Dreaded "Error 1706 no valid source could be found for product DAO."

Clint H

Question

I had no problems when I first installed EMC8. When I reformatted, all hell has cut loose with it. I can't do anything without it wanting to install some DAO "thing". Every restart, the same thing and it tries to search a temp directory for DAO.msi and can't find it. "Error 1706 no valid source could be found for product DAO........". That dao.msi file is not on the HD nor the CD. I tried searching for this and saw that a file called mdac_typ-Enu-260.exe will fix it and you can get it from the M$ site or the ATI site (not sure what ATI has to do with this yet). I searched the M$ site and ATI's site for it and didn't find jack. Can't find it at a search engine either. Can't search for it here because this site's search doesn't work! "Sorry an error has occurred". I'm not about to uninstall DAO because it's needed for some ATI 'ware functions. I tried "repairing" EMC8 to no avail. Office 2k nor any other Office product, or Word, is installed. The ONLY thing installed is the same as before; ATI, drivers for all hardware, and EMC8.

When it gets "tired" of trying to install it, it stops and I get a Visual C++ Runtime Library window that says a runtime error in RoxWatch.exe.

I fail to understand why this never happened on the first XP install, but it's happening now. All of the ATI (AIW Radeon 7500) drivers and 'ware are installed as before, all the latest.

So, what now?

Thanks.

10 answers to this question

Hmm, I searched for mdac_typ-Enu-260.exe, try that one. Well this is strange, now it's working. (The only post BTW that has that search term in this thread).

Your problem is a DAO problem. DAO is what you should have typed in the search box! :):huh::D:D

I am glad that you got it fixed. BTW, if you remove DAO and find out later that you need it, you can reinstall it. That too, has worked for some folks, and reinstalling DAO did not cause the problems they experienced before removing it.

Your problem is a DAO problem. DAO is what you should have typed in the search box! :huh::D:D:D

Well, no, at the time I was searching for that exact file since that was allegedly the fix. But the file didn't work.

I am glad that you got it fixed. BTW, if you remove DAO and find out later that you need it, you can reinstall it. That too, has worked for some folks, and reinstalling DAO did not cause the problems they experienced before removing it.

I did get it fixed....but I don't see where I said that. :) What I had to do was uninstall DAO by going into the ATI/Support folder and clicking the DAO icon. Then I searched the HD for dao.msi and saved it from that temp folder to another location. I created the temp folder the installer was searching for, so that when it went through this process again it would find it, but it didn't! It still kept saying the file was not there! So I told it to look in the Desktop (I also had a copy of it there) and it said it was unable to access the folder! It kept prompting/defaulting to look as an option elsewhere in the System32 folder, so I dragged the file to that folder and it finally accepted it.

I'd still like to know what happened to cause all this, why it didn't happen the first time, and how it can be avoided if the customer has to reformat.

I found the #$^@ file, in all places, in the ATI/SUPPORT folder on the HD. I ran it, DIDN'T WORK!! Same crap.

The search on here (top right on this page) works fine.I just type in 1706 (the error you were getting) and found thefix that grandpabruce sent you.

The search on here (top right on this page) works fine.I just type in 1706 (the error you were getting) and found thefix that grandpabruce sent you.

Hmm, I searched for mdac_typ-Enu-260.exe, try that one. Well this is strange, now it's working. (The only post BTW that has that search term in this thread).

As a matter of fact, I did run chkdsk /r or whatever it is from the XP recovery console area, can't remember the exact syntax now. I also did the conventional chkdsk from XP (the right click of the drive and "properties" route). But I do NOT remember when I ran them. I don't recall if it was before or after this. Is something like that what you mean? If so, please explain how that can cause this error.

Clint I feel your pain! I sent a letter to Roxio and ati almost verbattum to your posts! No telling how old this post is but somewhere in this post frankcoella figured it out!

This is what I use on my pc:

Windows xp pro sp2

All in Wonder 2006 pci E-Edition

Running 9.12 ati multi-media center

The Radeon x 1300 series 1

Intel Pentium cpu 2.66

1 gig of ram

P5ld2vm –asus motherboard

I use adobe premiere pro and cs3

I re-installed Roxio and before re-start ran the replacement and have restarted twice. No more annoying DAO error that returns like a trick candle! Thanks!

Frankcoella’s fix worked like a charm!

This one worked for Mr Magoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From r in regsvr32 to the " in .dll copy the entire thing. go to start>run>paste in run> hit enter or ok. It will say you succedded>then do register part, copy the whole thing from r to the "

- Unregister it by typing this at the START/RUN command line:

to unregister copy and paste> regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\dao\dao360.dll"

- then Register it: regsvr32 "c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\dao\dao360.dll"

resolved this issue on most of my clients machines using ATI Products

Did you do any disk cleanup recently, or add / remove another program? these can cause issues.

As a matter of fact, I did run chkdsk /r or whatever it is from the XP recovery console area, can't remember the exact syntax now. I also did the conventional chkdsk from XP (the right click of the drive and "properties" route). But I do NOT remember when I ran them. I don't recall if it was before or after this. Is something like that what you mean? If so, please explain how that can cause this error.

Archived