• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Version 7 - Retail Boxed/No AC3...

Mike_mn

Question

I've seen posts about people not being able to get audio in their video when editing in VW - AC3 not supported.

And, I've seen posts that the basic version does NOT support AC3, and that the Retail boxed version of 7 & 7.5 DOES support AC3. The EMC 7 help also lists that the basic version does not support AC3 in the 'Basic Edition Features'.

My issue, that Roxio has not been able to resolve, is that my version of EMC 7 will not play audio when I import (open) a video file that contains AC3 audio into VW.

My EMC 7 is a retail boxed version (Not included with the PC or with a DVD) that I purchased at a local electronic retailer (Yellow tag). I built the PC myself, so there is NO possibility that there was a basic version installed. I have registered it with Roxio and have a valid TSID. I am able to perform functions that the 'Basic Edition Features' section in Help lists as not availiable in the Basic version. I'm at a loss and Roxio's reply is that EMC 7 does not support AC3.

The same video that does not have audio when loaded into VW7 plays fine in Windows Media Player v11, as well as other players.

A little history. Several months ago, the EMC 7 CD cracked, and having to rebuild my PC from a HD crash, I was not able to use the CD. I contacted Roxio and they had me download the full install as a .exe file which I used to install EMC 7. I've since purchased a LG LRM-519 DVR and can transfer the recorded programs to my PC. It was when I loaded these into VW that I discovered VW will not load the (AC3) audio along with the video.

If Roxio says no AC3 support in version 7, who Am I to argue with them :).

I'm confused by two things I'm seeing...

1) The Help lists AC3 as not being supported in the 'BASIC' version. This implies that AC3 is supported in the non-basic version.

2) I'm seeing posts that AC3 is supported in the Retail Boxed version of EMC 7 & 7.5.

My Questions are...

1 - Is AC3 supported in the Retail Boxed version of EMC 7, or Not?

2 - If AC3 is supported in the retail boxed version, then what happened to it in VW? Is it possible that the .exe file they had me download does not contain AC3 support?

EMC8+ supposidly has AC3 support. Spending $$$ for a new version to add AC3 because my version of EMC7 doesn't have it when it should is a waste of money.

Can anyone knowlegable shed some light on this, and what I should do next?

My system: AMD Athalon XP 2800, 2 gig memory, 400gig hd's, firewire, Raedon 9800.

12 answers to this question

"EMC7 Version - 7.1.1.215 ENU" ????

"Your version has a higher number than the retail version with the latest patch, which is 7.1.1.189 ENU."

That is strange to me to Bruce, as I have a retail version of EMC 7.5 and have updated it to the latest and it has a version number 7.1.1.189 as you suggest. Is it possible that the downloaded version the OP got has all the updates included but they just gave it a different Version number ??

Frank...

I don't know what to tell you about about your DVR files, because I don't have a set top DVD recorder. I can tell you that your version of EMC 7 isn't the retail version that folks bought and updated with the patches put up on the Roxio website. Your version has a higher number than the retail version with the latest patch, which is 7.1.1.189 ENU. Yours should be good to go, though.

I noticed the version number changed from 189 after I reinstalled from the .exe EMC7 full install I downloaded from Roxio support. I'm still waiting on the ticket I opened, and will update this post when I recieve a reply as a FYI for future reference/searches.

"EMC7 Version - 7.1.1.215 ENU" ????

"Your version has a higher number than the retail version with the latest patch, which is 7.1.1.189 ENU."

That is strange to me to Bruce, as I have a retail version of EMC 7.5 and have updated it to the latest and it has a version number 7.1.1.189 as you suggest. Is it possible that the downloaded version the OP got has all the updates included but they just gave it a different Version number ??

Frank...

It is quite possible, Frank. I remember there only being the one update for the downloaded version, on Roxio's download site. That was an update from the original download to 7.0.430.0. At a MUCH later date, there was a link posted, that allowed the folks who had the download version, to download a complete new download version.

However, that link was NEVER posted up on the main site page. The folks who wanted it had to go to their "My Roxio", sign in, and dowload the entire software. I believe that that download became available in the middle of 2005, many months after the update for the Retail version was available.

Another Update of the no-Audio issue in EMC7/9 in recordings from the LG LRM-519. I'm posting my results in case anyone else has an LG DVR.

As written in my previous post a few back, I've upgraded from EMC7 to EMC9, and recordings from the LG LRM-519 imported into EMC9 have no audio. WMP and other players/editors have no issue.

