• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

which computer is more suitable?

mondschain

Hi, I need a little help. I mostly do video edition with roxio 7.5 or roxio 8 and planning to get roxio 9. Right now I have two computers but can keep only one the other one my husband needs. So I will list whatever hardware those computers have and hopefully someone can tell me which one is more suiteable for the kind of work I do with it.

#pc is =

Dell Dimension 8200

P4 2.0GHz

1GB RAM

64 MB DDR Nvida GEFORCE3 TI 200Grafic Card with DVI

SB Live!1024 Digital Sound Card

#pc is =

Compaq AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4GHz

1GB DDR SDRAM

GeForce 6150 w/ 256MB Shared Memory(on board)

System Bus Up To 2000MHz

Sound Card Integrated Audio, 6 Speaker Configurable (on board)

I can see that on paper the AMD looks better but I am not so happy about the sound card and graphic card. Plus I never used an AMD before. Thank you for any suggestions

One thing I would suggest about each computer is that any time you have on-board or "integrated" sound and/or video as opposed to a dedicated sound card and video card, it's not nearly as good and sometime not even operable for Video editing with Roxio's EMC programs.

So if I had to choose one to keep for doing your video editing and other work with EMC, I would choose the one that has the "dedicated" video and sound cards. Then you might think about upgrading those cards in the one you keep.

Hey, better yet---go for a new one :)

Frank...

Which integrated sound chipset? I have the Realtek HiDef audio ALC882 chipset configured as 7.1 and it sounds great. Sometimes wished it had a little more volume so I could rattle the windows when watching movies. LOL The latest version is the ACL888 I think. Integrated sound is changing. Unfortunately, integrated video isn't keeping up.

I know that the nVidia 6150 should support DirectX 9. Readnig a few reviews, the 6150 does run most current games although much slower than a dedicated card. So the 6150 'should' be ok for Videowave/MyDVD, but a better card may still be a better solution.

I would keep the AMD machine. Perhaps add another gig of memory. You didn't state hard drives. Just have plenty of HD space for video editing.

thank you guys for reply. I am still a lil confused though... I cant decide. I don't care so much about the sound just graphic and processor speed. Can I install a new graphic card in the amd and disable the one on board? Is it even worth it? Most graphic cards are very expensive.

Early Athlon's are P3 class. So part of it is exactly which Version, altho the same can be said for P3 (Katmai vs Coppermine).

Thus, the P4 is going to do more, better.

If part of the graphics memory is shared, that means you have that much less RAM, and overall the system will be slower. And, as Frank has pointed out, you may or may not get good results with shared memory. A dedicated Video card is definately going to be better.

I'd suggest keeping the P4 with nVideo GeForce 3 graphics card.

Lynn

"Can I install a new graphic card in the amd and disable the one on board?"

Yes you can add a different graphics card. However, it's not a matter of adding one and "disabling" the other or older one. You actually remove the old card and "replace" it with the new one. Usually when you purchase a new graphics card, it comes with a CD that has the necessary "driver" for that card. However, many times the driver that comes with the new card you just purchased is NOT the latest one available, so one should always check the manufacturer's website to see if there is a newer driver that you can download.

Another thing that you might check is the bIOS for the computer to amke sure you have the setup options set for on-board hardware as opposed to the integrated option.

Frank...

thank you guys for reply. I am still a lil confused though... I cant decide. I don't care so much about the sound just graphic and processor speed. Can I install a new graphic card in the amd and disable the one on board? Is it even worth it? Most graphic cards are very expensive.

Don't even consider the first machine. Keep the AMD machine, and get a dedicated video card. The BIOS should automatically disable the onboard video chip, once you install the new video card.

Compaq AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4GHz

1GB DDR SDRAM

GeForce 6150 w/ 256MB Shared Memory(on board)

System Bus Up To 2000MHz

Sound Card Integrated Audio, 6 Speaker Configurable (on board)

Can I install a new graphic card in the amd and disable the one on board? )

Yes you can add a different graphics card. However, it's not a matter of adding one and "disabling" the other or older one. You actually remove the old card and "replace" it )

What I read about the (GeForce 6150 w/ 256MB Shared Memory on board) it's a motherboard video chip. So the question is, does the AMD puter have a PCI or AGP video slot to except a video card?

cd

Thus, the P4 is going to do more, better.
Sounds like Intel has pulled the wool over your eyes. :) Or perhaps you just missed the Athlon 64 3800+ part? That AMD will run circles around that P4 at 2Ghz.

The nVidia 6150 is a MUCH NEWER video card even with shared memory. It totally supports DirectX 9 where the Geforce 3 was designed for earlier DirectX (8 - I think). Even some of the dedicated nVidia cards use 'shared' system memory still like the 7300 series. i know - I have one that uses 256MB of my system memory and asked nVidia tech if i could disable it. Point being that technology has advanced alot. By adding another 512MB or 1GB to the AMD system, the OP could set the AMD mobo video to 256MB and wouldn't miss it a bit. It will not slow the system down.

I'm going to play devils advocate here...... and suggest that you install EMC 7 on both computers and try making a production on the AMD before you make the final decision. You already know how the other computer works with EMC 7 so you'll notice if there are differences and if the final DVD is the same.

The AMD should be better because it's a newer and faster chip. Still, it wouldn't hurt to try EMC 7 on it before you transfer all your files.

The nVidia 6150 is a MUCH NEWER video card even with shared memory.

"NVIDIA launched their integrated graphics chipsets for Athlon 64 about two months ago. The NVIDIA 61x0 family consists of three combinations of Northbridge and Southbridge geared at different market segments.

Base systems with the GeForce 6100/nForce410 quickly found their way to market, but it has taken nearly two months since the NVIDIA launch for the top-of-the-line GeForce 6150/nForce430 to appear. Asus, the largest of the Tier 1 board manufacturers, is often first to market with new chipsets. That is the case today as we take a first look at the performance of the Asus A8N-VM CSM, which features the 6150/430 integrated graphics chipset."

It has 3 PCI slots of which one has a modem which I dont need.

Does the AMD puter have a PCI or AGP video slot to except a video card?

cd

Archived