• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Expereince With Lg Gsa-2166d Drive Fimware Upgrade

mstepka

Question

Hi;

I've some problems using LG GSA-2166D drive with Toast 7.0.2 (see my oldest post in forum). Is anybody out there having experience with firmware upgrade using firmware from other LG model or anybody who tested more media and have succes with some brands? Let me know I either switch media or upgrade firmware but I don't want to make drive unusable. Thanks.

Marian

3 answers to this question

Hi;

Seems there is incompatibility between drive and Toast 7. I tested different RW media with same result. Then I decide to take another test. I let Toast 7 create just disk image and try to burn that image using Disk Utility. It burned all RW media without problem. Seems Toast 7 cannot handle drive corectly. I will wait till LG will release new firmware but up untill now drive is from my point of view unusable with Toast 7.0.2 only way to burn DVD-RW media is save disk image and then burn it using Disk Utility and I think that this is not the way to use burn software.

I would use better media first. Use a name brand like TDK or Verbatim. Just get one disc and see if it works better. The drive firmware controls what media can be used and what media can't. Upgrading the firmware may make the media you have work, but I would just find a brand of media that worked with the current drive until an official firmware came out.

Here is a review of the drive. It doesn't get good marks for performance.

http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.php?r...page=Conclusion

Archived