• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Won't run/crashes - Want return of store bought Roxio 9

Dickey46

Question

I just purchased Creator 9.0.088. It is crashing on my new Dell Duo Core 2 (Desktop 9200) with 1 gig, decent video card and Win Home SP2 machine. It crashes when I open an mpeg video (.mpg) and try to edit it in the production editor timeline view. It is also slow as molassis and has made it so that my machine no longer boot correctly without going to F2 or F8 first, then loading XP Home.

I then tried it on my older computer that I'm replacing - 1.5 yrs old Dell Dimension 3000 with Intel 82865G and Win Xp Pro SP2 1.8ghz with 1 gig of memory. When trying to make a DVD, it claims it doesn't have a good enough video card but I'm pretty sure the Intel video card has at least 256m memory. It claims "video card diagnosis failed". This is unfortunate as I don't think Frys will take this return and Roxio/Sonic will only return software purchased from them. It will burn a DVD from ISO but the sound was pretty messed up and the menu didn't work at all.

I suspect I can't get the software to work - is it possible to get a refund thru either strongarming the store or through Roxio?

14 answers to this question

I just purchased Creator 9.0.088. It is crashing on my new Dell Duo Core 2 (Desktop 9200) with 1 gig, decent video card and Win Home SP2 machine. It crashes when I open an mpeg video (.mpg) and try to edit it in the production editor timeline view. It is also slow as molassis and has made it so that my machine no longer boot correctly without going to F2 or F8 first, then loading XP Home.

I then tried it on my older computer that I'm replacing - 1.5 yrs old Dell Dimension 3000 with Intel 82865G and Win Xp Pro SP2 1.8ghz with 1 gig of memory. When trying to make a DVD, it claims it doesn't have a good enough video card but I'm pretty sure the Intel video card has at least 256m memory. It claims "video card diagnosis failed". This is unfortunate as I don't think Frys will take this return and Roxio/Sonic will only return software purchased from them. It will burn a DVD from ISO but the sound was pretty messed up and the menu didn't work at all.

I suspect I can't get the software to work - is it possible to get a refund thru either strongarming the store or through Roxio?

If you can get VideoWave or MyDVD to open, do so then go to the top menu > tools,> options, and put a dot next to software. Close the window and try adding a short video or just some images. Does it still crash?

Also clear out the proxy files (same place). when you installed the program, was your anti-virus or anti-malware programs running?

Had similar problem with my HP desktop computer... 1 gb ram, AMD 3200, etc. several months ago. EMC 9 would start loading, then give me save "Video configuration failure" msg. EMC 7 runs fine. So I uninstalled EMC 9 and went back to 7. Though now have new problem, DVD bldg won't run after installing IE7. Known conflict but Roxio/Sonic won't fix problem. So classic catch 22...EMC 9 won't run, EMC 7 will partally run, or have to revert to IE6. What a crock

ALso bought my EMC 9 at Fry's. Returned to them saying software was defective in that it wouldn't run on a name brand computer system. After some persistance, Fry's agreed to give me a store credit and took back the sofware. At least I can "recycle" my money at Fry's on something else.

Unfortunately 'name brand' computers seem to be the big bogies. The problem is they are built down to a price and in a lot of cases the graphics is onboard - quite often the Intel chipset which can NOT support Direct3D which is essential for most of the Roxio suites, more so in v9.

Although you may have 1 GB of RAM - that doesn't mean that you have a good quality graphics system

(snip)

went back to 7. Though now have new problem, DVD bldg won't run after installing IE7. Known conflict but Roxio/Sonic won't fix problem. So classic catch 22...EMC 9 won't run, EMC 7 will partally run, or have to revert to IE6. What a crock.

Yup, I agree that it is a crock. You should give Microsoft a call and ask them why, since their IE 7 is known to kill many many applications out there, they don't fix them.

Let's see. EMC 7 was released almost 3 years ago, and worked just fine. IE 7 came out a month or so ago and it broke EMC 7. You are mad a Roxio/Sonic. :):huh::D:D:D:D Something doesn't connect with your line of thought. :D

If it crashes when importing mpegs, it might be that you did not activate yet. Also, your Dell likely came with pre-installed software that may conflict with EMC.

Finally, this is a user forum and any questions of refunds will have to be sent to customer service.

I think the problem lies with the onboard graphics.

Although you state it has '256 MB of memory' a check on the Dell 3000 shows this:

Intel Extreme 2 Integrated Graphics with 64MB Shared Memory

and also (and worse from your viewpoint)

Cons

* No AGP/PCI-E Expansion Slot

* Lacks FireWire Ports

http://compreviews.about.com/od/budgetdesk...lDimens3000.htm

so you can't even upgrade it with a decent graphics card

post-2743-1167074699.jpg

Since this is your first post, doesn't seem like you've done much to even figure out the prpoblem. You can't assume thta everything will run fine on your computer just because it's new. For some reason, we see alot of problems here with Dells and as Paul pointed out, most likely a conflict with preinstalled apps on the Dell.

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it. I upgraded the directx to the newest in December 06 on both machines. I activated on both machines - when it didn't work on one, I tried on another. The box does not state any graphic card requirements other than it runs directx9.

It looks like this software doesn't work on my 9200 per another thread. The lady got her money back from Costco but I'm afraid I got mine from Frys (should have bought online, they give you a 30 day money back guarantee and are 50% off).

I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck getting a refund from Frys when it is obvious it won't run. BTW, Creator 6 ran wonderfully on both.

You still haven't posted your problem. You just state that it "doesn't work". That could mean anything. YET you were able to activate and register the product. You still haven't told us much about your machine other than the model number. Which video card option did you order? When you installed EMC9, did the install prompt you to uninstalled anything like other Sonic or Roxio products that came WITH the Dell? Did you let it? Just because the computer is 'new', doesn't mean that everything is updated. Did you do all of the Window's updates?

As to the use on an older system, add in a PCI video card.

DIAMOND X1300PCI256SB Radeon X1300 256MB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814103016

$110

Regarding the 9200, make sure that the Dell-installed Sonic software is/was removed !! Then clear the startup and services in MSCONFIG to free up all available RAM and disable the AV after the reboot. Un/re-install EMC 9.0 and see if the problems persists. If not, enable one application per reboot and test accordingly to find which app is causing the problem.

Although you may have installed DirectX 9 it's possible that it's been a partial install, especially with the Intel chipset - that does NOT support Direct3D (which is essential for EMC)

Go to start, run and type in dxdiag to check - you should get a screen like this after testing Direct3D

post-2743-1167142145.jpg

I tested with dxdiag and it passed all the tests fine. I checked the software vs hardware and it crashed either way. I removed all DVD software (including Dell's) and reinstalled. I even removed IE7 (hate it anyways as I run firefox). I also cleared the proxy files.

Most things run but the video editing (specifically dragging down the video in the timeline) crashes it.

Archived