I've discovered that in VideoStudio10, after importing the recording, if I output the video and select 'Same as First Video Clip', it copies instead of render, and, the video when imported into EMC9 has audio! When i was converting them to 'NTSC DVD' it was rendering each file. Copying is much quicker and takes only seconds per file.

Comparing the video/audio properties of the source and saved files are identical. I have no idea what is happening here. unless LG is encoding something of their own in the audio. I thought mperhaps it has something to do with surround sound. I tested the LRM-519 by recording short clips with differnet audio settings. Same result.

ULead VideoStudio10 source/output properties:

Video: MPEG-2, upper field first, 24bit, 720x480, 4:3

Audio: Dolby Digital Audio, 48000Hz, Layer(None), 128kbs

Note: I'm not attempting to slam EMC, or for that matter, promote another vendors product. Roxio is aware of this as I have opend a few issues with them a year or two ago about this. I even suggested sending them a short clip for them to evaluate, and was having difficulty uploading it. They did not appear to be interested. I was hoping this would be corrected in EMC9. As other vendors editors (Ulead, Nero) can import the audio, I would think that LG is doing something weird when encoding the audio, and Roxio hasn't as yet included that vendors 'weird style' of encoding audio.

In conclusion, I am very pleased with EMC9, as I was with EMC7. It is a remarkable product. Ands except for VS10 to repair the files, the only video editor I use.

Sorry. Should have also mentioned...

-------------------------------------------------

IE7 - I had updated to IE7 and EMC7 went south, and have since backed out to IE6. The problems described above started happening long before IE7.

EMC7 Version - 7.1.1.215 ENU

- I've installed the trial version of 'Ulead VideoStudio 10 Plus', and the same clips play audio fine. I'm assuming this is because it is a new version, and the same would be true for EMC9.

- When producing DVD, I do see AC3 in the Audio Format pull down of the Burn Setup window. So, now I'm a bit confused on what type of audio that the LRM-519 DVR is using. When I play the video in Windows Media Player 11 and select properties, it says 'CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (ATI)' for Video codec, and ''CyberLink Audio/SP Decoder (ATI)' for audio codec.

I do have software that will convert these videos into a usable format with EMC7. Allthough all this is not absolutly necessry, if EMC7 is suppose to be able to use these videos, I'm the type that would do whaqtever necessary to get the software to do what it's suppose to do. (I do this professionally on IBM mainframes).

Does anyone know of software I can run that will tell be the Video/Audio formats of a video file?

Can I upload a short (10-30s or so) clip and have someone else try it?

Oh, 'Yellow Tag' is slang for BestBuy. I'm a previous employee, but still contracting with them. Yes, they outsourced my job (and hundreds of others), and I accepted a job from the outsourcer working for them again. Amazing, aint it! :)

I don't know what to tell you about about your DVR files, because I don't have a set top DVD recorder. I can tell you that your version of EMC 7 isn't the retail version that folks bought and updated with the patches put up on the Roxio website. Your version has a higher number than the retail version with the latest patch, which is 7.1.1.189 ENU. Yours should be good to go, though.

I noticed the version number changed from 189 after I reinstalled from the .exe EMC7 full install I downloaded from Roxio support. I'm still waiting on the ticket I opened, and will update this post when I recieve a reply as a FYI for future reference/searches.

Thanks. I would be interested to hear what they say.

An Update for those interested.

My EMC7 does indeed support AC-3 audio. DVD's burned do have AC-3. I've determined that EMC7 does not support the type of audio that the LG LRM-519 creats. ULead 10 and Pinnacle Studio 10 both load the DVR video & audio, where EMC7 does not.

I purchased and installed a retail version of EMC9 this past week. (followed the clean uninstall procedures from this forum of EMC7). Unfortunatly, with the same results. No audio from the LG LRM-519 videos. Bottom line is that it is not a Roxio issue. Rather an LG issue.

Bummer. EMC9 has alot of improvemnts over EMC7, so I suppose I can't complain... Well, I can, but it won't do any good. I'll use ULead to edit/convert the videos to 'mpeg-2 DVD', and EMC9 to build the DVD's. ULead has an excellent video batch converter. It takes a long time, but then that would be true with just about any converter. EMC9 says it has a converter. But I cannot see that it converts video format from one to another, but disc images.

I've seen posts about people not being able to get audio in their video when editing in VW - AC3 not supported.

