• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 135 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

MikeE

insufficient privileges to install for all users

Question

I am logged onto XP-Pro SP2 as an administrator.

After clicking "ENGLISH" for the language when starting the install, I get this message and the install quits.

"You do not have sufficient privileges to complete this installation for all users of the machine. Log on as administrator and then retry the installation."

Following shows the members of the computers administrators group. I'm logged in w/ userid2

C:\>showmbrs computername\administrators

Members of local group [computername\administrators]:

computername\userid1

NA\userid2

etc.

etc.

Help Please! Creator 9 and me are not off to a good end user experience!

-- MikeE --

7 answers to this question

Just as a quick check - can you add a new user as admin and try installing under that?

It's just possible that the existing admin account has corrupted in some way and a new account should install. If it doesn't, we'll look for other possibilities (like turning off any anti-virus, firewall etc while offline)

Log on as administrator and then retry the installation."

NA\userid2.

we'll look for other possibilities (like turning off any anti-virus, firewall etc while offline).

I would turn off anti-virus and firewall disconnect from the internet, before I tried installing the program!

cd

Thanks qi7omy & cdanteek for your replies. Here's the update to my problem.

When signed in as admin with my domain acc't I get the error, regardless of being connected to the internet. I don't have a firewall active during the install. I do have Symantec Anti-virus running in real-time mode.

I created a new local acc't with admin privileges. Again, no firewall active and Symantec real-time anti-virus is active.

Signed on with the new local admin acc't I can get the install to start. I cancelled it, see the reason why later in this post.

The domain acc't login is not corrupted. I can install other s/w with it that becomes available to all users. My gut feeling is a ' bug' in EMC9 doing the install with a domain acc't login. I'm not your average home user. I'm an IT professional with over 35 years experience working in development, test and support. There's something quirky w/ the EMC9 install. I'd sure like it (but don't expect it) if someone from Roxio would comment on this.

Now to the reasons I aborted the install. First I want to install it from the primary acc't I always log in with. That is my domain acc't. Second, since it wouldn't install on my laptop, my primary machine. I tried to install it on my wife's machince and it did installed OK (except for the fact it de-installed DELL Media Center, I don't use DELL Media Center, but it was annoying that it de-installed it, even displayed the messages that it was doing it. Not nice!!!!!).

Then I tried using it. WoW! was I dissappointed. It runs incredibly slow. It froze the machine 3 times in the couple-few hours I was using it. Saving a project (only 100+ slides) was way slow and it (EMC7) didn't even have the courtesy (read nice end-user design) to put up a status message or any indication it was 'saving/working'. I actually thought the machine was frozen yet again.

And then once when dragging one of its windows, it just 'smeared' my whole screen and left it frozen that way. And another time when previewing the slide show, it started displaying the 'next' slide on top of the previous until the screen was just garbage.

At this time, I dislike the product so much, I don't know if I'll take the time to de-install it from that machine and then install it to my laptop and try again - or just throw the darn thing out with the next trash pick-up.

Now - I'm not running the latest and greatest h/w but both machines are less than 3 years old - so they are current just not the newest on the market.

In my humble opinion - Roxio rushed this product to market and let the consumer suffer the consequences. I suppose enough people are OK with it - but not this person.

Regards to all, Mike

Thanks qi7omy & cdanteek for your replies. Here's the update to my problem.

When signed in as admin with my domain acc't I get the error, regardless of being connected to the internet. I don't have a firewall active during the install. I do have Symantec Anti-virus running in real-time mode.

I created a new local acc't with admin privileges. Again, no firewall active and Symantec real-time anti-virus is active.

Signed on with the new local admin acc't I can get the install to start. I cancelled it, see the reason why later in this post.

The domain acc't login is not corrupted. I can install other s/w with it that becomes available to all users. My gut feeling is a ' bug' in EMC9 doing the install with a domain acc't login. I'm not your average home user. I'm an IT professional with over 35 years experience working in development, test and support. There's something quirky w/ the EMC9 install. I'd sure like it (but don't expect it) if someone from Roxio would comment on this.

Now to the reasons I aborted the install. First I want to install it from the primary acc't I always log in with. That is my domain acc't. Second, since it wouldn't install on my laptop, my primary machine. I tried to install it on my wife's machince and it did installed OK (except for the fact it de-installed DELL Media Center, I don't use DELL Media Center, but it was annoying that it de-installed it, even displayed the messages that it was doing it. Not nice!!!!!).

