• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

How Long A Video Should Dvd+r Take?

tim_fenton

Question

I have noticed that Toast is indicating that video over about 1hour 35mins will not fit on DVD+R single layer (i.e. the space indicator is orange not green)

To get round this I change the media selector from DVD to DVD-DL (dual layer) I then save this as a disc image to desktop, mount the image and then burn the Video_TS folder (using the appropriate Toast option) to my single layer disc.

I thought that DVD single layer should hold 2 hours. Also the quality slider does not seem to have any effect on how much of the DVD is used.

Basic stuff but I couldn't find anything specific in the manual...

6 answers to this question

At some point you must have changed the audio encoding to PCM instead of Dolby Digital in the Custom Encoding settings window. Change the setting back to Dolby Digital or click the reset defaults button.

I clicked on the "more" button (bottom left) and found the encoding tab showed audio at Dolby digital but I hit the "reset defaults" as suggested anyway.

When I tried the same movie it still showed the space estimator in Orange when single layer DVD was selected...

I clicked on the "more" button (bottom left) and found the encoding tab showed audio at Dolby digital but I hit the "reset defaults" as suggested anyway.

When I tried the same movie it still showed the space estimator in Orange when single layer DVD was selected...

When Toast is encoding the MPEG video it fits more than 2-1/2 hours to a single-layer disc. What kind of video are you dragging to Toast? Tell me more about how you are doing this. I'm really puzzled.

When Toast is encoding the MPEG video it fits more than 2-1/2 hours to a single-layer disc. What kind of video are you dragging to Toast? Tell me more about how you are doing this. I'm really puzzled.

It's when I click the "Burn with Toast" option from within the Elgato EyeTv application viewing recorded programmes which I believe are direct uncompressed copies of the digital signal from the Terratec Cinergy T² tuner. This automatically opens Toast and places the recorded programme in the DVD window (so I don't actually drag any file). The same duration shows in both Toast and EyeTv.

If there's any more details that would be helpful I'll try to remember but I'm at work now and not at my iMac (unfortunately!)

Thanks for the assistance, much appreciated!

I don't have an EyeTV. It sounds like you may have the EyeTV 500 because you say it captures the actual video stream from the tuner rather than encoding its own MPEG.

In your first post you say you choose Save as Disc Image and then burn that image file to DVD. I was assuming that the image file that Toast created was still too big for the single-layer disc and you had to use the fit-to-DVD option to make it fit. But as I re-read your post it appears that the disc image did fit the single-layer disc with no additional compression needed. Is that right?

So what I understand is happening is Toast's scale for displaying how full the disc will be is in error with your EyeTV files. When you choose Save as Disc Image, Toast works it all out, though.

You might send a message to Freshburn describing the kind of video file and the problem. He is always on the watch for any possible Toast bugs.

I don't have an EyeTV. It sounds like you may have the EyeTV 500 because you say it captures the actual video stream from the tuner rather than encoding its own MPEG.

In your first post you say you choose Save as Disc Image and then burn that image file to DVD. I was assuming that the image file that Toast created was still too big for the single-layer disc and you had to use the fit-to-DVD option to make it fit. But as I re-read your post it appears that the disc image did fit the single-layer disc with no additional compression needed. Is that right?

So what I understand is happening is Toast's scale for displaying how full the disc will be is in error with your EyeTV files. When you choose Save as Disc Image, Toast works it all out, though.

You might send a message to Freshburn describing the kind of video file and the problem. He is always on the watch for any possible Toast bugs.

Sorry for delay: yes you are right i.e. when I mount the disk image and select the video_ts folder from the appropriate toast mode, it shows the appropriate sizing even though the DVD is set back to single layer.

The software is Elgato EyeTV Digital TV recorder 1.8.4

I'll contact Freshburn as you suggest...

Archived