to try to help other users solve issues. I don't see your post doing anything but trying to sell a different product. Do you wok for Adobe or are you a shill for them? If you don't have anything positive to add, please don't bother to post. You can go to Adobe's or Sony's web sites and praise their product as much as you want.

I don't remember that Roxio ever said that the problem doesn't exist. As proof, did you see the pinned post at the top of one of the boards regarding TiVo files? Actually it exists in all consumer programs of this kind. Another company had such a problem with their new release about a year ago that no one could run the program without sync issues. I have run four other products and have had sync issues with all of them to a varying degree. Not many people who frequent these forums would consider buying a $850 product to do home videos. In fact I doubt that there are many that would buy something like DVDit to create menus and burn DVDs.

As you know there are a lot of reasons for video/audio sync - everything from dropped frames during capture (one Google result; there are many more) to trying to have too many programs running while during encoding. True there are no true fixes probably because this is a hardware related issue rather than software. Remember that your video card must match perfectly with your sound card to do the processing on the fly related to a time line.

There are lots of easy work arounds. You can chose to capture in 15 to 20 minute sections, capture as AVI, capture with a device such as the DVC 90 USB device that captures both audio and video (bypassing your internal capture device and separate sound card), burning to an iso file or to a folder, burning to a disc at a slower speed, and making sure that nothing else is running while you are doing any video work. Again almost as many solutions as there are video and sounds cards/chips and capture devices.

As you know there are a lot of reasons for video/audio sync - everything from dropped frames during capture (one Google result; there are many more) to trying to have too many programs running while during encoding. True there are no true fixes probably because this is a hardware related issue rather than software. Remember that your video card must match perfectly with your sound card to do the processing on the fly related to a time line.

There are lots of easy work arounds. You can chose to capture in 15 to 20 minute sections, capture as AVI, capture with a device such as the DVC 90 USB device that captures both audio and video (bypassing your internal capture device and separate sound card), burning to an iso file or to a folder, burning to a disc at a slower speed, and making sure that nothing else is running while you are doing any video work. Again almost as many solutions as there are video and sounds cards/chips and capture devices.

I dont generally respond when a well thought out and correct response has already been posted (see the above post).

Just want to add my voice to this issue as I have exactly same issue. Went thru all logical steps including downloading and installing Hotfix but still out of synch. Are there any other fixes or workarounds? Tks George

Don't know if I'm even in the right forum or not, but...I bought a new HP a few days ago with the pre-installed MyDVD. I have saved my digital video clips to file and can add them fine to the program. The audio works until I go to add transitions between clips and then the audio starts jerking/stuttering. I've checked all the "help" titles within the program...tried the "ask Roxanne" thing and still can't find the answer to what the problem is. Is the software unable to do anything but basic features? If I just add the files to the project and burn them they are fine, but this makes for a poor movie. Any help would be appreciated as I am not a computer guru! :)

Actually it exists in all consumer programs of this kind. Another company had such a problem with their new release about a year ago that no one could run the program without sync issues. I have run four other products and have had sync issues with all of them to a varying degree.

Not so sure I agree with you. I was off over the holidays so that gave me all kinds of time to experiment. I even purchased EMC 9. I'm still having problems even on two different computers both of which exceed the minimum requirements by a bunch for EMC 8 & EMC 9.

I have a post in the EMC 9 forum asking for help with that version.

Wanting to complete my project, I downloaded a competitive software trial which will remain nameless in this post. It is indeed a bit more complicated but only took a couple of hours to find my way around. The finished project is flawless. I am not talking creatively, I am talking technically producing a finished, working project.

I'm not posting this to bash Roxio. I have been somewhat of a Roxio user for a few years now and I own all the EMC versions 5 and up and as of late, I purchased EMC 9. All have had a few problems. Some easy to work around, others not. My earlier versions (7 and prior) were used mostly for CD creation. Both audio and data. The video portion(s) I never used prior to version 7. That is about the time I got a new camcorder that no longer used full sized VHS tapes :)

But for someone to say: "Actually it exists in all consumer programs of this kind.", that is nonsense.

But for someone to say: "Actually it exists in all consumer programs of this kind.", that is nonsense.
Perhaps that should read 'COULD exist in all consumer programs." At one time, I owned 10 diffferent video editor packages. I haven't read through this entire thread and I assume it is mostly about video/audio sync issues. Just read through ANY other software vender's forum. MOST OF THEM DO have this problem with some users. I don't think the problem can be pinpointed. I think it boils down to certain hardware/software combinations. What works on one machine, may not work on another. There is no explanation.

I'm still having problems even on two different computers both of which exceed the minimum requirements by a bunch for EMC 8 & EMC 9.
There is only ONE component that EMC9 seems to be unforgiving with - the video card. The requirements state a card that supports DirectX 9. NOT a card that is 'compatible'. There are tons of posts in this forum stating they have XXXX card which turns out to be something designed for DirectX 6,, 7 or 8. They may have DirectX 9 'compatible' drivers, but they do not support DirectX 9. Videowave/MyDVD has be written with Direct X 9 commands and APIs. You don't need a $500 gaming card, but a newer card is needed. Unfortunately, this eliminates most laptops and cheaper computers with integrated video chipsets. Some of these may work in software render mode, but there are still some that simply will not work at all.

Perhaps that should read 'COULD exist in all consumer programs." At one time, I owned 10 diffferent video editor packages. I haven't read through this entire thread and I assume it is mostly about video/audio sync issues. Just read through ANY other software vender's forum. MOST OF THEM DO have this problem with some users. I don't think the problem can be pinpointed. I think it boils down to certain hardware/software combinations. What works on one machine, may not work on another. There is no explanation.