And, I've seen posts that the basic version does NOT support AC3, and that the Retail boxed version of 7 & 7.5 DOES support AC3. The EMC 7 help also lists that the basic version does not support AC3 in the 'Basic Edition Features'.

My issue, that Roxio has not been able to resolve, is that my version of EMC 7 will not play audio when I import (open) a video file that contains AC3 audio into VW.

My EMC 7 is a retail boxed version (Not included with the PC or with a DVD) that I purchased at a local electronic retailer (Yellow tag). I built the PC myself, so there is NO possibility that there was a basic version installed. I have registered it with Roxio and have a valid TSID. I am able to perform functions that the 'Basic Edition Features' section in Help lists as not availiable in the Basic version. I'm at a loss and Roxio's reply is that EMC 7 does not support AC3.

The same video that does not have audio when loaded into VW7 plays fine in Windows Media Player v11, as well as other players.

A little history. Several months ago, the EMC 7 CD cracked, and having to rebuild my PC from a HD crash, I was not able to use the CD. I contacted Roxio and they had me download the full install as a .exe file which I used to install EMC 7. I've since purchased a LG LRM-519 DVR and can transfer the recorded programs to my PC. It was when I loaded these into VW that I discovered VW will not load the (AC3) audio along with the video.

If Roxio says no AC3 support in version 7, who Am I to argue with them :).

I'm confused by two things I'm seeing...

1) The Help lists AC3 as not being supported in the 'BASIC' version. This implies that AC3 is supported in the non-basic version.

2) I'm seeing posts that AC3 is supported in the Retail Boxed version of EMC 7 & 7.5.

My Questions are...

1 - Is AC3 supported in the Retail Boxed version of EMC 7, or Not?

2 - If AC3 is supported in the retail boxed version, then what happened to it in VW? Is it possible that the .exe file they had me download does not contain AC3 support?

EMC8+ supposidly has AC3 support. Spending $$$ for a new version to add AC3 because my version of EMC7 doesn't have it when it should is a waste of money.

Can anyone knowlegable shed some light on this, and what I should do next?

My system: AMD Athalon XP 2800, 2 gig memory, 400gig hd's, firewire, Raedon 9800.

AC3 is supported in the Retail and downloaded versions of EMC 7 and EMC 7.5. I don't know what yellow tag means, but it looks like it is some type of combination between the Basic version and Retail version but not quite the Retail version. Who knows for sure, though?

Aside: Do you have IE 7 installed? If so, therein lies your problem. Get rid of it by rolling back to IE 6.

I don't know what yellow tag means, but it looks like it is some type of combination between the Basic version and Retail version but not quite the Retail version. Who knows for sure, though?

Aside: Do you have IE 7 installed? If so, therein lies your problem. Get rid of it by rolling back to IE 6.

Yellow tag=Best Buy, I think. I'm wondering if maybe the boxed version contained a Basic/OEM Disk? But most likely, just another victim of IE 7.

Another question---Did you "update" the retial version ?. Or maybe I should ask, what is the version of the EMC program you now have ?? I'm not sure if the update for the retail version had anything to do with AC3 as I don't have the original version on the computer I have running EMC 7.5.

Frank....

Sorry. Should have also mentioned...

-------------------------------------------------

IE7 - I had updated to IE7 and EMC7 went south, and have since backed out to IE6. The problems described above started happening long before IE7.

EMC7 Version - 7.1.1.215 ENU

- I've installed the trial version of 'Ulead VideoStudio 10 Plus', and the same clips play audio fine. I'm assuming this is because it is a new version, and the same would be true for EMC9.

- When producing DVD, I do see AC3 in the Audio Format pull down of the Burn Setup window. So, now I'm a bit confused on what type of audio that the LRM-519 DVR is using. When I play the video in Windows Media Player 11 and select properties, it says 'CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (ATI)' for Video codec, and ''CyberLink Audio/SP Decoder (ATI)' for audio codec.

I do have software that will convert these videos into a usable format with EMC7. Allthough all this is not absolutly necessry, if EMC7 is suppose to be able to use these videos, I'm the type that would do whaqtever necessary to get the software to do what it's suppose to do. (I do this professionally on IBM mainframes).

Does anyone know of software I can run that will tell be the Video/Audio formats of a video file?

Can I upload a short (10-30s or so) clip and have someone else try it?

Oh, 'Yellow Tag' is slang for BestBuy. I'm a previous employee, but still contracting with them. Yes, they outsourced my job (and hundreds of others), and I accepted a job from the outsourcer working for them again. Amazing, aint it! :)

Archived