Sign in to follow this  
treefrog

DVD-Audio vs. Music DVD

Question

I purchased Toast 7 after it having been recommended to me as a possibility to burn dvd-Audios, i.e. hirez PCM music dvds. Unfortunately there was no option to download a temporary trial version for testing. Now, having installed Toast 7 I am finding out that Toast does NOT allow authoring/burning DVD-Audio. There is a sentence to that effect in the help menue: " A Music DVD should not be confused with a DVD-Audio disc."... well, so much I knew.

My question, hence: What is the fundamental difference between a DVD-A and a Music DVD (set to PCM and 96KHz)? As I understand a Music DVD does not allow "in between sampling rates" such as 88.2. Is this right? Were my 100+ dollars for Toast thrown out of the window?

8 answers to this question

The Muisc DVD format used by Toast is playable on any DVD player, whereas the DVD-Audio format is higher quality and only plays back on DVD Audio-equipped players. That's all I know as I haven't actually compared the formats.

If you purchased Toast as a download from Roxio they have a 15-day refund policy. So if you aren't satisfied with the music DVD feature after trying it out you can trash Toast and get a refund.

As much as I love Toast for all my DVD burning functions, one of my reasons for purchasing it was to make audio DVDs. I was really disappointed when I tried to import songs from iTunes to Toast and Toast wouldn't let me burn a disc because they were "protected". The only songs I could burn to DVD via Toast were those that I imported to iTunes from CDs, which only amount to about 10% of my iTunes songs. I wish Toast would add fine print stating something like "Toast will not burn songs that were downloaded with iTunes". Burning thousands of iTune songs to CD and reimporting them is not an option. I would still have purchased Toast, but if I knew ahead of time about this audio DVD limitation, I would have avoided having my "expectation bubble" burst. To this day, I still have not made an audio DVD. Very disappointed!!!

As much as I love Toast for all my DVD burning functions, one of my reasons for purchasing it was to make audio DVDs. I was really disappointed when I tried to import songs from iTunes to Toast and Toast wouldn't let me burn a disc because they were "protected". The only songs I could burn to DVD via Toast were those that I imported to iTunes from CDs, which only amount to about 10% of my iTunes songs. I wish Toast would add fine print stating something like "Toast will not burn songs that were downloaded with iTunes". Burning thousands of iTune songs to CD and reimporting them is not an option. I would still have purchased Toast, but if I knew ahead of time about this audio DVD limitation, I would have avoided having my "expectation bubble" burst. To this day, I still have not made an audio DVD. Very disappointed!!!

There was a time when Toast 6 with Jam could make a music DVD from iTunes downloads but Apple told Roxio to disable that capability and Apple went on to modify QuickTime and iTunes to make certain that only Apple applications could use iTunes download tracks.

Hi, Tsantee,

Thanks for your clarification, but what exactly do you mean by DVD-Audio would be a higher quality format than Music DVD (à la Toast)?

I don't wish to burn iTunes music since this is 16/44.1 anyway, and I'm channeling those via Airtunes. I need a medium to play 24/88.2 or 24/96 on a Universal disk player that I hope to receive tomorrow. How does the quality of a PCM encoded hirez file on a Music DVD differ from a dedicated DVD-Audio?

I appreciate your thoughts.

There was a time when Toast 6 with Jam could make a music DVD from iTunes downloads but Apple told Roxio to disable that capability and Apple went on to modify QuickTime and iTunes to make certain that only Apple applications could use iTunes download tracks.

Tsantee,

I'm not blaming Toast. I'm even more upset with Apple with this decision. All I meant to say was that I wish the Toast product description would state that it can't use iTunes songs to burn audio DVDs, because I would venture to bet that many people buy Toast for this function. Of course, stating this upfront may affect Toast sales.

For the difference between audio-DVDs and DVD-Audio discs, I understood the difference to be that an audio-DVD can have songs on it much like any audio-CD. On a DVD-Audio disc, the music is generally mixed specifically for the increased audio capability of DVD, like 5.1 surround. And, you need a DVD player or car system that can actually play a DVD-audio disc. Unless the player states that it will play DVD-Audio, it can't. This seems to be a unique audio format.

I don't know if your question was answered already but if you select to create a Music DVD Toast creates a DVD which contains all Music information in the Video_TS folder. That's not an AUDIO-DVD as an AUDIO-DVD typically contains the Music information in the AUDIO_TS folder. (BTW: That's what the folder is for - not the sound track of the movie :D )

So I guess, Toast does not let you create any AUDIO-DVDs but it lets you create something like the sound track of a normal Video-DVD with your own tracks (which of course does not contain any video then).

When we talk about PCM material, it is normally encoded into AOB files (the music equivalent of the video VOB file) with higher data volume than the WAV files of a music CD. If you play an AUDIO-DVD on a normal player it always contains a DTS track which gives a nice surround feeling but clearly isn't PCM but MP3 format like the sound track of movies that Video DVD players can handle. But what you want is 192kHz/24 bit stereo or 96kHz/24 bit surround ... not with Toast! :huh:

I am afraid if you wish to create a real AUDIO-DVD with 5.1 sourround sound of PCM material you will need to use something like a media production tool like Steinberg's Nuendo. That of course has an entirely different price tag :D ... you don' want to know :)

Hi Bernie,

thanks for your clarification that is again somehow different from what others are saying. I also noticed that the music is not in the Audio_TS but in the video_TS folder. However: I burnt a DVD with 2-channel music in PCM 24/96 and noticed that the size of the sound track on the dvd was about the same as that on my HD.

What do you mean by AOB encoding? Does this mean that the DVD track will be compressed or encoded in a way that does not preserve the 24/96 format? How would this be compatible with the fact mentioned in the foregoing paragraph?

Hi Bernie,

thanks for your clarification that is again somehow different from what others are saying. I also noticed that the music is not in the Audio_TS but in the video_TS folder. However: I burnt a DVD with 2-channel music in PCM 24/96 and noticed that the size of the sound track on the dvd was about the same as that on my HD.

What do you mean by AOB encoding? Does this mean that the DVD track will be compressed or encoded in a way that does not preserve the 24/96 format? How would this be compatible with the fact mentioned in the foregoing paragraph?

in order to preserve the 24/96 PCM audio

in the Formats area select the_ More button

then on the window select_ Encoding

next select the_ Custom button

under Audio Format select_ PCM

then select_ use 96kHz/24 Bit PCM

if you don't it will DITHER down to 16/48 :)