• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

treehousemann

16 x 9 problem: Videowave or capturing problem?

Question

Ok I'm new to EMC9 but love its applications so far. Here's my latest delimma and yes I am learning. I've captured footage via a Sony GV D1000 that is 16 x 9, though during capture it still appeared 4 x 3 and stretched vertically.

My intial thought was not to worry, once inside Videowave I can set the production to 16 x 9. But I was mistaken. The production set in 16 x 9 appears 4 x 3 stretched inside the 16 x 9 framing with black bars on the sides. To say the least that's pretty ugly. So is it the capturing? Is there a way to set the capture to 16 x 9? Or is the problem in videowave? Or is it the deck?

Any input or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Treehousemann

HP Pavillion Dv6000 Notebook PC

AMD Turion 64 x2 Mobile Tl 52 1.60GHz / 512KB

120 GB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive Plus two Lacie 250

2.GB DDR2 SDRAM

256MB NVIDIA R

10 answers to this question

Are you capturing to MPEG? This is a known bug. For some reason the 16:9 flag is lost. Capture to DV AVI and everything should work fine.

Are you capturing to MPEG? This is a known bug. For some reason the 16:9 flag is lost. Capture to DV AVI and everything should work fine.

No. I am going to DV AVI. Its a little strange, since I can go over to windows movie maker and capture there in 16:9, but I'd rather stay in EMC9... Any other suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Treehousemann

I have a Sony digital 8mm camcorder. Here is what I do:

Use Media Capture 9 to capture to DV AVI file

Start Videowave

make sure the project is set for 16:9

Add the DV AVI file

The GV D1000 is a miniDV tape deck, right? What camcorder was used when recording the tape?

post-49-1167457599.jpg

Thanks so much. I will try that right now. Yes it is a deck. It was actually shot on a canon XL2 16:9. I also tried to capture with a canon z300.. but to no avail.. If I have to capture from the original camera I will.. Do you think that would help if this doesn't work?

thanks. You Rock

Really shouldn't make any difference, but certainly wouldn't hurt anything to capture from the XL2. You can also capture from other software. Just use DV AVI type 2. I like to use WinDV (free shareware) sometimes because it captures scenes by timecode into separate files. Those have always worked fine for me in Videowave.

Gary

Thanks so much for your input. I really appreciate it. I am still having problem with this 16:9 capture. Media Capture 9 I have not figured out yet. Technically I am not doing something right. I downloaded WinDV as well, but it captured the 16:9 as 4:3 as well. The one that has captured it as 16:9 was WMM. So I thought I would do my capturing in WMM and bring it over to Videowave. So I did a test and I tried to bring it over to Videowave and it still brought it in as 4:3 in 16:9 format.. I found that really strange. But in WMM its 16:9.. I really don't know WMM, and would still like to figure this out.. but I'm not sure what other options I might have. Irregardless I appreciate your input.. Is there a capture software out there that lets you actually configure to 16:9?

Thanks

Treehousemann

So here is what I have discovered with the little technical knowledge I have. I can do the 16:9 capture in WMM and then if I create a WMM 16:9 movie "clip reel", I can bring that into videowave.

I don't understand it, but for some reason the 16:9 flags in WMM at least activate Videowave" 16:9 format.. But this workflow is a pain and time consuming.

I'm capturing from a lot of different pieces to create 50 or more short clips for the edit. Either I creat a bunch of small WMM movies like 1 to 2 minute each or a create one 30 minute clip real. Can you break up clips in two or more in Videowave? I assume so, but have never needed to... Or is there another recommendation on workflow?

thanks so much..

Tim

Edited by treehousemann

Really odd that WinDV doesn't capture the tape in 16:9. Capturing in WMM should work fine.

1: Capture in WMM and add the entire file to WMM project.

2: Click 'Save to my computer', click next

3: enter filename and choose folder to save the file, click next

4: NExt dialog box is important - Click OTHER SETTINGS and choose DV-AVI (NTSC), click next

This starts the export to file. I've NEVER had a problem with this format and also is teh best format for editing in Videowave. See if that works for you.

Edited by ggrussell

Thanks Gary,

Its working fine.. I really appreciate it.. One other question. I am working with a partner who is a Mac guy and working in Imovie.. Any suggestion on file conversions from EMC9 for macs that they can read and convert to quicktime?

thanks...

Keep everything in DV AVI format and they shouldn't have a problem. No need to convert. Use an external hard drive to exchange data. I'm fairly sure the Mac can read NTFS drives since that OS is based on linux.