Then I tried using it. WoW! was I dissappointed. It runs incredibly slow. It froze the machine 3 times in the couple-few hours I was using it. Saving a project (only 100+ slides) was way slow and it (EMC7) didn't even have the courtesy (read nice end-user design) to put up a status message or any indication it was 'saving/working'. I actually thought the machine was frozen yet again.

And then once when dragging one of its windows, it just 'smeared' my whole screen and left it frozen that way. And another time when previewing the slide show, it started displaying the 'next' slide on top of the previous until the screen was just garbage.

At this time, I dislike the product so much, I don't know if I'll take the time to de-install it from that machine and then install it to my laptop and try again - or just throw the darn thing out with the next trash pick-up.

Now - I'm not running the latest and greatest h/w but both machines are less than 3 years old - so they are current just not the newest on the market.

In my humble opinion - Roxio rushed this product to market and let the consumer suffer the consequences. I suppose enough people are OK with it - but not this person.

Regards to all, Mike

What are your computer specs, especially video card? A 3 year old PC is certainly not "current" and unless updated to a the proper video card and latest DirectX, EMC 9 will have trouble running properly if at all.

What are your computer specs, especially video card? A 3 year old PC is certainly not "current" and unless updated to a the proper video card and latest DirectX, EMC 9 will have trouble running properly if at all.

Politely I say (I am not trying to get into an argument). "Current", I guess, is a matter of perspective. For you a 3 yr old machine may be antique. For me, supporting 28,000 desktops and over 600 servers worldwide, a 3 year old machine is current. We just can't replace that many every couple years. Enough said.

My home desktop is a DELL, 3GHz Pentium®, 512 MB memory, and an old (from your perspective) NVIDIA GeForce 5200. I've just downloaded the latest driver from NVIDIA (ver. 93.71) and will install it in the next day of so. If that fixes the EMC9 hangs and screen smears, then shame on me!

(But it doesn't cover the - won't install with a domain administrator acc't problem I have on my laptop).

And again politely I say: the spec's on the EMC9 box say this: "For DVD slideshow authoring 1.4Ghz Pentium, 256 MB RAM". So my system exceeds those requirements.

It has no requirement listed for a state-of-the-art video card. All my other graphic tools work fine, Photoshop, Arcsoft, Movie Maker, Photostory3, etc. For a $70US off the shelf product aimed at the general consumer, I expect a more stable and universally useable product. Just my humble opinion.

Regards, Mike

Politely I say (I am not trying to get into an argument). "Current", I guess, is a matter of perspective. For you a 3 yr old machine may be antique. For me, supporting 28,000 desktops and over 600 servers worldwide, a 3 year old machine is current. We just can't replace that many every couple years. Enough said.

My home desktop is a DELL, 3GHz Pentium®, 512 MB memory, and an old (from your perspective) NVIDIA GeForce 5200. I've just downloaded the latest driver from NVIDIA (ver. 93.71) and will install it in the next day of so. If that fixes the EMC9 hangs and screen smears, then shame on me!

(But it doesn't cover the - won't install with a domain administrator acc't problem I have on my laptop).

And again politely I say: the spec's on the EMC9 box say this: "For DVD slideshow authoring 1.4Ghz Pentium, 256 MB RAM". So my system exceeds those requirements.

It has no requirement listed for a state-of-the-art video card. All my other graphic tools work fine, Photoshop, Arcsoft, Movie Maker, Photostory3, etc. For a $70US off the shelf product aimed at the general consumer, I expect a more stable and universally useable product. Just my humble opinion.

Regards, Mike

No offence intended with my "current" comment. If you look at my specs, my system is even "less" current then yours. I have the same video card as you but did have to bring it up to current driver status and DirectX 9c to make it work. The original system would not even run EMC 7.

The specs for EMC 9 require 1.6Ghz for burning.

Edited by myguggi

A couple days ago I said "I've just downloaded the latest driver from NVIDIA (ver. 93.71) and will install it in the next day of so. If that fixes the EMC9 hangs and screen smears, then shame on me!"

Well it's time to take my lickin'! - After upgrading to the latest NVIDIA drivers/control panel - the instability and "screen" smears of EMC9 have vanished. So like I said "Shame on me for blaming EMC9".

I spent the last couple days putting together some slideshows with both the basic slide show creator and video wave. So now I've begun the journey to learn the ins and outs of EMC9. My original negative first impression is now a guarded optimistic impression.

"Guarded", mainly because of the posts in this forum about it's quirks (bugs/problems?).

Thanks to the guru's in this forum for their answers to me (as well as the good advice they give out to a lot of posts).

Regards all,

Mike