• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

disc copier problem

joanna j

Question

9 answers to this question

Please excuse my lack of computer knowledge! What is firmware, and how would I find updates? I think that the firmware has something to do with the dvd drive.

Thanks!

Firmware is the software part of your hardware that controls how the burner works. It can be updated with new instructions to work better and accept changes in how it runs.

Since you're not sure, I don't suggest you do anything as it could get messy. However, if you have a friend who is good at all things computer, ask and maybe they can help. The web site of the dvd manufacturer is the first place to look for updated firmware.

Do you know the make and model number of the DVD burner?

If the DVD burner came with your computer, the updates might be on the computer manufacturer's website.

Another thing to check is what speed of DVD your DVD writer will write to. Most DVDs that you buy have variable speed ( ie. 1 ~ 8 or Up to 8x), but not all.

It's definitely a DVD burner. I was finally able to get DVD builder to work and burn (reinstalled the program, and am now using DVD+Rs, instead of DVD-Rs), but I am still having trouble copying DVDs. It begins the burning process, but somewhere along the way, the program closes, and then I can't even open the drive to get the DVD out. I have to restart the computer to get it out. I realized that the DVD that I tried to burn has an error on it. It is a DVD from my video camera, and when I open up the movie in Media Player, one of the slides has a question mark on it. The slides after it are fine, and I can view them all, except for that one. Maybe I scratched it???? Anyway, I'm thinking that when I try to burn the copy it keeps getting caught on that one part, and I can't skip that one section of the DVD.

I did check out to see if both drives on my computer has updates, but there weren't any available. According the computer, it's as updated as it will get.

Anyway, I'm thinking that when I try to burn the copy it keeps getting caught on that one part, and I can't skip that one section of the DVD.

That's very possible. Anything that causes the burn process to slow down or stop can cause a burn to fail.

Try the suggestion to burn to an 'image file'(.iso) on your hard drive first. It's under the 'Advanced' tab in Disk Copier. If you cannot burn to an 'image file', then the computer is having trouble reading the information on that DVD.

If you can burn to the 'image file', then use that file and Disk Copier to burn the DVD. By separating the two processes, your burn is more likely to be successful.

You might also want to restart your computer between burning an 'image file' and actually burning the DVD. That will clear the RAM and that sometimes makes a difference.

Archived