Media Import

debmike57

Question

MEDIA IMPORT OPENS AND THEN CLOSES IMMEDIATELY, OR CLOSES AFTER I SELECT VIDEO. I HAVE PC-CILLIN VIRUS PROGRAM. READ A POSTING ON AMAZON THAT COMPLAINED OF EZ8 SUITE'S CAUSING DRIVES NOT TO BE RECOGNIZED (HAD THIS PROBLEM) AND NOT BEING ABLE TO IMPORT USING MEDIA IMPORT THAT WAS SOLVED EVENTUALLY BY A TECH FROM ROXIO. DOES ANYONE ELSE KNOW ABOUT THIS ISSUE AND HOW TO RESOLVE IT QUICKLY??? MY TAPES FROM MY VIDEO CAMERA ARE STACKING UP!! THE QUALITY OF THE WINDOWS MOVIE MAKER IMPORT IS NOT AS GOOD AS ROXIO WAS. IT USED TO WORK BEFORE.

3 answers to this question

The problem actually is one element of Trend Micro Security Suite 2007. The part that causes the problem is the 'Anti Spam' element that incorperates itself into your email client.

If you disable or temporararily stop this running you will not get the crashes. The executable is called TMAS_OEMON.exe and sits in the following location:

C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security 2007\TMAS_OE (assuming a typical install of Trend).

It is set to run when logging on. If you go to Task Manager you will see it listed under processes.

You therefore have two options to solve the problem.

1. Stop it temporarily when you want to use Media Import.

2. Disable it from running at all.

These are the solutions to each.

1. To stop it temporarily, locate it in Task Manager, highlight it and then right click and select 'end process'. To restart it go to the folder mentioned earlier and click on TMAS_OEMON.exe.

2. To disable it permenantly you will need to go into the registry and delete a key at the following registry location.

HKEY_CURRENT USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run

You will see in the right hand pane the entry OE. This is the entry we need to remove. Right click then either delete it or if you feel you might want to replace it at a later date highlight it and then select File/Export from the registry toolbar. On the next log off or log on it will not load and Media Import will work.

Sorry about the all caps, got used to inputting my data that way, refusing to acknowledge my need for reading glasses! I did run a repair, and actually eventually uninstalled and reinstalled the program.

Here is the description I sent to technical support:

My issue may be similar to the article below. I was and am still having trouble burning dvd's and had to download Nero7 trial version, create a video rendering of my Roxio productions

and burn them using Nero. Roxio would crash whenever I tried to burn a

dvd through the dvd builder program. I have to shut down the computer with the power button when it does this. Uninstalled Roxio and wanted to reinstall it and found I couldn't because my computer didn't recognize my drives at all after I uninstalled Roxio and I couldn 't even load on a disk to reinstall it!!!

Ran the rxfix and got a Windows fatal error blue screen. Now it recognizes the drives, still can't burn using Roxio, my Nero Trial expired. Also, my Media import opens, but as soon as I click Video, it crashes or the window disappears and returns me to the Roxio home page. I cannot import any video or photo or anything using media import and it doesn't recognize any devices. After reading the below, it jogged my memory

the problems started around the time of switching from McAffee to PC-Cillin. Any help would be appreciated. I am on the verge of purchasing the Nero7 and would have to import using that, make my Roxio production, and burn using Nero7 also. Really don't want to do that when I have the Media Creator 8 Deluxe Suite already.

I have been using Roxio for 2 years and have resolved any previous issues by searching the articles, reading the postings. I record video for the high school soccer, basketball and baseball teams, providing the teams with highlight videos at the end of the season. I was unable to do this for 2006 fall soccer due to the above problems. This is beyond my skill level. Thought someone else might have experienced a similar problem.

Below is one reference I found that seemed similar to my issue.

"Unbelievable customer service, November 3, 2005"

Reviewer: M. Marcoux - See all my reviews

Roxio EMC 8 was the stem of all my issues with the drive read errors

and system hanging during shutdown. Don't get me wrong, I love the

product if it would work. It blows Nero 7 away, but I cannot live with those

2 issues. Imageburn (3rd party product) and EAC won't work after

installation and my systems locks during shutdown where I have to hard power

off to reset. Even Windows Explorer locked up simply trying to view the

contents of my DVD drive. Uninstalling the EMC 8 solved all issues I

was having. It has been a frustrating 24 hours as I thought my system

committed suicide and I rebuilt the Windows XP installation with a clean

format. Same issues after on a clean system after EMC 8 install. I

almost bought a new computer thinking it was the machine.

However, I posted a message on their forums and one of their tech

support dev guys called me out of the blue. The issue ended up being related

to my PC-Cillin AV and he was able to get things working after in depth

troubleshooting. Wow, wish all companies had support like Roxio!!! I

never asked for this kind of help and they took it to the max. I highly

recommend their products.

Thanks Patrick!"

Any ideas???

Thanks, Deborah

Archived