• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Video Editing In Emc8

richardteam

Question

I'm confused about the features of editing video in EMC8. Right now, I'm using VideoWave 7, and I am very satisfied with it, but I'm not sure if I should get EMC 8. I do want the DVD program included with it, but I am mostly looking for editing in 16:9 widescreen with high-quality video. Does EMC8 do that, or does it do at least in the same level of editing as VideoWave 7?

8 answers to this question

I'm confused about the features of editing video in EMC8. Right now, I'm using VideoWave 7, and I am very satisfied with it, but I'm not sure if I should get EMC 8. I do want the DVD program included with it, but I am mostly looking for editing in 16:9 widescreen with high-quality video. Does EMC8 do that, or does it do at least in the same level of editing as VideoWave 7?

I just installed this week so don't know specifically if you can edit in 16:9. but I am thinking we lost the ability to create chapters. It seems you have to keep V7 installed. tj

Both MyDVD and VW offer 16:9 support.

I just installed this week so don't know specifically if you can edit in 16:9. but I am thinking we lost the ability to create chapters. It seems you have to keep V7 installed. tj

Creating chapters is alive and well. Just read some posts and the help files, and you will find it is easy.

I am mostly looking for editing in 16:9 widescreen with high-quality video.

What do you mean by 'high-quality'? MyDVD and Videowave can import High Definition files, but the final results will be standard definition for burning to a DVD. Video 'quality' is very subjective. Some people have reported that the quality isn't as good in V8 as it was in V7, but that hasn't been my experience. I did an exhaustive test of my own with a single video file using EMC7, EMC8, Magix Movie Edit Pro10, Adobe Premiere Elements 2, Ulead Video Studio 8 and Sony Vegas Studio 6. To be fair, I did no editing whatsoever. The final results was judged by my 80 year old mother. :) The DVDs were viewed on the same DVD player and a RCA 32" TV. She thought EMC7 was the worst with Adobe the best. The others were a tie for the middle.

It seems that quality could vary from machine to machine although that makes no sense. Perhaps it's a codec issue.

I must have been writing while you were posting. LOL I think most of the issues here are machine sepcific. EMC8 runs perfectly fine on both of my machines listed in my signature. I'm diligent about keeping my machine virus and malware free plus keep all my drivers updated. When it comes to video editing, a good video card is needed. Videowave and MyDVD can now take advantage of the GPU on these cards

Yes, you can fully edit 16:9 in V8. Not only that, but you can mix 16:9 and 4:3 in the same project. The video will be automatically letterboxed depending on the PROJECT SETTINGS.

As for chapters, see your other thread.

Sweet, thanks a lot. I'm probably going to get the product and try it out for myself... after all, it can't be worse than what I have now, which is basically nothing. As for the video quality thing, I was just trying to see if the DVD's can be burned in high-resolution... like the HD channels on Television, or professional movie DVD's. I have a very simple DVD authoring program now, and the quality is pretty good, but not as good as pro's have it. It might be my camera, or maybe the video capture software on my computer, but I do know that when I set the quality on the DVD authoring program to "best", less video can be stored on the disk, but its better quality. That's kind of what I meant; more quality, without so much capacity reduction.

I was just trying to see if the DVD's can be burned in high-resolution... like the HD channels on Television, or professional movie DVD's..

There is no such thing as HD DVDs at the moment. That's what the next generation of Blue Ray burners will provide. As for commercial DVDs, there is no way a consumer level product can create the same quality. They use 1000's of computers and millions of dollars to create one DVD. With that said, I still think the quality is as good or better than a commercial VHS tape.

The resolution of a standard DVD is 720X480 NTSC. Can't get any higher. Even widescreen video is squeezed into that same resolution and they use software tricks to make it widescreen during playback. So you can see there's alot going on with digital video. It still amazes me what we can do on a home computer. :)

Archived