There is only ONE component that EMC9 seems to be unforgiving with - the video card. The requirements state a card that supports DirectX 9. NOT a card that is 'compatible'. There are tons of posts in this forum stating they have XXXX card which turns out to be something designed for DirectX 6,, 7 or 8. They may have DirectX 9 'compatible' drivers, but they do not support DirectX 9. Videowave/MyDVD has be written with Direct X 9 commands and APIs. You don't need a $500 gaming card, but a newer card is needed. Unfortunately, this eliminates most laptops and cheaper computers with integrated video chipsets. Some of these may work in software render mode, but there are still some that simply will not work at all.

Well.. Howdy, we have run into each other in the EMC 9 forum. Both cards in both machines do support direct x 9. Lets pretend for a moment that one or the other didn't. Would it still pass the graphics test with the hardware acceleration enabled? However... Right now we are in the EMC 8 forum. Does EMC 8 require DX 9?

One other thing... Below is right off the MSR Roxio's FAQ for EMC9

Display settings: 1024 X 768, 16-bit color graphics card; 24-bit or 32-bit true color recommended

Microsoft DirectX 9 or higher compatible sound and graphics cards

CD-ROM compatible drive<

Microsoft Windows Media Player 10 or higher for Windows XP and Windows Vista; Windows Media Player 9 or higher for Windows 2000

Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or higher

I'm not trying to be a wise guy but what is the difference between "supports" and "compatible"? Wouldn't compatible mean that it supports it?

I ran the direct x diagnostic program. I believe it is called dxdiag.exe. My hardware in both machines passed with flying colors.

What next?

Thanks in advance

Did you try this?

Sorry, rereading your post I saw that you did the hotfix. :)

Hi barryware,

Apparently I need to watch myself a little closer. Let me revise my previous posting.

1. I am a current and long-time loyal user of Video Wave software. I prefer it to any other package out there, a few of which I have purchased and tried. Unfortunately, with versions 7 and 8 I have experienced the same problem you described, and have retreated back to Version 5.

2. I am not an employee of any company nor am I shilling any particular product, but I offer you advice on what has "gotten me by" while I anxiously await a resolution to an apparent problem with Video Wave's newer versions.

3. There are mutiltudes of possible variables that could be causing the problem. I have been willing to spend hundreds of dollars with Roxio ( which include the purchase of a DVC 90 USB ) as well as thousands of dollars on "un-named" harware which should be capable of handling the work load of video editing.

4. I have setup said hardware to be sure that as many possible software complications and environment variables were eliminated. The problem is still there in my copies of versions 7 and 8.

5. In their defense, Media Creator has been flawless in it's ability to capture video and burning data to discs. The utilities and tools bless my life everyday in ways I should appreciate more than I apparently do.

6. However, if I want sound to come out of the speakers when someone's mouth moves on the video screen ... I too have been frustrated like you, and again any advice I offered was to get you by.

7. I may have over-stepped my bounds by including #6 as it has agitated some. Apparently I have nothing constructive to add other than to say, "I feel your pain and it may possibly, in some cases, but not all, have something to do with a remote chance that perhaps the software might be slightly flawed in a minor way."

8. I add my name to yours on the list of those hoping for a solution, but until then, "Long Live Roxio's Media Creator the most almost perfect software on the planet!"

9. I promise this will be my last post, though if I may, I would like to check in now and then to see if there has been a fix for the software I have purchased ... if that's okay ... please.

Hear Hear! -- Very well authored response/explanation. Again I will add my voice because I am assuming that our friends at Roxio/Sonic are monitoring these boards and therefore are aware of our situation. The lack of input from them on this subject is frustrating. I expect better.

Hear Hear! -- Very well authored response/explanation. Again I will add my voice because I am assuming that our friends at Roxio/Sonic are monitoring these boards and therefore are aware of our situation. The lack of input from them on this subject is frustrating. I expect better.

Ditto!

Hi barryware,

Apparently I need to watch myself a little closer. Let me revise my previous posting.

1. I am a current and long-time loyal user of Video Wave software. I prefer it to any other package out there, a few of which I have purchased and tried. Unfortunately, with versions 7 and 8 I have experienced the same problem you described, and have retreated back to Version 5.

2. I am not an employee of any company nor am I shilling any particular product, but I offer you advice on what has "gotten me by" while I anxiously await a resolution to an apparent problem with Video Wave's newer versions.

3. There are mutiltudes of possible variables that could be causing the problem. I have been willing to spend hundreds of dollars with Roxio ( which include the purchase of a DVC 90 USB ) as well as thousands of dollars on "un-named" harware which should be capable of handling the work load of video editing.

4. I have setup said hardware to be sure that as many possible software complications and environment variables were eliminated. The problem is still there in my copies of versions 7 and 8.

5. In their defense, Media Creator has been flawless in it's ability to capture video and burning data to discs. The utilities and tools bless my life everyday in ways I should appreciate more than I apparently do.

6. However, if I want sound to come out of the speakers when someone's mouth moves on the video screen ... I too have been frustrated like you, and again any advice I offered was to get you by.

7. I may have over-stepped my bounds by including #6 as it has agitated some. Apparently I have nothing constructive to add other than to say, "I feel your pain and it may possibly, in some cases, but not all, have something to do with a remote chance that perhaps the software might be slightly flawed in a minor way."

8. I add my name to yours on the list of those hoping for a solution, but until then, "Long Live Roxio's Media Creator the most almost perfect software on the planet!"

9. I promise this will be my last post, though if I may, I would like to check in now and then to see if there has been a fix for the software I have purchased ... if that's okay ... please.

Archived